49ers

5x49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers and the 9’ers were at the top of the league last season in protecting the ball on offense and taking it away on defense. The TO battle is important in every game but its importance will likely be magnified between these two teams.

Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Finley, Jones/Driver: How good are the 9er’s third, fourth and fifth cover guys? Even with the 9ers pass rush, Rodgers’ mobility will allow the Packers to pick on one or two DBs. Here’s what McGinn had to say about their secondary in his preview: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packfoe05-t66o0hu-168564956.html

It looks like the Packers will be using no huddle more than ever. From everything we’ve heard and read IMO this season more than in any previous one, Rodgers will have on-the-field command of the play calling particularly in the no huddle. The Packers O linemen don’t have to be power run blockers because the Packers run to keep D’s honest. When the Packers spread out Ds and Rodgers sees an opportunity in the run game, the OL just has to screen defenders away from the RB. One of the reasons the addition of Benson is important beyond his obvious talent is Rodgers apparent trust in his new teammate means he’s more likely to check to, or stay with a running play.

This game should be a great one, fun to watch. But I will caution fans of both teams: How teams are playing in December is much more important than how they’re playing on opening day as long as they’re in contention for the playoffs. Injuries are the wildcard for every team but except for that, I like the Packers chances of improving their play over the course of the season because of all the newcomers on D.

The biggest matchup issue in any big game the 49ers play this season is how their offense plays against the opposing team's defense. No matter how good any NFL offense is, it will more or less be controlled by the 49ers. The Saints were the only team to hang 30+ on us, and were pretty lucky to do it too.

If you can stop the 49ers offense then I would be concerned.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No matter how good any NFL offense is, it will more or less be controlled by the 49ers. The Saints were the only team to hang 30+ on us, and were pretty lucky to do it too.

How many turnovers did the Saints have in that game? I'm thinking like 5?

5x49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW pACK fans, a fun reminder:

The difference between us and pretty much the rest of the league is that we have our own confidence and slight bias that we can beat anyone but at the same time totally acknowledge the worst case scenario, and that other teams beating us is realistic and can happen.

When we win, it's a brutal shock for these fans....Saints, Giants, etc.

And we're still not taken seriously in this league....at least by the media and opposing fans. I don't think opposing coaching staffs will take us lightly but the good news is the players still have a chip on their shoulder, which will offset other teams "catching up to our program".

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
BTW pACK fans, a fun reminder:

The difference between us and pretty much the rest of the league is that we have our own confidence and slight bias that we can beat anyone but at the same time totally acknowledge the worst case scenario, and that other teams beating us is realistic and can happen.

When we win, it's a brutal shock for these fans....Saints, Giants, etc.

And we're still not taken seriously in this league....at least by the media and opposing fans. I don't think opposing coaching staffs will take us lightly but the good news is the players still have a chip on their shoulder, which will offset other teams "catching up to our program".

Im pretty sure that EVERY team in the nfl has their own confidence and bias that they can beat anyone if they didnt y even suit up?

5x49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you mean like Aaron Rodgers last season passer rating or his lifetime passer rating? How many NFL records did the 9ers break last year?
Either way, good run D. Looking forward to this game.

Please see post 158#

One thing going against the Packers is that it's so early in the season, their offense and passing attack isn't going to be as fluid as it would be after a few games, it's going to be a bit sluggish and that plays right onto the hands of the niners who have the best front 7 in all of football. From what I saw in the preseason games the Packers offense had a bit of rust on it that hasn't been cleared yet.

Make no mistake, the Packers will try to run but it won't work, and will turn to airing it out the rest of the game. The 49ers had a historically good rush defense last year and everyone is back on D with a full offseason with the system unlike last year, and they are going to be fresh. Defenses usually solidify before offenses do so it's likely they will have a slight leg up on the Packers O.

That said, if the Packers do hit their stride with the pass, they are capable of doing a lot of damage, Rodgers IMHO is the best passer in the NFL and so dangerous. If the 49ers had a weakness last year it was in pass defense, but it could be said that was because teams simply gave up on the run. Last year teams threw for alot of yards, but scored few points (niners missed #1 in fewest PPG allowed by .1 points to the Steelers lol). Classic bend but don't break.

As for what to look for from the niners offense, well, honestly I think most 49er fans are waiting to see what Harbaugh and Greg Roman has cooked up in the offseason with all the things they've added and their first real offseason and training camp. They also have showed nothing of what they are going to do with the first team offense in the preseason.

I really can't make a prediction on this game because every year is different and teams change, either team has a very good chance of winning and honestly I am very nervous about it, the Packers are no joke and like the 49ers, they are going to be pissed off after losing at home what they thought should be a super bowl season to the f**king 9-7 Giants. But I do know this, it's going to be a good game.

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
How was that Packer offense the first game of last season vs the saints?
Rodgers 27/35 312 yards 3 TD's
399 total net yards
32 min in TOP
6 total TD's
Yeah that looks like a horrible way to start out the season....

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing going against the Packers is that it's so early in the season, their offense and passing attack isn't going to be as fluid as it would be after a few games, it's going to be a bit sluggish and that plays right onto the hands of the niners who have the best front 7 in all of football. From what I saw in the preseason games the Packers offense had a bit of rust on it that hasn't been cleared yet.

SEE POST 182. :p

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Please see post 158#

so our O wont be in sync but your defense will be?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Niner fans here have been no more cocky than many of our fans.
Their team made it further than we did last season, and they almost beat the Giants, losing the NFC Title game in OT, the same team that we were beat by worse.

So no need to call them out on anything here IMO.

We all know both teams are good and capable of being great. And in different ways. Tomorrow could go either way. A few great plays, a few mistakes, turnovers, or bad calls could decide the game.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
The Niner fans here have been no more cocky than many of our fans.
Their team made it further than we did last season, and they almost beat the Giants, losing the NFC Title game in OT, the same team that we were beat by worse.

So no need to call them out on anything here IMO.

We all know both teams are good and capable of being great. And in different ways. Tomorrow could go either way. A few great plays, a few mistakes, turnovers, or bad calls could decide the game.

What was the old quip? "It ain't bragging if you can really do it." I think the Niners have an excellent team and will be the toughest game the Packers face all season. Just my opinion.

W

wxman2003

Jeff Saturday is going to need to play big tomorrow. He is not a good run blocker, but in order to slow that 49er defense down, the packers are going to need to run at least for 80 or 90 yards, and Benson runs between the guards.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Was this intended as humor? I’d expect this to be posted by someone who just became a fan. BTW, the difference between you (not all 9er fans) and the rest of us posting on this thread is you were only one so naïve as to have posted that.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Please see post 158#

Make no mistake, the Packers will try to run but it won't work, and will turn to airing it out the rest of the game. The 49ers had a historically good rush defense last year and everyone is back on D with a full offseason with the system unlike last year, and they are going to be fresh. Defenses usually solidify before offenses do so it's likely they will have a slight leg up on the Packers O.

That said, if the Packers do hit their stride with the pass, they are capable of doing a lot of damage, Rodgers IMHO is the best passer in the NFL and so dangerous. If the 49ers had a weakness last year it was in pass defense, but it could be said that was because teams simply gave up on the run. Last year teams threw for alot of yards, but scored few points (niners missed #1 in fewest PPG allowed by .1 points to the Steelers lol). Classic bend but don't break.

As for what to look for from the niners offense, well, honestly I think most 49er fans are waiting to see what Harbaugh and Greg Roman has cooked up in the offseason with all the things they've added and their first real offseason and training camp. They also have showed nothing of what they are going to do with the first team offense in the preseason.

I really can't make a prediction on this game because every year is different and teams change, either team has a very good chance of winning and honestly I am very nervous about it, the Packers are no joke and like the 49ers, they are going to be pissed off after losing at home what they thought should be a super bowl season to the f**king 9-7 Giants. But I do know this, it's going to be a good game.

I totally agree with you and I will give the 49ers a lot of credit.

All last year I bet against them, I picked against them over and over, I watched in agony as they stopped Drew Brees from beating them after that big miraculous come back.

I will give them the most credit for one thing; this is a match up that favors them defensively no matter how good this offense is.

Against the Saints, they took away the run, and made them go totally one dimensional with the passing game. It's easy to blame Payton for going one dimensional around town but when Sproles had the ball, he was not getting it done.

I don't care how great ESPN says Benson is going to be, I'm not forgetting his fumble problems, and one thing for sure is; that defense knocked Brees around, even though he had one of the best offensive lines in the league last year.

As much as no one really wants to admit it; if this defense can knock 5 turnovers out of the Saints, I damn sure believe they can do the same here. SF don't even really need an offense, the turnovers is what won them many games last year.

People can get mad at me all they want and say this offense won't make mistakes like the Saints did, but when I see that offensive line, and no this team is not going to run the ball that much with a RB that has a fumble issue, and against a defense that totally takes away the run game, I am prepared for turnovers. How many teams played the 49ers last year and did not make a single turnover against them?

Turnovers is what is going to decide this game, and sadly that is in favor of the Niners.

I don't trust this defense, all these rookies and still looks as crappy as it did last year. Who's going to rush the quarterback? Is Frank Gore going to be rollin' and tumblin' his way to a huge stat number? Will Alex Smith look like Steve Young in a similar way that he did against the Saints horrible secondary in the playoffs?

Only time will tell, but I have faith in Rodgers, I just continue and continue to pray they actually protect him long enough to get it done. I know there will be plenty of hard hits and I don't want to see that on him.

5x49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree with you and I will give the 49ers a lot of credit.

All last year I bet against them, I picked against them over and over, I watched in agony as they stopped Drew Brees from beating them after that big miraculous come back.

I will give them the most credit for one thing; this is a match up that favors them defensively no matter how good this offense is.

Against the Saints, they took away the run, and made them go totally one dimensional with the passing game. It's easy to blame Payton for going one dimensional around town but when Sproles had the ball, he was not getting it done.

I don't care how great ESPN says Benson is going to be, I'm not forgetting his fumble problems, and one thing for sure is; that defense knocked Brees around, even though he had one of the best offensive lines in the league last year.

As much as no one really wants to admit it; if this defense can knock 5 turnovers out of the Saints, I damn sure believe they can do the same here. SF don't even really need an offense, the turnovers is what won them many games last year.

People can get mad at me all they want and say this offense won't make mistakes like the Saints did, but when I see that offensive line, and no this team is not going to run the ball that much with a RB that has a fumble issue, and against a defense that totally takes away the run game, I am prepared for turnovers. How many teams played the 49ers last year and did not make a single turnover against them?

Turnovers is what is going to decide this game, and sadly that is in favor of the Niners.

I don't trust this defense, all these rookies and still looks as crappy as it did last year. Who's going to rush the quarterback? Is Frank Gore going to be rollin' and tumblin' his way to a huge stat number? Will Alex Smith look like Steve Young in a similar way that he did against the Saints horrible secondary in the playoffs?

Only time will tell, but I have faith in Rodgers, I just continue and continue to pray they actually protect him long enough to get it done. I know there will be plenty of hard hits and I don't want to see that on him.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

5x49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) Steelers vs Broncos is the NBC SNF game
2) even if it was a day game, it'd been on CBS (2 AFC teams)
3) "America's Game of the Week" is FOX's big nationally-broadcast game, usually between 2 NFC teams.
FOX's other 2 games on at the same time are usually restricted regionally to the 4 teams playing in that game (usually west-coast games)

FOX's LATE GAMES 3:25
RED = SF AT GB
BLUE = CAR AT TB
GREEN = SEA AT ARZ

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Was this intended as humor? I’d expect this to be posted by someone who just became a fan. BTW, the difference between you (not all 9er fans) and the rest of us posting on this thread is you were only one so naïve as to have posted that.

Nice shot, Jack. :cool: I was essentially V-scanning a couple of 9'er fan forums just for S&G's ... seems as though the "new breed" of 9'er fan has taken over those forums. Lots of s**t talk.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I do apollogize if im coming off as a troll, that is not my intent, I come in peace im not here to stir up any trouble with the locals.

so to show how your not trying to stir up crap you post trollish pictures? That look like a grade school kid did?

If you want to post smack pictures, at least get something that is half way decent

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I'm surprised over the number of Packer fans who think the Packers are not going to play a great game. I don't think they are looking ahead to the Bears, that their defense is the same as last year, Benson will spill the ball all over the field, we could turn the ball over as many as five times, etc.

Look we had a great offense last year. I don't see it being worse. We have the best QB in football. Mark my word Benson will conduct himself well. As far as the defense we added a bunch of guys and I think Capers and the defense will hit the ground running. Capers won't be a sleep walker like last year. That lousy defense he fielded last year had to sting. Plus we don't have Charley Peprah. :) Go Pack !

94niners

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This game will come down to one thing: will Aaron Rodgers get rid of the ball before the 49ers Smiths hit him? Granted, Justin and Aldon Smith can devastate QBs. However, Aaron Rodgers is probably the very best at making his offensive line look 3 times better than what it is. The Packers will score points. The question is, will it be a difficult day for Rodgers or will it not? And that will determine the victor.

Members online

Latest posts