A Chiefs' perspective on today and the Saints

kcfaninkc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off, I want to say that I am a Packers fan, especially an Aaron Rodgers fan. I love his attitude. I wanted the Chiefs to win today but I also want us to draft Robert Griffin III, so a loss today would not have been an entirely bad thing.

Anyways, I feel like many are getting way too worked up over this loss. And it is especially annoying that some people give the Chiefs no credit and think the Chiefs are worthless, horrible, etc. But lets look at it because we have some great players.

The Chiefs have only given up one 300 yard passer this season which was an overtime game against Philip Rivers where he threw no td passes. That is without our best defensive player all season (Eric Berry) and includes playing these QBs - Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Rivers (another time) and Brady.

On defense we have one elite corner in Flowers, and another top corner in Carr. We have a top 2 to 3 pass rusher in Hali (whom you guys saw in action) and an underratted elite linebacker in D. Johnson. We get pressure on the QB which Rodgers certainly was affected by today.

We have a top 5 receiving group in Bowe, Breaston, and Baldwin. We have a solid offensive line that is good enough to protect a competent QB (Palko was not one, Orton is) and open holes for our horribly slow RBs which you saw today giving us the 14th ranked rush attack. Imagine what Charles does, considering he did it all last year.

The chiefs have won six games this year without our best offensive player (Charles), best defensive player (Berry) and a QB safety net (Moeaki) all out for the season. Worst of all, we have been with Tyler Palko for the past 4 games. What you saw today was what we can do with a decent NFL quarterback. Palko is just plain awful and Cassel is too skiddish and tends to panic in the pocket. We have plenty of good pieces. Yeah we only scored 19 points today, but with Charles or even just Orton playing with us longer we convert at least one more TD.

All I am asking for is a little credit to the Chiefs and the realization that there is no shame in losing on the road after 19 straight victories and still being in the game considering how much worst it could have been. Packers are still Super Bowl favorites IMO. Destruction of the Bears next week will solitify your homefield advantage.

One more thing, Green Bay is better than New Orleans. Outside of today vs Minnesota, New Orleans has yet to play a complete game on the road. Last years playoff loss to Seattle is further evidence of that (surely you guys haven't forgot about that embarrasment). New Orleans' defense is essentially the exact same as Green Bays, except Green Bay has better individual players in Matthews, Raji, Woodson. The only concern seems to be New Orleans peeking at the right time, but just last week they almost got beat by the back up Tennessee QB on the final drive. New Orleans in the Superdome, tough. New Orleans on the road, especially outside, Packers win.

*Edit-not trying to be a troll. Just providing some outside perspective on our game today, as well as the Saints, whom I think some are giving too much credit to.

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice! Thank you for giving your perspective. I didn't want to underrate KC at all going into that game, considering that their defense is pretty good, especially Hali.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I agree the chiefs aren't getting the credit they deserve. They played their hearts out and won, sure the packers also played lousy, yet the chiefs took full advantage of that. I was not looking forward to facing the chiefs defence and I thought their offense would be a whole nother animal, which it was. Congrats and may the next meeting be an even better game

PackAttack1992

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chiefs played great today. Their offense put our defense to shame. Our defense was leaky and suspect going in (as it has been all year), but the injuries sealed the deal. And Rodgers and our receivers were frustratingly out-of-sync today. Our o-line was horrible as Rodgers was rarely comfortable in the pocket and constantly pressured and sacked. So I'd agree that the better team won today, based on today's playing.

So congrats on today's win. This gives the Packers something else to work on in the coming weeks if they expect to be a true play-off team.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
Good post, KCfan. No matter how you look at it, the Packers were out-played today. The Chief's played a better game and deserved the W. In defense of Packers fans, we were on a fast train that hit a brick wall. We did not expect nor were prepared for this outcome so some tempers are raging. Thanks for throwing a bucket of cold water on some of our ranting fans.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Agreed, the Chiefs did play a great game today. They were making a lot of things work. I lost Jamaal Charles from my fantasy team this year, so I kind of feel your pain.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
You have to give credit to the Chiefs, you really do.
They are also the only likable team in the AFC West. I hope Romeo Crenell has success as a head coach there. People talk **** about him like he's trash, but he did win 10 games for the Browns one year and missed the playoffs. He's a good defensive coach.

The Saints are peeking at the right time, but I watched the Tennessee game and I don't think anyone seen that Jimmy Graham TD that was called back, yeah they would have blew them out had that game been officiated correctly.

Most people don't watch the Saints when they talk about how bad they are on the road. Last year they played 3 cold weather games, and did win one. I don't think they lost to Seattle because they "suck on the road" Brees put the ball in the air 60 times in that game. They had 450 yards, and 400 alone was from 60 pass attempts. That was a cold weather game and they scored 30 something points in it. They absolutely struggled running the ball last year, they were abandoning the run almost entirely, and set a franchise record for least rushing attempts in team history. They run the ball much, much better than they did last season, and you see the results. You can win by making your QB put it up that much, but not forever (Hint, Hint, 1989-1993 Houston Oilers)

I know many don't agree with me on this, but running the ball is going to be a key factor for the Packers in the playoffs. We have struggled to run the ball at the wrong time this season. Yeah I know it's a passing league blah blah blah, but the 100+ yard rushing games last year at the end of the season and in the playoffs were a HUGE momentum. Look, you can't tell Rodgers to get out there and put it up 40-50 times a game cause we can't run the ball. The Saints did that with Brees last year, that is why they lost in the first round, they could not run the ball at all. Remember when we had those close losses last year? Most of them, we could not run the ball in. When we lost to Atlanta, it was Rodgers doing everything without a running game. Even though he was hurt against the Lions, don't forget Rodgers was leading rusher in that game, even though he didn't play it that long. It may be a quarterback league, but you can't win without a run game. That is my biggest concern offensively. If this team could run the ball like they did early in the season, we would have nothing to worry about at all, even with our garbage pass coverage. Running = chewing up the clock.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Bogart I know how important running the ball is. Playing D. All this stuff. I am a Colts fan after all. I have seen a lot of these things bite them in the rears at the worst time.
Also, on the flip side i have seen units dramatically improve at the right time.

I sincerely hope this ends up being the year we think it will for the Packers. I may be sick to my stomach if I have to sit through another loss to the Saints or also see the Packers lose to a team I despise in the SB. The Packers are honestly the only hope for most Colts fans too right now to win it all in our house since we pretty much hate most other teams in the playoffs or have bad memories to others.

Sometimes I think we as fans over analyze but thats what we are on forums for......

Often to me, the toughest playoff game for a team like this is the first game.

PackAttack1992

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that running the ball is important. I like to see them test the run game against the defense early on, to see how it's working. If proven unsuccessful, however, I hate when MM almost tries to keep forcing the running game when it's not working.

And the same goes for the passing game, which I felt today; I thought they were forcing the passing game too much today, and unsuccessfully (all those dropped/missed passes). I think the Packers should of tried to run the ball a little more since there was something there with Grant. Not much, but it would of been better than all those bad throws.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good perspective, KCfan and firstly, congrats on the win as much as it pains me to say. The Chiefs are underrated. Maybe today people will take more notice of them and start to give them the credit they deserve. Unfortunately they had to beat the Packers to do it. I was actually very impressed with way the Chiefs played today. You can chalk it up to the Packers played badly but you also got to admit the Chiefs played brilliantly. Again, congrats to your Chiefs and good luck with the rest of your season and beyond.

OP
OP
K

kcfaninkc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks to everyones congratulations! I was not exactly expecting that :tup: Even had we lost at the end the way they played made us Chiefs fans proud. They played hard and have not given up on the season. Green Bay didn't play horrible by a regular teams standards, but by their own, they just seemed off today. Glad we could take advantage :)

OP
OP
K

kcfaninkc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to give credit to the Chiefs, you really do.
They are also the only likable team in the AFC West. I hope Romeo Crenell has success as a head coach there. People talk **** about him like he's trash, but he did win 10 games for the Browns one year and missed the playoffs. He's a good defensive coach.

The Saints are peeking at the right time, but I watched the Tennessee game and I don't think anyone seen that Jimmy Graham TD that was called back, yeah they would have blew them out had that game been officiated correctly.

