A cheap question about a cheap Safety...

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see where the Vikings just signed Mike Doss to a one year-$1mil contract. Now I know the guy is 30 yrs. old but he played for the champs so he MUST have something left. Given our weakness at S, I wonder if TT even bothered to consider the guy. Obviously, TT intends to draft a S,(Lord, I would hope so) and apparently has an over abundance of faith in Manuel suddenly remembering how to play his position, but what's the harm of signing an experienced guy just in case his dreams don't pan out? The contract wouldn't be guaranteed during camp if he wasn't needed. Many Packer fans now assume TT has a magical plan to build in a way even Bill Bellichick hasn't discovered. This leap of faith in TT is almost mind-boggling. It dismisses any other possible scenerios. His inaction now places a very heavy burden on him to strike it rich in the draft. If he doesn't, and remembering that it's a crap shoot we're talking about, he will add another year at least to this re-building process. A smart man would be covering his bets just a bit. JMHO.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Doss is 26. I was on the bring Mike Doss to Green Bay bandwagon for a while now. I'm disappointed that they didn't do so and the Vikings signing him is a surprise considering what they have at safety already and they are also in position to grab Landry from LSU in the Draft. This could spell the end for Darren Shaper in Minnesota.

Anyways, Thompson is overconfident in some of the players on this roster like Manuel. The only way the Pack survive with Manuel is if he's a backup. Which means Marviel Underwood is going to have to step it up as much as I think he's capable of.

I hope the Pack Draft at least one Safety in the first four rounds though. At least bring some competition so the players have to work harder instead of being given everything like Manuel was a year ago.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doss is a very limited player...there is a reason he is making what he is this year on a one uear deal. I prefer to put my faith in a healthy Marviel Underwood...the kid was showing very well when he went down last year.....and look to the draft to bolster the position.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doss is a very limited player...there is a reason he is making what he is this year on a one uear deal. I prefer to put my faith in a healthy Marviel Underwood...the kid was showing very well when he went down last year.....and look to the draft to bolster the position.

Agreed.

I read the no safety activity as an endorsement for Underwood to fight it out and eventually beat Manuel for the job. Underwood was starting to show he was a load before he got hurt. A very athletic guy.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a great Doss story. Several years ago I was sitting in my favorite bar. It's a real hole in the wall, kind of out in the middle of nowhere. Anyways, I get to talking to this girl who I've never seen there before and we get on the subject of kids and what not and shows me a picture of her boy who was probably 6-7 at the time. Now this chick was a redhead and her kid was clearly mixed. Anyways I saw the back of the picture and it had Michael Doss or something Michael Doss and the age written on it. Before I could even say anything she was like "yep, THAT Michael Doss".

She was from Massillon which is right next to Canton where Doss grew up and this bar was in between Canton and my town. Anyways I asked her friend and she told me that she wasn't lying that she had Mike Doss's baby when she was like 16 and when Doss was playing for McKinley.

We talked about that for over an hour and she told me how he has nothing to do his his kid besides an occassional phone call an how he was so far behind in Child Support. At this time he just finished up at OSU and had not been drafted yet. She said as soon as he signed his contract in the NFL she was going to start pressing the issue about Child Support.

All the sudden this very average chick became a god to me. I saw dollar signs!!! I talked to her the rest of the night and she gave me her phone number and I never called her. What a *******! I think I still got that number somewhere if anybodies interested, lol!

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In fertility terms, Mike Doss is a poor man's Tom Brady.
In footballing terms. Mike Doss is a poor man's Marquand Manuel.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Culver has more promise at safety than Doss. Right now we've got 4 legit options at safety: Collins, Underwood, Culver and Manuel. There are also some other young guys pushing to get noticed. Add a draft pick or 2 to the mix and it makes sense that TT passed up on Doss.

IMO our biggest problem at safety isn't talent, it's experience. I think Culver and Underwood are key in that department. Both will come into this season with much more experience. Collins is entering his 3rd year. The experience they have gained will pay off.

GO PACK GO!!!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed...Culver and Underwood offer a lot of promise. I look for Colling to improve leaps and bounds. As far as Manuel...basically, the whole secondary got burned until late last season and then improved drastically in the last 6 weeks....Manuel included. Let them compete and the cream will rise to the top.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
Culver has more promise at safety than Doss. Right now we've got 4 legit options at safety: Collins, Underwood, Culver and Manuel. There are also some other young guys pushing to get noticed. Add a draft pick or 2 to the mix and it makes sense that TT passed up on Doss.

IMO our biggest problem at safety isn't talent, it's experience. I think Culver and Underwood are key in that department. Both will come into this season with much more experience. Collins is entering his 3rd year. The experience they have gained will pay off.

GO PACK GO!!!

Agreed. I believe the staff would say (and really mean it) that they feel good about the safety position.

Therefore I would be surprised to see a lot of activity there before they address CB where they need help covering 3 and 4 receiver sets and counting their current CB's birthdays.

I would like to see them bring in Underwood and put Collins back where he was before. I think that would be a very productive move. Collins was definately better in the other safety spot.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts