53 Man Roster. Is It Time For A Change?

bear7625

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the new CBA came alot of changes in OTA's and the way teams can practice. Is it time to increase roster size? Is there enough time now to evaluate talent? I think a lot of young players will get lost in the process. Would like to hear your thoughts.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With 11 players on the field that means that only 42 are left on the sidelines.
Then why is it that it always looks more than 42? Because of the personal mixed in there?
And those on special teams...
Do they only take part in those plays or are they out there on O and D during normal plays?

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
personally I would like them to increase the roster sizes to 56-60, game day to 45 and practice squad by 2, with the amount of injuries that happen during the year, the depth of talent out there it would make since and it would be adding jobs for a lot of UFA's

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
personally I would like them to increase the roster sizes to 56-60, game day to 45 and practice squad by 2, with the amount of injuries that happen during the year, the depth of talent out there it would make since and it would be adding jobs for a lot of UFA's
You need to post more. I dig the hair flip signature.
I would like to see the practice squad being more like MLB in that the player on it is the exclusive "property" of the team. That way developmental players can be stashed for the year with no promotion to 53 man roster once you are on it. Potentially good players never get a chance to properly develop if they don't get the chance.

OP
OP
B

bear7625

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe not this year, but I'm worried that the changes in the amount OTA's and the way teams can practice will have a negative impact on the game. I'm not as much concerned with the game day roster size as I am with the 53 man roster. I agree with Poppa San that maybe some changes need to be made with the practice squad. Maybe the size of the practice squad needs to be increased and start having controlled scrimages with other teams squads. Just a thought.

Reaction score
They should increase the practice squad to 12 players so that way the teams can find inexpensive talent coming from the college level easier.

cupacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

game day is 46, was 45 before the new CBA

cupacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the new CBA came alot of changes in OTA's and the way teams can practice. Is it time to increase roster size? Is there enough time now to evaluate talent? I think a lot of young players will get lost in the process. Would like to hear your thoughts.

i don't think it is. as far as the 53-man roster goes, only 46 are on the gameday roster anyways. and i don't think all 46 play on game day anyways, so what's the point in adding more players that don't play? and if the active roster size was increased but the game day roster was not, that would be even more pointless.

as far as evaluating talent, i think the amount of players allowed on the roster in the offseason is plenty to evaluate talent and pick the top guys. plus, the owners really don't want to pay for more players. and i don't think it could happen til this CBA expires in 10 years anyways.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You need to post more. I dig the hair flip signature.
I would like to see the practice squad being more like MLB in that the player on it is the exclusive "property" of the team. That way developmental players can be stashed for the year with no promotion to 53 man roster once you are on it. Potentially good players never get a chance to properly develop if they don't get the chance.

haha, thanks :D

I'd like to see a developmental league period, one that wasn't College football.

Members online