A Fluff Piece On AJ Hawk

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People often hate him, but a good sympathetic article:

Green Bay — Micah Hyde was a teenager back in his hometown of Fostoria, Ohio.

Hyde longed to someday play football at Ohio State and didn't miss a snap of his beloved Buckeyes.

And whether Hyde was at Ohio Stadium or in front of his television set at home, there was one player he couldn't take his eyes off.

"A.J. Hawk was the man back in Ohio," said Hyde, now a rookie cornerback for the Green Bay Packers. "Everybody knew who A.J. Hawk was. Everybody knew the middle linebacker for the Buckeyes."

The Packers history book will soon reflect exactly that.

John Anderson, a Packer linebacker from 1978-'89, holds the franchise record for career tackles with 1,020. But Hawk — now in his eighth season — stands a terrific chance to break that mark before the season ends.

Hawk currently sits at 1,010 tackles, 10 off Anderson's mark. With a big day Sunday against Pittsburgh, he will set the record in front of the home fans. If not, he'll almost certainly do it the following week in Chicago.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/tablet/spor...cord-b99164492z1-236248571.html#ixzz2nm2boMqp

Last edited by a moderator:

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I swear i'm dyslexic....I saw the title.."A piece of fluff on A.J. Hawk" wondering what could this be about?

Then I saw it correctly! :x3: Great article, and I didn't realize that he was coming close to breaking those
records. I guess I'll forgive him for a bit ,..if he doesn't break his neck by losing his helmet for the rest of the season!

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if Hawk still uses his hyperbaric chamber that he installed in his house when he came to Green Bay (Howard).
Perhaps that explains his extraordinary availability.
If so, all Packer Players should be required to sleep in one and maybe the injury bug would go away.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, AJ is a good guy, always plays hard, never gets injured. If only he was bigger, stronger, and faster he'd be a great player.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't realize John Anderson was the Packers all time leader in tackles. Good player on some crummy defenses.
Never had a problem with Hawk. Like Oshkosh mentioned, there's something to be said for a player that you can count on showing up every week. He doesn't make a lot of big plays, but he's assignment sure and always plays with maximum effort. I really thought he and Desmond Bishop complimented each other and would form a solid ILB combo before Bishop suffered that serious leg injury.
Many Packer fans felt he hasn't lived up to his draft position and we should have taken Vernon Davis. However, Davis stated he didn't want the Packers to draft him and, while he's very talented, he's also been an occasional headache for the 49er's. I don't think he would have lasted long in Green Bay.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Trivia question: Who is faster, bigger, and stronger between Hawk and CM3?

AJ is

To me, CM3 has lost a step so to speak. He does not seem to be "man handleing" guys like he used to or being able to impose his will on blockers. He also looks a step slower. I know he was out with an injury, but even before that he was not as effective as years past. My wife is a big CM3 fan (wonder why,huh?) and she even says he looks smaller, muscle wise, than he did years past. He does cause some disruption, but he is not hitting home like he used to and QB's are eluding him easily this year, where as in the past he could never miss a sack once he was past the blocker. Maybe he didn't juice up in the off season this past year...lol....Im gunna catch some crap for that, but I think he does juice up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if we just changed the names around....
However, Charles Woodson stated he didn't want the Packers to draft him and, while he's very talented, he's also been an occasional headache for the Raiders. I don't think he would have lasted long in Green Bay.
While I'm still happy that we chose Hawk over Davis, I don't think that Vernon's stated rebuff of Green Bay is noteworthy. Ask the question of every Packer player and I'd bet that most didn't want to come here originally. Woodson didn't want to come here either, but it was his only option. Vernon Davis may have had the same experience. Remember that we are talking about 22-26 year old males that are going to get paid wherever they play. Most want warm weather, girls in bikinis on boats, making it rain in strip clubs, etc. Moving to the hamlet of Green Bay isn't preferred unless they are real football fans. They grow to love Green Bay as they mature and learn what's important in life.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
While I'm still happy that we chose Hawk over Davis, I don't think that Vernon's stated rebuff of Green Bay is noteworthy. Ask the question of every Packer player and I'd bet that most didn't want to come here originally. Woodson didn't want to come here either, but it was his only option. Vernon Davis may have had the same experience. Remember that we are talking about 22-26 year old males that are going to get paid wherever they play. Most want warm weather, girls in bikinis on boats, making it rain in strip clubs, etc. Moving to the hamlet of Green Bay isn't preferred unless they are real football fans. They grow to love Green Bay as they mature and learn what's important in life.

