A bit puzzled . . .

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are up 21 pts and we get back to back turnovers, and we can stick a fork in it and get our starters off the field. But no, we run for no gains and do a whole series of 3 and outs. Then allow them to get within 14. Jordy is still out there, getting dinged up, and McCarthy, once again, has Cobb returning punts, for no good reason as Cobb hardly got 5 yds in any return.

We were playing a team with a QB about as good as our own Harrell, with crappy receivers and crappy defensive corners. The score should have been 38-3 at the end of the 3rd qtr. Then, perhaps, in the 4th qtr, we could put Harrell in there to hand the ball off to Grant and take our 3 and outs.

Props to the defense though in containing Adrian Peterson - it is about all MN had going for them today. If they play that well next week, we can make a good game of it with SF.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I questioned the decision not to pull starters too. The game was already won, why risk injury to Rodgers, Jordy or Cobb? It wasn't as if the Vikings were going anywhere. I'm happy about the overall high level of play though. I don't think we will be considering pulling starters against SF next week so lets get this out of our systems now.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are up 21 pts and we get back to back turnovers, and we can stick a fork in it .
Webb and that offense are so bad, we didn't need to stick a fork in them.
Our DBs had as good of a chance at catching any long throws as their WRs did....

Tonight with Webb was basically a bye for us. We're just back to square 2 like last year when we faced the Giants in the Divisional. But Kaepernick is a lot better than Webb of course. And Vernon Davis.... Crabtree.... Moss....
And then they have that physical defense on all 3 levels, DL, LB, and DB.... it goes from a WAC team to an SEC team next week from tonight.

OP
OP
LZ13

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I questioned the decision not to pull starters too. The game was already won, why risk injury to Rodgers, Jordy or Cobb? It wasn't as if the Vikings were going anywhere. I'm happy about the overall high level of play though. I don't think we will be considering pulling starters against SF next week so lets get this out of our systems now.

Trouble is, we were not in a position to pull starters. Who knows if AP will not escape containment on the next play? Truthfully, this game was not fully out of reach til the last catch by Jordy to get the first down. And with the MN turnovers, we should have had a size-able lead.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
with 13 mins to go was a bad series..
Run
Run
Pass

But the next series were fine for me..Just bad execution on the Packers

10 mins to go...
Pass to Jennings, he couldnt make his guy miss..2 yard gain
Pass to Jennings again but Allen tips it
Pass to Kuhn for 6 yards

Then at 630 mark
Grant for 7
so logic says run another
but he lost 5
Then Rodgers gets sacked

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the whole team just kind of relaxed a bit and it is hard to get it back once it is gone.

PackersDraft

Draftnik
Reaction score
We just didn't want to give away anything that we might use for next week. No one was seriously hurt, so it was a great night. After we had a 3 possession lead we just went on cruise control mode and just did a bunch of run plays and check downs. Just get out of there with the win.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
I mean they scored that TD with like 7 minutes to go. Aka in garbage time. I wish we would keep the pedal to the metal.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The players on the field and fans that understand the sport could see this was an *** kicking. Gaudy scores, like big jewelry and shiny cars, are for idiots.

We went vanilla because we didn't want to give the Niners more quality film than necessary. Why show everything we can run out of our more exotic formations? -Glad none of the critics are calling shots for my team.

The Niners, BTW, kicked our *** in week 1 far more than the final score indicated.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense looked like crap. Should have been a 50 point game. Meh. On to the next one.

OP
OP
LZ13

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel the same way. Just once I'd like to see this team be ruthless and obliterate a team.

What would all of you had done if say Jordy dropped that last pass, AP ran it in for a TD on the next possession, and then they somehow recovered an onsides kick, scored again, and some how won in OT? Not that it was likely to happen, but it was possible. Just wondering.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
What would all of you had done if say Jordy dropped that last pass, AP ran it in for a TD on the next possession, and then they somehow recovered an onsides kick, scored again, and some how won in OT? Not that it was likely to happen, but it was possible. Just wondering.

Woke up from our dream?

OP
OP
LZ13

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, it would be a bit surreal if somehow we managed to lose, but this type of thing can and does happen in sports, even if infrequently. It would have gone down as probably the biggest upset and comeback in NFL playoff history. It should not have even been a possibility, given our opposition.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good grief. We handled them. The Vikings looked like a JV team. Sure it was possible they could have come back.

It's possible that an alien spacecraft might crash land on my roof, but it's not worth the effort for me to reinforce my house to avoid that possibility. Sometimes it's better to focus your energy on more reasonable scenarios. Like the 49'ers.

The Packers plan to win the Super Bowl, and it's gonna be a long road. They were saving it a bit for the next game.

So, in summation, we embarrassed an anemic Vikings team; a team that was riding high after beating us last week. When the game was no longer in question we backed off a bit, in preparation for the 49'ers, and Packer fans are.... upset?

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good grief. We handled them. The Vikings looked like a JV team. Sure it was possible they could have come back.

It's possible that an alien spacecraft might crash land on my roof, but it's not worth the effort for me to reinforce my house to avoid that possibility. Sometimes it's better to focus your energy on more reasonable scenarios. Like the 49'ers.

The Packers plan to win the Super Bowl, and it's gonna be a long road. They were saving it a bit for the next game.

So, in summation, we embarrassed an anemic Vikings team; a team that was riding high after beating us last week. When the game was no longer in question we backed off a bit, in preparation for the 49'ers, and Packer fans are.... upset?

I'm not upset. I just would have liked to see more offense in the 3rd/early 4th quarter. Great game overall though!

OP
OP
LZ13

LZ13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe we could have won by 20 even if Ponder played. And we clearly illustrated that level of talent and preparation for the first 2.5 quarters. That is not the point. I have seen, in sports, where a lesser-talented underdog was allowed back in a game, only to come back and win - this should not have been allowed as even a remote possibility.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wasn't.
I believe we could have won by 20 even if Ponder played. And we clearly illustrated that level of talent and preparation for the first 2.5 quarters. That is not the point. I have seen, in sports, where a lesser-talented underdog was allowed back in a game, only to come back and win - this should not have been allowed as even a remote possibility.

It wasn't.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Yes, it would be a bit surreal if somehow we managed to lose, but this type of thing can and does happen in sports, even if infrequently. It would have gone down as probably the biggest upset and comeback in NFL playoff history. It should not have even been a possibility, given our opposition.
My dad still remembers the Heidi Bowl

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts