49ers

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Because outside of the Chicago Bears no team in the NFL has the history or tradition or great players to talk about. The rub here is that no Bears fan will admit who the best WR was because they are so bitter that the Packers are far better than any other team since the start of the league. So it's left to Packer fans to school all of you young upstart fans about the history of the league and it's best players.
Pay attention at packerforum.com and you'll learn alot.
Got that part right. I don't know how many times I have had to correct Packers fans on the history of the NFL. Not only in this forum but other Packer forums.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We took down Eli & Megatron to answer your question?

Now answer mine.

What defensive Juggernaut did you beat during the season?

none when you did face a defensive Juggernaut you lost both times

What defensive juggernaut did we face last year? Bc we went 15-1, so unless you consider KC a "juggernaut" we beat everyone put in front of us.

Whats it like to have a statistically overrated defense bc you play in the worst division in the league. NFC north, 3 pro bowl level QBs. NFC west? none. 1 great WR between the 4 teams and 1 TE between the 4. Garbage division.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I do apollogize if im coming off as a troll, that is not my intent, I come in peace im not here to stir up any trouble with the locals.
I think it might be all the smack talk, bragging, and condescension that keeps misleading us. By the by, Dashon Goldson is the only man in your secondary that actually concerns me.

bobgodd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because outside of the Chicago Bears no team in the NFL has the history or tradition or great players to talk about. The rub here is that no Bears fan will admit who the best WR was because they are so bitter that the Packers are far better than any other team since the start of the league. So it's left to Packer fans to school all of you young upstart fans about the history of the league and it's best players.
Pay attention at packerforum.com and you'll learn alot.
Not entirely sure how the Bears came into play, but I'm no bears fan. I grew up in the Bay Area and have always been a 49er fan, though ironically enough I registered at this board for a completely different reason than to talk about this game LOL.

Alas; having a 49er fan arguing for Jerry Rice against Packer fans arguing for their favorite receiver is pretty futile. Put Hutson on one of the stronger teams of the 80s/90s and maybe he dominates, maybe he doesn't. Put Rice on one of the stronger teams in Hutson's era and he dominates. Still not a fair comparison in my opinion. Nor is it a fair comparison to compare team history... It is no fault of ours that the 49ers were an expansion team in the 40s in the AAFC.

bobgodd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I suppose while I'm here I'll add something worthwhile to the topic:

I am biased. I do think the 49ers win. Not because the Packers are a lesser team or not a worthy opponent, but because I think the 49ers are better than they were last year, and I think last year they were pretty darn OK.

If the Niner defense plays in [last year] mid-season form I think they win. They didn't look stellar in preseason, but Harbaugh has made it explicitly clear that there was no game planning for opponents in the exhibition games... Only base defense. He's also made it explicitly clear that he's been game planning for GB for at least a month now... No kidding lol.

Either way, I'm stoked for this game. There's no better way to test yourself then against quality opponents!

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
And I suppose while I'm here I'll add something worthwhile to the topic:

I am biased. I do think the 49ers win. Not because the Packers are a lesser team or not a worthy opponent, but because I think the 49ers are better than they were last year, and I think last year they were pretty darn OK.

If the Niner defense plays in [last year] mid-season form I think they win. They didn't look stellar in preseason, but Harbaugh has made it explicitly clear that there was no game planning for opponents in the exhibition games... Only base defense. He's also made it explicitly clear that he's been game planning for GB for at least a month now... No kidding lol.

Either way, I'm stoked for this game. There's no better way to test yourself then against quality opponents!
You I like. Welcome to the boards! Though I think if you put Rice on one of the old teams what he'd be is injured.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
How long has the Packers offense been real good?
Maybe a couple of years. I think you are selling the Niners D short. Over the last 5 years they have had a pretty good defense. But if you go by the NFL standard stats page they don't always look good... however if you go by the same page and look at something a little more telling as to how a defense is really performing, like yards per play, the Niners have been in the top ten the last five years. Their D has averaged 5.0-5.1 yards per play in that five years. Now, it's not the Steelers 4.3-4.8, but it's good enough to get them in that top ten consistently over the past few years.

5x49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it might be all the smack talk, bragging, and condescension that keeps misleading us. By the by, Dashon Goldson is the only man in your secondary that actually concerns me.

