9-8-2013 Packers vs 49ers - REVENGE

12theTruth

Being a lifelong Packers fan nothing would make me happier than to exact some revenge for the playoff loss last season. I just don't see it happening though.

While I think the defense will give the 49ers more of a contest this time around, creating a turnover or two, etc. I think we will see a NONEXISTANT running game from the Pack along with the offense still leaving some points on the board.

My prediction

49ers 27-16

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly I also see the run game suffering...I mean we are going up against a solid D to start out. That said, if Lacy can just break one early for a first down of 10+ yards I see that being enough to make it be in their minds...and give Rodgers wiggle room to keep us close. Defense on our side will in my opinion be where we decide if we win or not, as I do see Rodgers scoring a couple TD's with his arm and leading us to FG range atleast twice (20 points). From there it's can our Defense hold them under that. To me my gut says it's gonna be a 24-20 game...I just pray we also add to the 20 points with a squeek TD from a RB or defensive turnover...

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching Kaepernick carve up the Vikings defense a few weeks ago without using the read-option showed me that Collin has progressed even further. He's less of a one-trick pony which makes him more dangerous. I still like our chances and think that the Seattle game was a good wake up call. I think it will be a close game but that's as far as I care to predict. I don't see us getting blown out of any game

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am impressed by the improvements to our DL and overall defense, but I am very unimpressed by our OL, and the run blocking is just awful. Will Lacy have any holes to run through or is it going to be the same ol' stock running play, gain 2-3 yards, 3rd-and-long and the run game gets dropped by the 3rd quarter because we're 10 points or more behind?

That I'm afraid will be the difference in this the first game of the year.

OP
OP

12theTruth

I am impressed by the improvements to our DL and overall defense, but I am very unimpressed by our OL, and the run blocking is just awful. Will Lacy have any holes to run through or is it going to be the same ol' stock running play, gain 2-3 yards, 3rd-and-long and the run game gets dropped by the 3rd quarter because we're 10 points or more behind?

That I'm afraid will be the difference in this the first game of the year.

If you go back and look at the tape of the the Packers vs Rams preseason game. Lacy had a very nice outing but if you watch the tape a good many of his good runs were by running through tackles, evading defenders, etc., not so much in the way of consistent holes provided by offensive line. And if you look at the preseason as a whole that Lacy performance and Vince Youngs showing against the Seahawks were the only ones that really stood out.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Time to pop the panhandlers! They do struggle against bigger backs, and DuJuan got good yards on them. Bakhtiari's baptism by fire though. Gonna be hard to beat them, odds aren't good. Run definitely struggles with a healthy Justin.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it just me or didn't little DuJuan Harris put up a 4.8 average against them the last time we played them? By what logic do we conclude that it's now impossible for Lacy to match or better what he did?

OP
OP

12theTruth

Is it just me or didn't little DuJuan Harris put up a 4.8 average against them the last time we played them? By what logic do we conclude that it's now impossible for Lacy to match or better what he did?

Rookie left tackle. Offensive lineman playing in different positions this season for the Pack. Too many different variables. Besides for Harris that was ONLY 11 total rushes.

Interestingly enough, Harris only gained yards whether it be a catch or a run ONCE after the 14:11 mark in the 3rd quarter. Granted the Packers defense couldn't stop a nosebleed BUT personnel changes since then and the Packers overall ineptitude at running the ball in general indicate some struggles come Week 1.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all, I don't think SF will be as impressive this season as last. I expect them to be good but not great. I think having a full offseason for teams to study and plan will be Kap's undoing. I think he will look more like a rookie than he did last season.

Furthermore, I take the whole pre-season with a grain of salt. Also some margarita mix and tequila. That was disappointing but not a reflection of our team come the first real game.

I don't expect Lacy to tear it up in the first game, SF has a very good defense, but he should put up respectable stats. I will expect SF to come out not respecting the run and dropping their safety. I think Lacy will pop a few early - forcing SF to bring up safety help, but have more +1 or +2 yard carries than you want. GB will be more effective later in the game through the air. Our defense will surprise some people. Datone is going to be noticed and I think our secondary will come up with a few picks. It should be a good game.

Packer 27-20

Reaction score
To everybody above:
It was the preseason. Based on what I have seen in the past, you just have to wait until week 1 to see how everything is going to go for the season.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To everybody above:
It was the preseason. Based on what I have seen in the past, you just have to wait until week 1 to see how everything is going to go for the season.
My concerns about the SF game has nothing to do with the preseason other than the injuries we incurred.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

First of all, I don't think SF will be as impressive this season as last. I expect them to be good but not great. I think having a full offseason for teams to study and plan will be Kap's undoing. I think he will look more like a rookie than he did last season.

Totally agree :tup:

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I have a bigger stake than most of you in this game. I am now surrounded by all kinds of people sporting their brand new 9er's gear and I so badly want to moon them. I personally think it is going to be a hard fought battle. I think our D will be heads and tails better than in that January game. I am really disappointed about Harris but I don't think he would have been much of a factor in this game anyway with all the time he missed.

I personally think Lacy may not have a hundred yard game but he will have a good enough performance to take some heat off the pass rush. He shows patience and has a great cut and nimble feet. The holes will be there. He just has to reel off a couple of good runs early to get those safety's to play the run. He's also a good pass blocker.

My big question marks are Nelson and Cobb and we will get to see if Jmike can be the beast we always hoped he would be.

I am very excited and optimistic about this game. Hey Footballs back!!!! and we are a contender. Life is good.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I don't expect Lacy to tear it up in the first game, SF has a very good defense, but he should put up respectable stats. I will expect SF to come out not respecting the run and dropping their safety. I think Lacy will pop a few early - forcing SF to bring up safety help, but have more +1 or +2 yard carries than you want. GB will be more effective later in the game through the air. Our defense will surprise some people. Datone is going to be noticed and I think our secondary will come up with a few picks. It should be a good game.

Good assessment and again totally agree :tup:

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching Kaepernick carve up the Vikings defense a few weeks ago without using the read-option showed me that Collin has progressed even further. He's less of a one-trick pony which makes him more dangerous. I still like our chances and think that the Seattle game was a good wake up call. I think it will be a close game but that's as far as I care to predict. I don't see us getting blown out of any game

Kaepernick has always had an arm so he's never been a 1-trick pony. Still, the Vikings were pretty bad on both sides of the ball that game.

Furthermore, I take the whole pre-season with a grain of salt. Also some margarita mix and tequila. That was disappointing but not a reflection of our team come the first real game.

Packer 27-20

Actually Datone Jones is one guy that worries me. He didn't have much of a preseason mostly because of the nagging ankle injury, but that means he may not be able to contribute the way the Packers had hoped. With any luck his ankle will get better over the next week so he's not playing in pain, but I don't expect him to make much of an impact against the 49ers TBH.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
We'll see. Last year doesn't matter any more. I want a one-point victory. I don't need revenge. Game one is a part of a pretty ugly trifecta to open the season.

The 9'ers obviously are a good team. A solid team. For sure a tough team to beat or the Packers wouldn't have lost to them twice last year... last year ... as I said, we'll see.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be a nerve-racking 1st game. ...would love nothing more than packers revenge ala the vikings games in the 2010 season! drag Kap around like a rag doll!

Reaction score
My concerns about the SF game has nothing to do with the preseason other than the injuries we incurred.
If Cobb and Nelson aren't 100% this week, it'll be a long day. Otherwise, I believe we are going to contain the read-option a lot better. Shields, House, Hyde, Williams, and Hayward are all pretty reliable in man coverage... I want to see how the front line does however

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What people aren't accounting for is that the 49ers are dealing with as many question marks as we are. They are relying on Boldin as their no. 1 WR. And have huge question marks after him. Culliver - one of their better CB's is lost for the year - and they have to replace Gholdson at safety. And most importantly, who knows if Willis will even play with his broken hand.

Yes, we have some question marks. But so do the 49ers (and most teams for that matter). We are a team that has gone 26-6 the last two regular seasons. We may not win, but I think we'll be ready for the game and play well. Looking forward to it!

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Cobb and Nelson aren't 100% this week, it'll be a long day. Otherwise, I believe we are going to contain the read-option a lot better. Shields, House, Hyde, Williams, and Hayward are all pretty reliable in man coverage... I want to see how the front line does however
I don't expect Hayward to play.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking to the "REVENGE" part of this thread, I'm not buying it. Green Bay has booted the 49ers out of the playoffs more often than not. We beat them in 1995, 1996, and 1997 before the TO game ended the Holmgren era in 1998. We beat them again in 2001 before last year's loss. I think that the 49er fans out there look at last year's loss as "revenge" more than us.

I also think that revenge is a poor kind of motivation. Oh it works, but pride and a quest for greatness are higher in my book.

Members online

Latest posts