A coaches view

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I spoke with a coach for the packers recently as we have mutual friends and while most of what he said that involved the packers was what I expected or overly positive, something that blew me away was his take on our first round draft pick. He basically said Bulaga is a big ***** and has no heart or toughness. I hope thats just a frustrated coach thats sick of dealing with 21 yr olds and not a sign of things to come. Also as far as free agent activity he said the front office was pushing to get Merriman but the coaches were against him because they felt he is diva and a product of juice not hard work.

I know some of you will strongly disagree with these views but I figured I would post some of what I heard. So how much trouble does everyone think we could be in if Bulaga isnt a legit T?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard some fans say that really kind to them, stopped to sign every autograph. Doesn't obligatory translates to him being comitted, but I have a hard time seeing a ***** attending to almost every fan that stops him to ask for an autograph... Plus, Ferentz? Iowa? Have you heard of any ***** coming out of there, let alone on the OL? If Bulaga didn't have any heart, he probably wouldn't have even played in there...

As far as Merriman, 4 sacks in the last 2 years isn't very good. There can be a motive, he had a very troublesome injury, and he's very young. But you can't dismiss the fact that, after he got caught for peds, his production dropped tremenduously. And that he's kind of a diva, also.

But, I can't affirm on anything. That coach's opinion might very well be true, but I don't see any of them.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I spoke with a coach for the packers recently as we have mutual friends and while most of what he said that involved the packers was what I expected or overly positive, something that blew me away was his take on our first round draft pick. He basically said Bulaga is a big ***** and has no heart or toughness. I hope thats just a frustrated coach thats sick of dealing with 21 yr olds and not a sign of things to come. Also as far as free agent activity he said the front office was pushing to get Merriman but the coaches were against him because they felt he is diva and a product of juice not hard work.

I know some of you will strongly disagree with these views but I figured I would post some of what I heard. So how much trouble does everyone think we could be in if Bulaga isnt a legit T?

I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing an NFL coach would say something like this about a player to a complete stranger these days knowing full well this kind of statement would be spread like wild fire to the media and across the Internet. If indeed a coach really said this his employment days may be coming to an end when MM and/or TT get wind of it.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is way to early to judge, they haven't put on the pads yet. I know when I was in high school with two a-days with no pads I got bored going through the drills, once the pads came on then I got excited, especially for a lineman.

As for the person posting this thread it only his word with no credible proof, not calling him a lier, but there is no evidence to support his claims.

As far as Merriman is concerned, the Packers consider everybody who maybe available. I am sure the front office gets an idea and presents it to the coaching staff and it is discussed. Hundreds of players are evaluated like this but only a handful of players are pursued.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing an NFL coach would say something like this about a player to a complete stranger these days knowing full well this kind of statement would be spread like wild fire to the media and across the Internet. If indeed a coach really said this his employment days may be coming to an end when MM and/or TT get wind of it.

I figured people wouldnt like to hear this and I would be attacked in some way.

But to clarify I never was on here to deliver "proof" it was more of a take it at face value that you heard it from someone on the internet. As far as being a complete stranger thats not true at all and I dont know where you got that from. We have a mutual friend. The coach is best friends with one of my friends and was spending time with him as its his only free time of the summer. I dont bother the coach or ask him for anything as we are not close friends but we are not complete strangers. If you think coaches are like secret agents and dont tell anyone anything then your being foolish. He was talking about recent activity in Green Bay and I thought I would mention it on here as some of you might want to take note of it. I really get nothing out of telling anyone any of this, and I have no way of proving any of it and I wont revel the coach for obvious reasons.

Im sure anyone on here can look back and see I have never been high on Merriman but that has always been because I thought he was a cocky punk and wants more money than he deserves. Bryan I have been indifferent about, but was happy he was chosen and I felt we got great value in the pick. If anything I would be contradicting myself from previous statements.

