7 more years of Cutler

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
He was very good with the Broncos teams he played on. Those teams didn't play defense.

He never had a winning record and threw lots of picks. Is that what you consider "very good"? Jeff George part II.

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Is he a true elite quarterback, no. But calling him a bust... the Derp is strong in this one.

I don't know what a Derp is, and I'm not from that part of the country. I'm not even a Packer fan (or fan of any other NFC North team) so I am an unbiased opinion. I know I'm dead correct on this one.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I was hoping it would take them longer to come to an agreement so I could lobby on Bears radio for a contract bigger than Rodgers. :D IMO the best thing about this is the size of the contract, it’ll make it more difficult for them to upgrade their defense. The Bears have a lot of cap room (before this contract I believe about 40 some million) and a lot of free agents this off season. And Peppers is signed but his cap number for 2014 is about $18M.

I think Cutler has a fatal flaw but he has a strong arm and their receiver corp, Forte, and their newly rebuilt OL are pretty impressive: The Bears finished second in the league in scoring so Trestman definitely revived the Bears offense. And it was effective with the second string QB (so they perhaps could’ve saved some money and cap room with a cheaper QB). But their D finished tied for second worst in the league in scoring. They've basically switched from Lovie's teams: Lovie never found the right OC and let's hope Trestman does as well regarding a DC (BTW I'm hoping they keep their current DC).

Cutler did post the best passer rating of his career in his 11 games this season at 89.2. But as already mentioned, his problem is INTs. Of course no one, not even the craziest Bears fan, would argue Cutler is better than Rodgers but for comparison purposes here are some stats. Rodgers began starting in 2008 and his rating that season was 93.8. That’s his lowest rating as a starter and of course it’s higher than Cutler’s career high.

Over the past five seasons, using nfl.com’s stats, Cutler has played in 67 regular season games and Rodgers has played in 71. Cutler has thrown 101 TDs and 75 INTs over that period so he’s averaged 1.51 TDs/game and 1.12 INTS/game.

Rodgers has thrown 159 TDs and 38 INTs over that period so he’s averaged 2.24 TDs/game and 0.53 INTS/game. Cutler's TDs/game was up slightly this year under Trestman but his INTs/game were right on his average. What’s the difference in their compensation?

Reaction score
"It's the same old Jay," Charles Woodson told ESPN's Rachel Nichols after the game. "We just need to be in position. Jay will throw us the ball."
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I like this one better haha
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eh, I dont' hate Jay. Sure he's whiny, makes a lot of dumb decisions, but he's good. Don't think he'll ever make a run in the playoffs, but he's serviceable.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the best thing about him being locked in for years is that it means the Bears won't end up with a great QB anytime soon.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Cutler can't even beat us as it is, now they drop a ridiculous amount of money to keep him, meanwhile their defense is getting worse.

A lot of other organization are probably pissed about this, Chicago just set a new bar in terms of salary for b-level quarterbacks everywhere

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all know that Cutler has the physical tools to be good. He displays it occasionally for everyone to see. Mentally he doesn't have the tools to be an elite, clutch QB and is severely lacking in leadership qualities. Men don't follow whiny, frumpy leaders. They follow confidence. This huge contract will be the boat anchor that makes championships hard to come by in Chicago for the next 5 years.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's pretty funny that the Bears are now managing their roster using the Packers model. They actually admit to it! They're wrapping up a bunch of their own players, with talk of extending some that are approaching their last year.

I can not even believe how ignorant some fans are. They're going to have to eat a ton of cap space by cutting Peppers. There are VERY FEW big-name free agents that play to the pay of their contracts. Yet... Bears fans are now calling for a big free agent signing this off season!!!!!

dandbuck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now if we can get our DB's to close the gap a bit, we have 2-3 int's and maybe a pick-6 for two games a year!

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
This contract dramatically increases the likelihood that Cutler ends up on the Packers' Ring of Honor.

RonRod

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too much false bravado around here. Cutler will most definitely break our hearts a few times over the next couple seasons. The guy plays hurt and has turned a corner this year as a leader. People just get fooled because he doesn't act like they want a football player to act. Get over it

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Yeah, well....lighten up Rod ... this is a Packers football forum and if we choose to ridicule an opponents QB1, that's part and parcel with the whole schtick. False bravado? Hardly. Mean spirited vindictiveness? That's more like it.

RonRod

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough. Didn't mean to offend. Just pointing out that in my opinion the national narrative is way off on Cutler. Him and Trestman are going to be scary.

But yes, cutler can appear to be a huge ****** and I'm glad I dont have to try to root for him.

Yeah, well....lighten up Rod ... this is a Packers football forum and if we choose to ridicule an opponents QB1, that's part and parcel with the whole schtick. False bravado? Hardly. Mean spirited vindictiveness? That's more like it.[/quot

Latest posts