7 Round Packers Mock

Jarederco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Packers Fans, I have been reading the forums for a while now, and I figured I should give this Mock Draft thing a whirl.

I think it is a little silly to assume any trades will be made, considering the state of the CBA, so I am just going to stick with the Pack's selections, and add a 4th round comp for Aaron Kampman.

Here we go:

1: Justin Houston (OLB - Georgia)
Day 1 Starter opposite CMIII. Easy Pick. As much as I love what Frank Zombo and Erik Walden did last season, I don't see them as long-term solutions.
Alternate: Muhammad Wilkerson (DE - Temple)

2: Marvin Austin (DE - UNC)
Is a 1st round talent with some character issues. With the right coaches I firmly believe that Austin and Mike Neal will be anchors on the DL for years.
Alternate: Brooks Reed (OLB - Arizona)

3: Edmund Gates (WR - Abilene Christian)
James Jones will be getting a better offer IMO and Donald Driver has only a year or two left. Gates has Sam Sheild-type speed and will be an instant playmaker on PR and KR. He will be a very serviceable 4th WR, and can learn under Jennings and Driver.
Alternate: Davon House (CB - New Mexico)

4a: Stephen Schilling (G - Michigan)
Big Guard, great talent. Can be above-average backup to Sitton and Colledge(if he is back).
Alternate: Terrance Tolliver (WR - LSU)

4b: Tim Barnes (C - Missouri)
Scott Wells is aging, time to start thinking about his replacement.
Alternate: John Moffitt (G - Wisconsin)

5: Pat Devlin (QB - Delaware)
Matt Flynn has 1 year (max) left in a Packers Uniform. I am just really fond of this guy.
Alternate: Derrick Locke (RB - Kentucky)

6: Chris L. Rucker (CB - Michigan State)
Special Teams player, upgrade from Jerrett Bush at Dime CB
Alternate: Jermale Hines (S/LB Ohio State)

7: Aldrick Robinson (WR - SMU)
Another speedster, can do the PR/KR and contribute elsewhere on Special Teams
Alternate: Weslye Saunders (TE - South Carolina)

Let me know what you guys think.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice picks except Marvin Austin won't be there at end of round 2, he should be gone halfway through in 2nd and Chris Rucker is a potential 4th round talent, 5th round at worst.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It looks good, and as far as guys going too high or too low...... who knows.
Every draft has guys who go a full round or two higher, or lower, than the pretend experts thought they'd go.

Calhoun Lambeau

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see a lot of these players as ideal scheme fits.

- Justin Houston is listed most places as a 34 OLB, but I ultimately see him more as a DE. He's not quick around the edge and has doesn't have the 'charactor' Ted usually looks for in a 1st round pick (Houston apparently has a 'questionable charactor'). He just doesn't seem like a 'Green Bay' type guy to me.

- Marvin Austin doesn't make much sense me. Austin had legitimate problems handling the double team at UNC, in my opinion he's strictly a 3-tech in the NFL. The guy fits the mold as a dumb, slow to react, unmotivated DT who will underachieve. Not a Green Bay guy at all, not a move Thompson will make, Thompson doesn't take bad apples in rounds 1-3.

- Ed Gates fits the size requirements Ted looks for, he's also good after the catch with quickness, another Ted trait. The guy would be 25 years old in June, and he's raw, who knows, it could happen.

- Stephen Schilling would be a huge reach in the 4th round. He's not a good fit at all, and would hardly be considered a great talent. We need our OG/C's to be able to move around and shift, Schilling is a big stiff, not a scheme fit at all.

- Tim Barnes is a guy who makes sense to me. Could be a Thompson guy.

- Pat Devlin is a spread QB which makes it a little more unlikely he's 'our guy', but we have Graham Harrell who we are working with so it's a definite possibility. Devlin's got sloppy accuracy, not an overly strong arm, but he can move and can be coached. Again, who knows for sure, right?

- Aldrick Robinson is too small. Ted Thompson only draft's WR's over 5'11". I don't think Thompson would break that mold and draft specifically for a returner. He draft's WR's and DB's for his schemes to play those positions. I don't think Robinson is a likely pick.

- Chris Tucker fits the bill for size, definitely. Although he does have maturity/charactor concerns, and we already have a big, immature CB with Underwood, I don't know if Thompson is willing to bring on a similar player.

Thanks for posting the mock, always fun to pour over these things.

Members online

Latest posts