A disappointing debut...

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am someone who keeps preseason games in context and never freak out after a poor preseason performance -- esp the first game on the road.

Having said that, I was extremely disappointed by the lack of aggressiveness and physical play. San Diego was not only more aggressive, they played far more physically than the Packers.

Losing a preseason game is not that big a deal, but letting a team physically bully you is not a good sign.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
darn it, i missed the game.

i gather though that the O-line allowed way too many hits on brett which is a HUGE concern to me.

did they come out on the field flat & stay that way or did it get any better later in the game? i'd guess that because we have such a young team that alot of guys may have been nervous/apprehensive early on but i'm hoping to hear that they pulled it together later.

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4pack,it will be on again on monday at noon est. I guess that would be 11:00 am for you out there. It is on the NFL network,if you can get it.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, it was just a poor game all-around. I kept thinking, "A turnover would be nice," but the Packer defense did not look like they were any kind of threat to generate a turnover. As for the offense, it looked more like a lack of skill by the O-line than a lack of aggressiveness. Favre, Rodgers, and the receivers looked pretty aggressive, with the exception of Boerigter getting beaten for the ball on that interception.

I wonder if anyone else noticed Mike Montgomery jumping the snap count on play after play, with nothing to show for it, then he got beaten badly on a run to his inside shoulder, but he kept it up and was eventually called for being offsides.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Bruce I agree with you. I didn't expect that the offense would come out clicking. The zone blocking scheme isn't where it needs to be and those young guards got whooped good. If they're really any good, they'll learn and be better next Saturday. However, I still don't think you can go into the season with two rookie guards and a first year starter at center.

The defense was where I got my dander up. I know they were running basic stuff, but Harris and Woodson got beat consistently as did the young kids. I know people won't like this, but maybe Woodson and Harris should have come to those OTA's so they knew what was going on. I thought Hawk played pretty well, other than getting burned badly on one play. I thought however the Hodge played tentatively. Maybe they're trying to slow him down. As someone else said, I was just looking for a d-back to knock a ball down once in awhile. Boger did at the end of the game. It just seemed that we let them catch the ball and then tackled them. We're going to need to be much more aggressive. Hopefuly the new coach will have seen all of this and will make the necessary correction.

McCarthy sounded like Mike Sherman on his post game interview when he said, all of these things are correctable and we'll have to get after it this week. I'm wondering why they didn't get after it the last two weeks. Let's all just remember that it's a new coaching staff and lets give them some room to see how they make adjustments and make the necessary changes.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl said:
darn it, i missed the game.

i gather though that the O-line allowed way too many hits on brett which is a HUGE concern to me.

did they come out on the field flat & stay that way or did it get any better later in the game? i'd guess that because we have such a young team that alot of guys may have been nervous/apprehensive early on but i'm hoping to hear that they pulled it together later.

PackGirl, you didnt miss anything believe me. I hope for better things though. Only the first game. Dont fret.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with packedhouse, we cannot go into a season with two rookie guards and a first year starter at center. We need to get some veterins in those positions. I wonder if there are any out there for the taking?

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea, I was dissapointed as well.

That O- line is young and learning a whole new blocking scheme. I would expect some improvement come game 2.

Correct me if I missed it but, no INT's, FF's or pass deflections for the D. Lots of work to be done this pre-season.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heatherthepackgirl said:
I agree with packedhouse, we cannot go into a season with two rookie guards and a first year starter at center. We need to get some veterins in those positions. I wonder if there are any out there for the taking?

You just now figured this out?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hes started at center before. spitz did fine. colledge needs to get it together though.

preseason game 1

Reaction score
Bruce said:
I am someone who keeps preseason games in context and never freak out after a poor preseason performance -- esp the first game on the road.

Having said that, I was extremely disappointed by the lack of aggressiveness and physical play. San Diego was not only more aggressive, they played far more physically than the Packers.

Losing a preseason game is not that big a deal, but letting a team physically bully you is not a good sign.

I expected them to be aresive, for McCarthy/Jags/Sanders to get their team to be aggressive. I got the exact opposite. Packers simply looked uninterested in doing the dirty work and showing some spine.

What is most worrying is that we struggled to get our ST units out on punts the first couple of times we punted. That is inexcusible, especially since McCarthy stressed getting in and out of plays really fast in practice. That showed me the staff might not have been prepared to the best of their ability for this game. :(

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
....now we're bellyaching over the punt unit not getting out there in time. Guys are....fighting for positions. there are a lot of new guys out on each punt\kick return, there will be some confusion. its not good to see, but understandable.

Reaction score
I disagree with you there trom.

Guys should know what ST unit they belong too, and when you see 4th and whatever, and the punter waiting, you shouldn't wait until last minute to get on the field. It cost us a penalty first time, and it continued later in the night.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok, well you disagree then. When a guy who probably wont make the team anyway is late getting out there, that doesnt bother me. when theres (how many guys were active for this game?) so many guys fighting for jobs, it comes to special teams, and a lot of them had to split time during kick\punt returns. there will be some confusion. like i said, its not good to see, but understandable.

oh, im sorry, wait. no. its the end of the world.

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heatherthepackgirl said:

There will be some linemen available once the cuts come, but no one exceptional.

Colledge is a good player. I saw him work out at the NFL Combine so he just needs time.

Spitz isn't bad either.