The said coach is very busy year around and I really dont see him very often in a social setting like this so I dont have access to ask him anything further, until maybe next season at this time. I can tell you the play book is insanely huge and he has it with him almost 24/7. Not trying to start some internet fight, so everyone take it as an internet rumor.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But to clarify I never was on here to deliver "proof" it was more of a take it at face value that you heard it from someone on the internet. As far as being a complete stranger thats not true at all and I dont know where you got that from. We have a mutual friend. The coach is best friends with one of my friends and was spending time with him as its his only free time of the summer. I dont bother the coach or ask him for anything as we are not close friends but we are not complete strangers. If you think coaches are like secret agents and dont tell anyone anything then your being foolish. He was talking about recent activity in Green Bay and I thought I would mention it on here as some of you might want to take note of it. I really get nothing out of telling anyone any of this, and I have no way of proving any of it and I wont revel the coach for obvious reasons.

Im sure anyone on here can look back and see I have never been high on Merriman but that has always been because I thought he was a cocky punk and wants more money than he deserves. Bryan I have been indifferent about, but was happy he was chosen and I felt we got great value in the pick. If anything I would be contradicting myself from previous statements.

The said coach is very busy year around and I really dont see him very often in a social setting like this so I dont have access to ask him anything further, until maybe next season at this time. I can tell you the play book is insanely huge and he has it with him almost 24/7. Not trying to start some internet fight, so everyone take it as an internet rumor.
Was it Campen? It was Campen, wasn't it? I bet he doesn't think Bulaga has the competitiveness of a Tony Moll, Alan Barbre or Breno Giacomini...

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
I've had mixed feelings about Bulaga. I was stoked on draft day, but he didn't seem happy he ended up in GB. I passed it off as being overwhelmed by draft day and didn't give it much thought, and was relieved when an article came out saying he was happy he ended up in GB.

But soon after we got a preview video of our Oline drills in rookie camp, or OTAs (don't remember), and Bulaga had to start over a couple times, where as others were clearly showing good stuff.

Overall I hope he has a good work ethic, but wouldn't be surprised if the pressure is getting to him in camp and the coaches aren't seeing what they expected.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was it Campen? It was Campen, wasn't it? I bet he doesn't think Bulaga has the competitiveness of a Tony Moll, Alan Barbre or Breno Giacomini...

I wish it was, maybe that way I could try and get him fired by calling the packers and asking if they had a comment on his opinion.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what was a coach that didn't have OL responsabilities doing talking about an Olinemen?

I think its fair to say if your a coach of the packers you are entitled to give your opinion on anyone on the roster. But just because its not the oline coach doesnt mean he doesnt deal with the oline in any way. Were not playing the guessing game though.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackersRS:

"Was it Campen? It was Campen, wasn't it? I bet he doesn't think Bulaga has the competitiveness of a Tony Moll, Alan Barbre or Breno Giacomini..."

Exactly what I was thinking. Campen seems unable to decide who can play, or where they can play on the O line. Ferentz, on the other hand, has been very successful in molding guys into great linemen. I'm betting Bulaga will be just fine.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I didn't mean to attack you. If this coach did indeed say this then that coach might be the one in hot water. I doubt MM and/or TT would like to have this kind of talk out in the open.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've had mixed feelings about Bulaga. I was stoked on draft day, but he didn't seem happy he ended up in GB. I passed it off as being overwhelmed by draft day and didn't give it much thought, and was relieved when an article came out saying he was happy he ended up in GB.

But soon after we got a preview video of our Oline drills in rookie camp, or OTAs (don't remember), and Bulaga had to start over a couple times, where as others were clearly showing good stuff.

Overall I hope he has a good work ethic, but wouldn't be surprised if the pressure is getting to him in camp and the coaches aren't seeing what they expected.

Bulaga probably wanted to go somewhere where he'd be the starter and is disappointed he is a back-up to Clifton but is saying all the right things in public.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Bulaga probably wanted to go somewhere where he'd be the starter and is disappointed he is a back-up to Clifton but is saying all the right things in public.