Again my sincere apologies bro im super pumped for this game its been a long time since ive been this hyped about a 9ers team Super Bowl or bust as its always been in the Bay

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe a couple of years. I think you are selling the Niners D short. Over the last 5 years they have had a pretty good defense. But if you go by the NFL standard stats page they don't always look good... however if you go by the same page and look at something a little more telling as to how a defense is really performing, like yards per play, the Niners have been in the top ten the last five years. Their D has averaged 5.0-5.1 yards per play in that five years. Now, it's not the Steelers 4.3-4.8, but it's good enough to get them in that top ten consistently over the past few years.

Not selling them short, as stated, I think they SHOULD be as good as last year...I personally dont look at yards..I look at scoring,...Why? 2005 Packers ranked #1 in yards, scoring 19th, yet had 4 wins..

but because the Niners havent been as dominate like that to long, hard to really say what will happen..2008 -15th, 09-4th, 2010-16th in scoring

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Again my sincere apologies bro im super pumped for this game its been a long time since ive been this hyped about a 9ers team Super Bowl or bust as its always been in the Bay
Understandable, there's nothing wrong with having a big head when it comes to your team. Just keep the level of elevation of your nose in check

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Got that part right. I don't know how many times I have had to correct Packers fans on the history of the NFL. Not only in this forum but other Packer forums.

Pay no attention to the Viking fan behind the curtain. He still thinks their empty case has a trophy in it. ;)

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back to the topic at hand, the 49ers and the game this week.

I believe our run blocking is as soft as it gets in the NFL. I love Benson, but I don't expect anything much out of him running against those 2 ILBers Willis and Bowman. Benson will see more of those 2 guys at the line of scrimmage or our side of it, than he will see holes, I am afraid. Our OL just doesn't get any push. They're all finesse pass protectors first & foremost. Wrong mindset.

But they need to stick with it so that Alden and Justin Smith don't go all-out balls-to-the-wall after Rodgers every single snap. If they are allowed to do that, we will see Newhouse struggle like in KC last year, and Rodgers will be in deep dung.

We need to hit some runs, 1, 2, 1, 3, 0, 13, 2, 2, 0, 18, 3, 1, 3, 0, 1, 13... gotta hit those 10-20 yarders to keep the DL and OLB honest.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Back to the topic at hand, the 49ers and the game this week.

I believe our run blocking is as soft as it gets in the NFL. I love Benson, but I don't expect anything much out of him running against those 2 ILBers Willis and Bowman. Benson will see more of those 2 guys at the line of scrimmage or our side of it, than he will see holes, I am afraid. Our OL just doesn't get any push. They're all finesse pass protectors first & foremost. Wrong mindset.

But they need to stick with it so that Alden and Justin Smith don't go all-out balls-to-the-wall after Rodgers every single snap. If they are allowed to do that, we will see Newhouse struggle like in KC last year, and Rodgers will be in deep dung.

We need to hit some runs, 1, 2, 1, 3, 0, 13, 2, 2, 0, 18, 3, 1, 3, 0, 1, 13... gotta hit those 10-20 yarders to keep the DL and OLB honest.
They have to at least try to run. And they can't abandon the run during the game even if it gets them nothing. Otherwise I think you are correct. Alden and Smith will just come every play and Newhouse will be winded by the 3rd quarter. They may come anyway expecting their LB to stop any run that comes. As a DC, that's what I would do. I know the passing game is what's going to kill me so why not send them after Rodgers and give up a few ground yards. Everyone knows the Packers are not going to beat you running the ball.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
They have to at least try to run. And they can't abandon the run during the game even if it gets them nothing. Otherwise I think you are correct. Alden and Smith will just come every play and Newhouse will be winded by the 3rd quarter. They may come anyway expecting their LB to stop any run that comes. As a DC, that's what I would do. I know the passing game is what's going to kill me so why not send them after Rodgers and give up a few ground yards. Everyone knows the Packers are not going to beat you running the ball.

It's a little like Vince Lombardi's old philosophy. He said he didn't care if the other team knew what play the Packers were going to run. He said his guys would execute the play so well he dared the other team to try to stop 'em. His success speaks for itself.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I think people are going to be surprised about how effective Benson is going to be.

I tend to agree. Other teams can no longer take it for granted that the team will throw on third and short. While not a blazing superstar, he is still someone for which a defense needs to prepare. He's better than last year's backs by commitee.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Define effective?

I expect him to get around 50-60 yards. I think he will be especially effective on draws and delays and slow the 49er rush down. Rodgers will most likely do a lot of play action with him. And as Croak said the niners will have to respect him on third and short.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts