49ers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I predict 3 flags for the Packers on this issue.

I predict we don't even see the read-option very much. A couple times at the most.

I think Harbough is going to play smash-mouth in-your-face Gore-up-the-middle football. A few passes mixed in to keep things honest. Make the Packers stop this first. That's what I'd do.

But, then again, I am on my couch watching the TV instead of coaching NFL teams for a reason.

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't look like cry baby Jim got the answer he was looking for from the league.

What he's asking for is that while the passer is in the pocket, they still receive protections as a passer. The rule change states that if the QB fakes like they still have the ball they lose the protections of a QB. This leaves some ambiguity for hit-happy defenders who will try to argue "He faked like he still had the ball" after a play action.

Unless the Packers never do a play action pass, you might want the same considering how important Aaron Rodgers is to your team.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What he's asking for is that while the passer is in the pocket, they still receive protections as a passer. The rule change states that if the QB fakes like they still have the ball they lose the protections of a QB. This leaves some ambiguity for hit-happy defenders who will try to argue "He faked like he still had the ball" after a play action.

Unless the Packers never do a play action pass, you might want the same considering how important Aaron Rodgers is to your team.
I don't know about you, but I cannot recall a moment where a player arguing with an official changed the call of flag so that is a really weak argument. I'd rather not allow teams running the draw to exploit the rules to gain some free yards. Yeah there is a draw back to the rules for play-action, but you can't have cake and eat pie too.

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about you, but I cannot recall a moment where a player arguing with an official changed the call of flag so that is a really weak argument. I'd rather not allow teams running the draw to exploit the rules to gain some free yards. Yeah there is a draw back to the rules for play-action, but you can't have cake and eat pie too.

It hasn't been a problem, ever and now the league suddenly wants to change the rules? If the QB fakes a hand-off and pretends he till has the ball, why should he be treated as anything besides a QB?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The rule change states that if the QB fakes like they still have the ball they lose the protections of a QB. This leaves some ambiguity for hit-happy defenders who will try to argue "He faked like he still had the ball" after a play action.
If the QB fakes a hand-off and pretends he till has the ball, why should he be treated as anything besides a QB?
You seem a little confused. The QB keeps the ball in a play action pass and if the QB fakes a hand-off he doesn't have to pretend he still has the ball.

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Faking like you have the ball is not clear enough? You should go retake elementary English, your sentence comprehension seems to be lacking.

I know this is crazy talk, but I had an idea. A quarterback can (gasp!) hand the ball off and pretend to be a passer. Harbaugh is simply asking for clarification that the rules outline how a QB must be a "fake runner"

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know this is crazy talk, but I had an idea. A quarterback can (gasp!) fake a hand off and pretend to be a passer. Harbaugh is simply asking for clarification that the rules outline how a QB must be a "fake runner"
Logic would dictate that if he is pretending to be a passer he is clearly not a running threat.

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You seem a little confused. The QB keeps the ball in a play action pass and if the QB fakes a hand-off he doesn't have to pretend he still has the ball.

I knew that but I somehow got it backwards in my head. In any event, I've seen a lot of quarterbacks hand the ball off and then pretend it was a "fake" hand off. I would hate to see someone get drilled with the excuse, "I thought he had the ball"

If only we had a crystal ball I would be huge money if not for Kaepernick the league wouldn't have made this rule.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I knew that but I somehow got it backwards in my head. In any event, I've seen a lot of quarterbacks hand the ball off and then pretend it was a "fake" hand off. I would hate to see someone get drilled with the excuse, "I thought he had the ball"

If only we had a crystal ball I would be huge money if not for Kaepernick the league wouldn't have made this rule.
If not for Lynn Swann CB's would prob still be able to mug receivers down field. It happens, take it as a complement and adapt and overcome instead of crying like spoiled children.
You would think....

So what's wrong with the league spelling it out?
What is so wrong about using your grey matter and deductive reasoning to understand what was said? Not everything needs to be spelled out.

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If not for Lynn Swann CB's would prob still be able to mug receivers down field. It happens, take it as a complement and adapt and overcome instead of crying like spoiled children.

What is so wrong about using your grey matter and deductive reasoning to understand what was said? Not everything needs to be spelled out.

Rules in a game are a lot like laws. Leave room for ambiguity and you have a bunch of judges (referees) who make inconsistent calls based on differing interpretations.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rules in a game are a lot like laws. Leave room for ambiguity and you have a bunch of judges (referees) who make inconsistent calls based on differing interpretations.
Which happens. I don't see anyone else crying to the league for clarification.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

12theTruth

Harbaugh's whining will only backfire with the officials. Outside of 49er fans, pretty much everyone else is rolling their eyes at the gamesmanship Harbaugh is attempting to employ. If these refs so much as attempt to throw a flag against the Packers D for hitting Kapernick while faking a handoff or another variation, these same refs will be held accountable by the league for their not following the letter of the NFL rules.

Now if he is scanning the field attempting a pass or running for the sideline and gets throttled than you whiner fans have a legitimate beef. Football involves hitting grow a pair... Geez!

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Team colors notwithstanding, contrary to popular belief QB's don't wear that special "don't hit me" red jersey on game days. 9'er fans seem to have forgotten about how Megamind was talking in the offseason about wanting to be hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts