4th and 1 on the 1

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i know we won yesterday but it was almost a loss due to sily play calling i know we want to see favre get the record but passing on 4th and 1 on the 1 yard line was a bit of a sily play call any views?

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i know we won yesterday but it was almost a loss due to sily play calling i know we want to see favre get the record but passing on 4th and 1 on the 1 yard line was a bit of a sily play call any views?

just shows MM has zero confidence in his running game!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mortfini said:

OR, no respect for San Diego's secondary. either way, i thought we should have taken the FG

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Mortfini said:

OR, no respect for San Diego's secondary. either way, i thought we should have taken the FG

I really wanted the Packers to run on that play. give the young guys a chance to gain some confidence.

MontanaBob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where's the damn running game? I know players are hurt, but jeez....42 yards for the whole game? My grandson got 44 yards on his first carry Friday night in a HS game.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are several ways to look at this.
1. If you go for the TD instead of the FG and miss it you have SD backed up so deep they can not run all of their plays. With a strong defense you may get a sack and have them punt the ball to you. If you can't sack them most likely you will still get the ball back in good field position.
2. Almost everyone would expect a run so the pass is a bit of a surprise play.
3. The run offense has been very poor all year.
4. The SD secondary was week.
5. Perhaps it was a chance to get Brett the record but I doubt that was even 4th on the list of reasons to pass.

If they had made it people would have been saying what a great- gutsy call it was to throw on 4th and 1. There were a couple of receivers in the endzone in the left corner. It all happened so fast I can not remember who they were. I am sure of one of them was breaking open when Brett threw the ball. Perhaps he should have thrown to them instead.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where's the damn running game? I know players are hurt, but jeez....42 yards for the whole game? My grandson got 44 yards on his first carry Friday night in a HS game.

If you take away Favre's kneel down, we averaged 3.7/carry. we gameplanned not to rush against San Diego. We did rush in a timely manner. That's a very respectable average against the Chargers.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont think it had anything to do with bretts records... i think the media and fans blow that up.

i think it had to do with scouting reports. if you didnt notice last week NE destroyed san diegos secondary. we came in with that same game plan and it worked.

wpr summed it up nicely actually. million ways to look at it. but i dont think it has anything to do with confidence in the run game or brett favres records.

MM did that last year a couple times if you remember... and if that ball hadnt been tipped... no one here would have questioned it. the ball just got tipped and it wasnt a great pass by favre.... but bubba was open and had it gone to plan it would have been 6 for bubba franks.

its not a question of MMs confidence in the run game at all. thats just your lack of confidence DH. MM said it was simply in the game plan to throw at them and since NE did it last week and won and MM is the 3-0 head coach... im with him.

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It was such a poor play call I thought Brad Childress was coaching the Pack on that play. Why did they go out of the shotgun? At least if Favre gets under center and there is a back in the backfield they have to defend the run or pass.

Regardless, it was a good win for the Pack. I don't expect the Vikings to give your team any trouble next week. Our offense is terrible. Good luck!

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the play was terrible as well, why throw the ball when you can run it or you could have done a QB sneak to. Our running game has to improve. Sundays running game was alittle better then the other two we played but stil not great..why are we not playing Grant more?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the play was terrible as well, why throw the ball when you can run it or you could have done a QB sneak to. Our running game has to improve. Sundays running game was alittle better then the other two we played but stil not great..why are we not playing Grant more?

field goal

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They ran the game plan to perfection. Your NOT going to run the ball down the Chargers throat so why try to? When we did run it we got positive yards and not guys tackling us in the backfield.

The only reason we didn't run more times for more yards is we were too busy beating the San Diego Chargers.

Get used to it. We're going to beat all of the teams in our division the same way and it's sure aint running it. We're going to run it just enough that they know we will and then jam the pass down their throats.

Did you notice what Philly did to Detroit yesterday? They didn't bother running it either. Why would you do that when you can beat them thru the air?

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Did you notice what Philly did to Detroit yesterday? They didn't bother running it either. Why would you do that when you can beat them thru the air?

Or the Cowgirls with the Bears.. they at least kept a back in, but they aired it out against that D.

Sooner or later we will need to run the ball, if for no other reason but to give the Defense a rest. But on this play, they seen what they thought they could hit, instead of challenging Williams in the middle.

Wells pulled out every trick in the book yesterday to contain Williams... reminded me of Frankie "bag of doughnuts" Winters in games where he was outmatched. IMO, Wells and company deserved a game ball from yesterday. Although the Chargers didn't blitz alot, they have alot of talent up front. Great game, even though we only ran a couple of handful of run plays.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

field goal

I hate to say it, but a field goal would have bothered me. You either score the TD, get the lead, and kick off, or you don't score the TD and the Chargers are pinned way back on their own 1. Now, in retrospect they completed a lucky pass on 3rd and 8 after trying to get off their own goal line, so pinning them back didn't matter that much, but it should have and usually will. Or we get the TD there.
The false start is what killed us. And you know what they never showed on the Donald Lee replays? Whether he was touched or not BEFORE The jump. If he wasn't, it doesn't matter if he rolls into the endzone from the 2, it's still a TD.

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i guess you can call it 4th and 1. more like 4th and 2 inches from the goaline. right there u do a qb sneak. if not that and you wanna pass your at least have a damn rb in the backfield to keep them honest. not lined up in shotgun with no backfield.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is an example of hindsight being 20/180.

I say they did the right thing... because they won. But, yeah, when faced with this decision in the future, at least create the illusion that you MIGHT run it.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even when they were at 1st and goal from the 1, my instinct was the run it in, like they did later in the game.

I firmly believe that this was going for the 420 record at home. And that's a bad choice. We weren't running great, but we were generating at least one yard per carry.

The fourth and goal throw makes me believe that it was for the 420 TD record.

Regardless, I'm happy today and proud of the Packers.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only reason we didn't run more times for more yards is we were too busy beating the San Diego Chargers.

awesome.

are we 3-0 or 0-3... i mean really. there is no set way to win football games... or else every team would get the right parts and win everygame.

you game plan for each team, and you stick to it. and if your right, you win... weve been right 3 times so far.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even when they were at 1st and goal from the 1, my instinct was the run it in, like they did later in the game.

I firmly believe that this was going for the 420 record at home. And that's a bad choice. We weren't running great, but we were generating at least one yard per carry.

The fourth and goal throw makes me believe that it was for the 420 TD record.

Regardless, I'm happy today and proud of the Packers.

i heard MM on the radio today. i swear he said he has no confidence in the running game, and we have had some mistakes there. meaning the running game.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have a 233 pound RB and we're on the one yard line. It's a no brainier in my opinion. You give Wynn the ball. It was just a bad play call by MM. He did gameplan very well for this game though and is doing a find job as coach of this team. You can't bat a 1000 all year.

jnells

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though we decided to pass instead of run on that play, I still had full confidence that we would get the ball back and get the go ahead score.

I was baffled that we decided to pass there too! For future reference I think Wynn is the man to give the ball to in GL situations, he is a load, and he hits the hole with authority.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anybody remember what formation we were in when we got the false start penalty on 1st and goal at the 1?

Members online

Latest posts