Possibly, but after the performance of our oline last year, and the age of Clifton GB is one of the best places he can start. Isn't it really rare for a oline draft pick to start season 1? And I compeletly agree on the saying the right things in public, it would be dumb not too.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If his play dictates it, Bulaga could start at RT and then get shifted to the left side if and when Clifton goes down. If he doesn't get playing time, it will be Bulaga's fault - not the situation he is in in GB.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^I dunno how I feel about shifting around tackles like that. It could be better to just let him develop in one area.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I always felt that Bulaga liked being picked by the Pack. He said it right off the bat on NFL network during draft day that the Pack fit him the best and he loved the cold. I'm not basing Bulaga's motivation or skill based on OTAs alone. Joe Thomas, Jake Long and Ryan Clady (the top 3 lineman in the past 3 years) were all slow during their own minicamps. Just give Bulaga some time.

I have complete confidence in Bulaga and hate to play devil's advocate. But for the reasons you specified, it kind of explains why he fell all the way from a top 5 pick to pick 23. The 49ers passed on him twice and even Pittsburgh who drafted Pouncey, could have had a better guard in Bulaga. But then again their evaluation of talent and scheme always plays a big part in things.

I know we're Packer fans and the image of former first round lineman Tony Mandarich will forever haunt us. But let's have some faith and hopefully Bulaga will be worth it.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^I dunno how I feel about shifting around tackles like that. It could be better to just let him develop in one area.

I dont feel its a big deal to move him to RT, Oher last season was a RT and this season he will be LT I believe. Clays uncle played all 5 positions but he is about as rare and as talented as you get for an o lineman.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont feel its a big deal to move him to RT, Oher last season was a RT and this season he will be LT I believe. Clays uncle played all 5 positions but he is about as rare and as talented as you get for an o lineman.

Michael Oher played RT in Baltimore last year and had a great season. I believe he is playing LT this season.

Michael Oher: Best on the Right Side in NFL? - Baltimore Beatdown

Moves like this happen all the time. If Bulaga is better than Tauscher, then he should start at RT (and probably release Tauscher, but that is for a different thread).

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Michael Oher played RT in Baltimore last year and had a great season. I believe he is playing LT this season.

Michael Oher: Best on the Right Side in NFL? - Baltimore Beatdown

Moves like this happen all the time. If Bulaga is better than Tauscher, then he should start at RT (and probably release Tauscher, but that is for a different thread).

Very true. Ryan Clady and Jake Long all got snaps at the right side during their own preseasons before switching to the left. I think it could definitely work with Bulaga as well. I just don't see us releasing Tauscher. He's a great backup and inked to a 2 year deal so why not just let him play it out?

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very true. Ryan Clady and Jake Long all got snaps at the right side during their own preseasons before switching to the left. I think it could definitely work with Bulaga as well. I just don't see us releasing Tauscher. He's a great backup and inked to a 2 year deal so why not just let him play it out?

The reason I would consider releasing Tauscher if he doesn't start is there may be a numbers problem on the O-line. We will probably keep 9 or 10, if history is any indication. And we have an issue in having to replace not 1, but 2 starting OTs over the next 2 years (probably). So, we can't afford to let good potential talent leave. Here are the guys I see in the mix to make the 53 man:

Clifton
Colledge
Wells
Sitton
Tauscher

Bulaga
Spitz
Dietrich-Smith
Newhouse
Lang

McDonald
Giacomini
Barbre

I think with this many people in the mix, they would need some sort of guide like if a guy doesn't start this year or is projected to start 2 years from now, they don't make the team.

I think the long-term answer (2 years) at RT is probably Lang (or possibly Giacomini depending on the truth to the preseason hype). So, why hold onto a guy that isn't starting now and is not in their long-term plans? The only gotcha is if Clifton goes down and Bulaga has to shift over. They would need to feel comfortable with both Lang and one other guy at RT for this to work. I guess it depends on the depth the coaching staff feels it has during training camp.

That's the way I see it anyway.

Members online

Latest posts