49ers

bobgodd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect him to get around 50-60 yards. I think he will be especially effective on draws and delays and slow the 49er rush down. Rodgers will most likely do a lot of play action with him. And as Croak said the niners will have to respect him on third and short.
I guess that term "respect" is used loosely but I'm pretty sure that defense disrespects no RB. What they do, is play disciplined gap-assignment defense. They don't stack the box, usually because they don't have to. I think one of their goals is to take away the run, so they're definitely focused on whomever is back there.

5x49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score
granted we lost all these games..............

VD career vs Pack

2006 - 3 rec, 74 yards, 1 TD
2009 - 6 rec, 108 yards, 1 TD
2010 - 4 rec, 126 yards, 1 TD

VD will be the game changer.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I guess that term "respect" is used loosely but I'm pretty sure that defense disrespects no RB. What they do, is play disciplined gap-assignment defense. They don't stack the box, usually because they don't have to. I think one of their goals is to take away the run, so they're definitely focused on whomever is back there.

They have a great run defense. But the Pack has been known for being rather one dimensional with 4 wide on 3rd and short. Not too many teams even gave the backfield a second glance. Now they have to. So not only will the Niners D have to play disciplined gap defense, they have to find a way to cover any combination of legitimate star receivers and a record breaking QB who unloads the ball in less than 2.5 seconds. That is why Benson gives the Packers a new dimension. That disciplined line, and it is, will have to account for the receivers slanting right behind it and a back that can scamper to the end or swing wide for a quick hit. It should be interesting.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

VD career vs Pack

Or it could be more of the same game, he does well, packers still win

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 49ers defense didn't allow a rushing TD last season until week 15 or 16. I can't remember which week it was but was one of those 2 weeks. That ain't bad.

bobgodd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 49ers defense didn't allow a rushing TD last season until week 15 or 16. I can't remember which week it was but was one of those 2 weeks. That ain't bad.
That's one way to put it lol... It was an NFL record.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Back to the topic at hand, the 49ers and the game this week.

I believe our run blocking is as soft as it gets in the NFL. I love Benson, but I don't expect anything much out of him running against those 2 ILBers Willis and Bowman. Benson will see more of those 2 guys at the line of scrimmage or our side of it, than he will see holes, I am afraid. Our OL just doesn't get any push. They're all finesse pass protectors first & foremost. Wrong mindset.

But they need to stick with it so that Alden and Justin Smith don't go all-out balls-to-the-wall after Rodgers every single snap. If they are allowed to do that, we will see Newhouse struggle like in KC last year, and Rodgers will be in deep dung.

We need to hit some runs, 1, 2, 1, 3, 0, 13, 2, 2, 0, 18, 3, 1, 3, 0, 1, 13... gotta hit those 10-20 yarders to keep the DL and OLB honest.

In your unbiased opinion, how has Jeff Saturday looked this preseason? I have not had a chance to watch too much of the Packers yet let alone focus on the o line.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Will be glad when this is over..

Maybe the niner fans will come away with more respect for the Packers??

5x49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
:whistling: :poop:

Just kidding, could very well wind up the exact opposite

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score

VD career vs Pack

You might be right, then again JerFin might be the game changer. He shines when D's get tough.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
That's one way to put it lol... It was an NFL record.
Do you mean like Aaron Rodgers last season passer rating or his lifetime passer rating? How many NFL records did the 9ers break last year?
Either way, good run D. Looking forward to this game.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You might be right, then again JerFin might be the game changer. He shines when D's get tough.
It's all about matchups and Mike is very good at creating them. Look for MM to do just that. Finley is a matchup problem for any defense. Look for the Packers to spread the field and use a lot of multiple receiver sets.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In your unbiased opinion, how has Jeff Saturday looked this preseason? I have not had a chance to watch too much of the Packers yet let alone focus on the o line.
I think he's looked solid as a pass protector, but very slow/lazy/soft run blocking. Basically he fits right on with the rest of the OL. These guys all seem to work 95% of the time on pass-blocking, to protect the franchise #12 back there. That is the most important no doubt.

But on running plays, it would be nice to see these guys actually A) get some push, B) get an OL or 2 thru to the next level and actually block the two ILB, in this case either Patrick Willis or Navorro Bowman, C) at least make Benson only have to break one tackle to get 2 or 3 yards.

bobgodd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What makes you think that we have no respect for the Packers? I didn't see anyone come in here predicting total dominance. The 49ers are a good team; it's not absurd to think that they could end up with a win. I suppose we could have came here and heaped praises upon the Packers and their obvious greatness. Silly that the teams would even show up, when the conclusion is inevitable, right?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I suppose we could have came here and heaped praises upon the Packers and their obvious greatness. Silly that the teams would even show up, when the conclusion is inevitable, right?

funny...that is the impression I get from Niner fans and how they view their team :cool:

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What makes you think that we have no respect for the Packers? I didn't see anyone come in here predicting total dominance. The 49ers are a good team; it's not absurd to think that they could end up with a win. I suppose we could have came here and heaped praises upon the Packers and their obvious greatness. Silly that the teams would even show up, when the conclusion is inevitable, right?

Go back and read post # 68.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The Packers and the 9’ers were at the top of the league last season in protecting the ball on offense and taking it away on defense. The TO battle is important in every game but its importance will likely be magnified between these two teams.

Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Finley, Jones/Driver: How good are the 9er’s third, fourth and fifth cover guys? Even with the 9ers pass rush, Rodgers’ mobility will allow the Packers to pick on one or two DBs. Here’s what McGinn had to say about their secondary in his preview:
All the starters hit hard and tackle well. Their issue is coverage. LC Carlos Rogers and RC Tarell Brown (5-10 ½, 193), a backup for four years before winning the job last year, are better playing zone than man coverage. Generally a starter from 2005-'10 in Washington, Rogers is crafty, skilled and smooth. His hands are shaky. Brown, who paid his dues on special teams, is a tough guy with adequate speed. On passing downs, Rogers moves to the slot and either Chris Culliver (6-0 ½, 199) or Perrish Cox (5-11 ½, 190) will play LC. Culliver, a third-round pick in '11, runs well (4.38) but is more of a finesse player and has been picked on. Cox slipped to the fifth round in '10 because of off-field issues but had an eye-opening camp. His talent is undeniable. FS Dashon Goldson (6-2, 200), a four-year starter, comes off a Pro Bowl season. He can run and makes big plays but in searching for kill shots sometimes will blow his responsibility. SS Donte Whitner (5-10, 208), the eighth pick in '06 as a Bill, uses his aggressiveness best in the box.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packfoe05-t66o0hu-168564956.html

It looks like the Packers will be using no huddle more than ever. From everything we’ve heard and read IMO this season more than in any previous one, Rodgers will have on-the-field command of the play calling particularly in the no huddle. The Packers O linemen don’t have to be power run blockers because the Packers run to keep D’s honest. When the Packers spread out Ds and Rodgers sees an opportunity in the run game, the OL just has to screen defenders away from the RB. One of the reasons the addition of Benson is important beyond his obvious talent is Rodgers apparent trust in his new teammate means he’s more likely to check to, or stay with a running play.

This game should be a great one, fun to watch. But I will caution fans of both teams: How teams are playing in December is much more important than how they’re playing on opening day as long as they’re in contention for the playoffs. Injuries are the wildcard for every team but except for that, I like the Packers chances of improving their play over the course of the season because of all the newcomers on D.