That is true, 100%. Most of the "thugs" don't like a small town city with no action, but it helps keep people out of trouble.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is true, 100%. Most of the "thugs" don't like a small town city with no action, but it helps keep people out of trouble.

Not just thugs, give a red blooded young man a pile of money and Green Bay is the last place he'll want to be. Better to be in Miami or Cali, places known for hot women. Once they learn that they can rent in GB and then go back to wherever in the Off Season then GB doesn't seem so bad.

Edit: I had a Marine client once and I recall him discussing the differences between the hot bikini clad women one might meet while stationed at Kaneoeh Bay versus the women folk inhabiting the area around 29 palms. I believe he used the term Desert Yettis for the later.

Last edited:

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Im a red blooded man, not young.... and I understand things like cost of living and taxes. I would much rather buy a home in GB vs down in Miami. More house for the money = more money in your pocket. If you have that much cash, the girls are gunna be around, you can bet on that. You just wont get that strip to crusie your lambo on, or the multitude of thug clubs to get into trouble in. Then again, if I really wanted to show off my bling, I would turn one level of my home into a club and import a bunch of hot *** to get with.....But I guess I am not as smart as all these college educated big money thugs.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The problem I had with what Davis said is that it was said after the draft and, as far as I'm concerned, completely unnecessary. Woodson still had a choice and he chose to come to Green Bay. I think he had a lower offer from Tampa and could have gone there if weather and hot women were a factor. Back to Davis, I wonder if he ever considers "what might have been" as far as having a chance to play with Rodgers when you consider the 49er's QB play early in his career.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im a red blooded man, not young.... and I understand things like cost of living and taxes. I would much rather buy a home in GB vs down in Miami. More house for the money = more money in your pocket. If you have that much cash, the girls are gunna be around, you can bet on that. You just wont get that strip to crusie your lambo on, or the multitude of thug clubs to get into trouble in. Then again, if I really wanted to show off my bling, I would turn one level of my home into a club and import a bunch of hot *** to get with.....But I guess I am not as smart as all these college educated big money thugs.

But there you go, you're an old geezer ;-). To a lot of young men, with some extra cash, Miami is going to be a much more attractive locale. Who cares in the rent and home prices are insane, you can just earn more money amirite.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not just thugs, give a red blooded young man a pile of money and Green Bay is the last place he'll want to be. Better to be in Miami or Cali, places known for hot women. Once they learn that they can rent in GB and then go back to wherever in the Off Season then GB doesn't seem so bad.

Edit: I had a Marine client once and I recall him discussing the differences between the hot bikini clad women one might meet while stationed at Kaneoeh Bay versus the women folk inhabiting the area around 29 palms. I believe he used the term Desert Yettis for the later.
Take it from a formerly young thug with plenty of cash - Miami is not what it is cracked up to be. I made a fortune running numbers at the horse pull at the county fair. Took my *** to blow it cruising for chicks on Miami Beach. I lasted a day! First off my buggy wheels were not meant for the beach and my horse exhausted from the ordeal of pulling the buggy. The tow, fine for my horse pooping on the beach, vet bills for near heat stroke of my horse, my $380 was gone like that. Went home the next day - never did meet a chick.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Take it from a formerly young thug with plenty of cash - Miami is not what it is cracked up to be. I made a fortune running numbers at the horse pull at the county fair. Took my *** to blow it cruising for chicks on Miami Beach. I lasted a day! First off my buggy wheels were not meant for the beach and my horse exhausted from the ordeal of pulling the buggy. The tow, fine for my horse pooping on the beach, vet bills for near heat stroke of my horse, my $380 was gone like that. Went home the next day - never did meet a chick.

Might want to try Miami, Ohio next time.... might suit the Amish life style better. lol

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re-reading the Hawk article, a question popped into my head and spawned some research. The biggest knock on Hawk is lack of big plays namely TFL, INTs, and fumbles. I don't have data on tackles for loss, but looked up the others two. In the pre-Hawk era back to the start of Ron Wolf's tenure, the Packers averaged 19 INTs and 15 fumbles per season for an annual turnover average of 33. During the Hawk era, the Packers have averaged 24 INTs and 13 fumbles per season for an annual turnover average of 37.

Certainly there are a lot of factors that go into turnovers, but one could make the argument that consistent play and trust between DBs and the Mike leads to more team turnovers. Something to ponder that can never be proven one way or the other.

Members online

Latest posts