Most people don't watch the Saints when they talk about how bad they are on the road. Last year they played 3 cold weather games, and did win one. I don't think they lost to Seattle because they "suck on the road" Brees put the ball in the air 60 times in that game. They had 450 yards, and 400 alone was from 60 pass attempts. That was a cold weather game and they scored 30 something points in it. They absolutely struggled running the ball last year, they were abandoning the run almost entirely, and set a franchise record for least rushing attempts in team history. They run the ball much, much better than they did last season, and you see the results. You can win by making your QB put it up that much, but not forever (Hint, Hint, 1989-1993 Houston Oilers)

I know many don't agree with me on this, but running the ball is going to be a key factor for the Packers in the playoffs. We have struggled to run the ball at the wrong time this season. Yeah I know it's a passing league blah blah blah, but the 100+ yard rushing games last year at the end of the season and in the playoffs were a HUGE momentum. Look, you can't tell Rodgers to get out there and put it up 40-50 times a game cause we can't run the ball. The Saints did that with Brees last year, that is why they lost in the first round, they could not run the ball at all. Remember when we had those close losses last year? Most of them, we could not run the ball in. When we lost to Atlanta, it was Rodgers doing everything without a running game. Even though he was hurt against the Lions, don't forget Rodgers was leading rusher in that game, even though he didn't play it that long. It may be a quarterback league, but you can't win without a run game. That is my biggest concern offensively. If this team could run the ball like they did early in the season, we would have nothing to worry about at all, even with our garbage pass coverage. Running = chewing up the clock.
I admit to being the person who doesn't watch the Saints, except for the national games. All I know is I have learned my lesson and no matter who the Saints play, I will not put money for them on the road anymore. Lol.

Regarding the running the ball, I seem to recall that last year, Green Bay was running just well enough when they needed to. Wasn't it like 50 yards in the Super Bowl? Well timed though. And today Grant was getting some holes and yards because we were certainly playing for the pass. I was really surprised Green Bay didn't try to run the ball more. Especially when your offensive linemen got hurt. Is that a common theme throughout the year to just ignore the fact that their is success running the ball?

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO ......Hang on a sec with all the tough love for the Chiefs, Please!

YES

The Chiefs were PUMPED for this game,. Their season was shot long before today. This was their Super Bowl.

As for KC being anything other than a bottom tier team ...Not a chance!

Every team in the NFL has good athletes. The better teams get them to perform better, together. over the long run. Period. A week ago, Chris Gocong of the Cleveland Browns spear-headed a Cleveland goal-line stand, stopping the Steelers 4 times from within the 5 yard line. Does that mean Cleveland is a better team during the course of the season...NO WAY!

KC's offense STINKS. They're near the bottom in scoring for a a reason. THEY'RE JUST NOT GOOD!

TODAY..
THEY WANTED THIS GAME MORE THAN THE PACKERS. They performed. THEY WON.
The Packers were FLAT ALL DAY. The Pack played "with great lethargy". THEY LOST.

ARE THE CHIEFS BETTER THAN THE PACK ?---- NOOOOO.
DID KC PLAY BETTER TODAY? ====YES.

Lesson: Regardless of expectations, the league makes the teams play the games for a reason. The better team has got to DO it on the field.

I have got to believe the Pack is having this loss burn in their brains, just as this loss was burnt into their hides by the Chiefs.

I don't think the Pack is going to overlook any team in the foreseeable future....

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I admit to being the person who doesn't watch the Saints, except for the national games. All I know is I have learned my lesson and no matter who the Saints play, I will not put money for them on the road anymore. Lol.

Regarding the running the ball, I seem to recall that last year, Green Bay was running just well enough when they needed to. Wasn't it like 50 yards in the Super Bowl? Well timed though. And today Grant was getting some holes and yards because we were certainly playing for the pass. I was really surprised Green Bay didn't try to run the ball more. Especially when your offensive linemen got hurt. Is that a common theme throughout the year to just ignore the fact that their is success running the ball?

We ran the ball over 100 in 3 or 4 games at the end of last season, and in the playoffs our lowest rushing total was 96 against Atlanta. I think running the ball really helped the Pack in the end.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Losing to the Chiefs didn't hurt like a loss to Denver or San Diego would have.

I kinda like the Chiefs. I think Romeo Crenell is a better guy than he gets credit for, and I used to like them when Marty Schottenhiemer brought in Joe Cool and Marcus Allen there.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
We ran the ball over 100 in 3 or 4 games at the end of last season, and in the playoffs our lowest rushing total was 96 against Atlanta. I think running the ball really helped the Pack in the end.

Running the ball always helps obviously.
My biggest fear for the Packers is still the first playoff game and it sometimes can be a tricky one when you are facing a team with momentum. That often can be the trap game to me coming off a bye week for high potent offenses with lackluster Ds.

gbforever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well it's obvious the Chiefs players want Romeo Crennel as their permanent coach, it's a good sign for a team when a guy can get his players to play like that in his first game with the season pretty much shot.

Members online

Latest posts