But they both need experience.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
....now we're bellyaching over the punt unit not getting out there in time. Guys are....fighting for positions. there are a lot of new guys out on each punt\kick return, there will be some confusion. its not good to see, but understandable.

I disagree. These are mental blocks. Yes, it is about fighting for a job. Not excuses why the player/s did not get on the field in time.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it makes you feel a little better, San Diego has one of the best fron 7's in football. As does Atlanta. So these guys are going into the thick of things right away. As rookie they're seeing San Diego, Atlanta and then Week 1 against Chicago. That's 3 of the top 5 best front 7's in the game today. So they're going up against stiff compeitition. If they play better next week, it'll show they are taking strides.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
If it makes you feel a little better, San Diego has one of the best fron 7's in football. As does Atlanta. So these guys are going into the thick of things right away. As rookie they're seeing San Diego, Atlanta and then Week 1 against Chicago. That's 3 of the top 5 best front 7's in the game today. So they're going up against stiff compeitition. If they play better next week, it'll show they are taking strides.

oh my gosh... a sensible, level headed response to a preseason game.

a great team from last year with basically all the same units coming back from last year with the same coaching staff. we are basically a brand new team, we arent gonna smoke em 40-0 so lay off. good stuff porky. and strides is what we are looking for, because its preseason game one. we want a solid stride next week, another stride the next week and so on. BUT I THINK ITS FAR MORE IMPORTANT TO POINT OUT HOW BAD WE ARE. BECAUSE IT MAKES US LOOK SMARTER tards. again porky good response

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
San Diego was not a great team last year. Great teams make the playoffs -- San Diego did not make the playoffs.

Look no one was saying the Packers should have smoked them 40 to nothing (you were the only one saying that), or even that they should have won. Rather, that it was disappointing that they did not put up a more aggressive fight. I started this thread naming that it was just a first preseason football game.

Are you saying that you are satisfied with the effort and performance -- if so please let me borrow your glasses.

I want to see better effort and improvement next week, but maybe that is asking too much since we are facing the mighty Atlanta Falcons. Another GREAT football team -- that also did not make the playoffs.

Packnic said:
porky88 said:

oh my gosh... a sensible, level headed response to a preseason game.

a great team from last year with basically all the same units coming back from last year with the same coaching staff. we are basically a brand new team, we arent gonna smoke em 40-0 so lay off. good stuff porky. and strides is what we are looking for, because its preseason game one. we want a solid stride next week, another stride the next week and so on. BUT I THINK ITS FAR MORE IMPORTANT TO POINT OUT HOW BAD WE ARE. BECAUSE IT MAKES US LOOK SMARTER tards. again porky good response

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
IF we see the same mistakes and poor play next week as we did Saturday. Then I think we have cause for concern. Right now. I think the concern is built up from the months of anticipation of the football season.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
San Diego was not a great team last year. Great teams make the playoffs -- San Diego did not make the playoffs.

Maybe not a great team but they did have the #1 run defense in football and one of the best front 7's in the game. So the offensive line is going up against stiff competition early on. Atlanta's front 7 is solid as well. I rather see the Packers young guys play the best early on than play a team like the Saints and then go against Chicago Week 1.

Reaction score
porky88 said:
Bruce said:

Maybe not a great team but they did have the #1 run defense in football and one of the best front 7's in the game. So the offensive line is going up against stiff competition early on. Atlanta's front 7 is solid as well. I rather see the Packers young guys play the best early on than play a team like the Saints and then go against Chicago Week 1.

Thank you for actually disagreeing without resorting to name calling/personally attacking Bruce. :D

Ultimately, I had a long drive to think things out. What happened is history, and useless to keep bringing up.

I'm looking forward to this Sunday, when we get to see the O-line back at it, and hopefully this time they have a little more fire in their belly.

I think it is safe to say all of us Packer fans will be reading very closely about the going ons of our O-line in practice this week.

Roddy_Alberse

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Yeah, it was just a poor game all-around. I kept thinking, "A turnover would be nice," but the Packer defense did not look like they were any kind of threat to generate a turnover. As for the offense, it looked more like a lack of skill by the O-line than a lack of aggressiveness. Favre, Rodgers, and the receivers looked pretty aggressive, with the exception of Boerigter getting beaten for the ball on that interception.

I wonder if anyone else noticed Mike Montgomery jumping the snap count on play after play, with nothing to show for it, then he got beaten badly on a run to his inside shoulder, but he kept it up and was eventually called for being offsides.

They're gonna miss Jim Bates this year more than you realize!

wayneweltzin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if anything was positive, Rodgers looked pretty solid other then the INT. He had good zip on the ball, he had that nice toss to Jennings. Looked pretty comfortable and really showed he can move around. I did not realize he was that mobile.
~Wayne

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seemed to me that a our zone blocking going against a 3-4 D is trickier than a 4-3. SD d seemed to to be farther outside of their blocking zones and simply went around the persuing OL. Though its not the end of the owrld it is disappointing in the sense that you practice like its a game yet preseason means nothing. I disagree, it(preseason) sets a tone whether guys give it their all, quit on plays, or play 'til the whistle blows. You'd think that if you're on the bubble of making a team that you wouldn't play your a%$ off.
If the OL doesn't see much more improvement, the Favre streak will end this year. Oh BTW I thought the horse collar tackle was to be illegal this year yet Favre's 2nd sack was a horse collar with no flag.

Members online

Latest posts