49ers

5x49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, seems like you know how to do everything but shut up and be humble. Let the field work speak for itself and let not him who dons his pads boast like him who takes them off.

I do apollogize if im coming off as a troll, that is not my intent, I come in peace im not here to stir up any trouble with the locals.

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
SF Offense >GB Defense
SF Defense = GB Offense
SF Special teams >GB special team

First off you must stop Frank and Kendall and combat our Jumbo sets, shifts, and 2 TE sets. I don't see you stopping us from running unless you overload like everyone else and when you try you leave Vernon Davis or Randy Moss in single coverage. You will get owned if you do sooner or later because no single DB will stop Vernon Davis and anything less than an 8 man front won't slow Frank Gore.

No team runs up the score on our defense unless it is the Saints and that is because they have an offense that is multifaceted. They run and they pass well whereas all GB does well is pass the football. That is what we want defensively. We take away your run to make you 1 dimensional in order to get you off the field with either a turnover or a punt. We bend but don't break and give you 3 points if that, we hit your QB and take away his scramble with our LBs, we strip your ball carriers and take away the pill, we rule field position on special teams and convert every kick. We make you score from 85 yds out then we take the ball, pound the rock and sit your QB by the Gatorade for 35+ mins of the game.

GB will be at home and pumped for the opener, but we will be hungry for respect. Should be a good game, but just as our QB has been less than elite, the same can be said for GB defense and running game last season. I do however expect Aaron Rodgers to be as always, out to let us know that we should have drafted him and try and stick it to his childhood team of choice that he so desperately wanted to play for but is thankful he didn't yet it must eat away at him in seeing our success last year knowing that if he were here and not Alex we should have won. I expect Alex to also want to put up a good showing in his own way and that being walking out with a win by any means necessary. But I do know that Aaron will be playing with that chip but I am looking for our defense to play with one also.

Its simple we win.
Iwont bother to try to predict a score .
Instead ill predict a letter....W.... 49ers

Man youshould get a job at ESPN you know all!

5x49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all I get tired of hearing this one-dimensional thing all the time. To end up where we end up every year offensively and to win as many games as we win how accurate can that be? McCarthy has said over and over that it's not necessarily the YPC but the number of carries that really matters in this offense. In other words he doesnt' LET the game get one dimensional where they put it up 50 or 60 times.

If they run it 26 times for 92 yards and win by two touchdowns is that considered a "one dimensional" performance?
I don't think so. If it were truly one dimensional the Packers wouldn't finish near the top in offense would it?

Look, I would rather play a team like San Francisco then a high powered offense with a decent D. Early like this with verdict still out on the D I would be more worried about a game where we get into a whoever has the ball last type game.

It's not like Rodgers has never faced a good defense before and won. History shows he, along with the rest of the offense, is better than any D he faces. I mean he carves Pittsburgh up like a pig and they have a pretty good defense don't they? One team he seems to have trouble with is the Bears but that just makes my point further in that even though he struggles against them at times they still put up W's.

In fact I see this as a Bears type game where Rodgers might not put up lights out numbers and he has to run for a few 1st downs and long drives are hard to come by but we get the W.

The pack have not seen this defense but you will come Sunday. This group gets virtually all of our pressure with as little 3 to 5 men, thus allowing our OLBs and MLBs to set the edge if there is a run and fill the lanes. Also, we have the distinct advantage of having the best MLB tandem in the game with the footspeed to track down speedy RBs and scrambling QBs and the versatility to cover TEs and slot WRs. With the best front 7 in football leaving our secondary with little to no worry up front and pressuring the passer the ball hawks on the back end pounce on WRs for big hits and poach the QB for forced, rushed, and errant throws.

Now Rodgers is the studliest QB in the league right now, but I think he will have to take this beating that we will put on him and still beat 7 defenders back covering WRs and TEs. I am more concerned with how GB will slow us down not how we will slow them down. And yes Moss is old but I want to see if you try to cover him with 1 DB and how that plays out. I want to see if you try to do anything other than stack 8 in the box against Gore then suffer watching him run up the yards on you. I want to see if you leave 1 CB or 1 S or 1 LB on VD and watch him make an example of you. I want to see you stop Hunter, Walker, Crabtree, Manningham, etc with that defense. We have an elite defense and an elite special teams that will force you to score from 85 yards out almost every time and I want to see if you can do that.

Finally, Rodgers ended up in the best place for him because we were in shambles trying to be BAL west under Nolan and GB was in great shape and enduring long lasting success ever since Mike Holmgren turned you into SFO north. Rodgers would have progressed very little at all under our old coaching staffs and Favre would not have been around as an example. I doubt he would be a champion here unless he were here now. Actually he may have been good enough to have kept Nolan around a little too long for us to miss out on Harbaugh. Alex has not been very good but he has a chance to win this year and that is good enough for me.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I'm no troll and I think the Niners win this one, as much as it pains me to write it. I could easily be mistaken, but Aarod seems, to me, to have had trouble getting in sync with his receivers ever since the KC game last year. This pre-season didn't look too "sync"ed in my eyes either. Maybe those of you who have attending training camp will correct me. Alex Smith doesn't have to throw a lot of touchdowns if he can get his running backs close enough to score on the ground. But I think Smith will look better this year, anyway.

I already listed my other reasons earlier in this thread. I'll take one back. The Coaches are only looking at the Niners according to Coach McCarthy. They aren't even thinking about the Bears, so the Coach says. So I was wrong on that count.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Now Rodgers is the studliest QB in the league right now, but I think he will have to take this beating that we will put on him and still beat 7 defenders back covering WRs and TEs. I am more concerned with how GB will slow us down not how we will slow them down.
the plan is to get INTs, it's what our D was designed to do.
And yes Moss is old but I want to see if you try to cover him with 1 DB and how that plays out.
Woodson>Moss
I want to see if you try to do anything other than stack 8 in the box against Gore then suffer watching him run up the yards on you. I want to see if you leave 1 CB or 1 S or 1 LB on VD and watch him make an example of you. I want to see you stop Hunter, Walker, Crabtree, Manningham, etc with that defense.
VD has always been a serious problem in one on one. expect to see us give up alot of YPC. don't expect to score automatically. We don't break either, and we proved that last season.
We have an elite defense and an elite special teams that will force you to score from 85 yards out almost every time and I want to see if you can do that
I believe we can.
Finally, Rodgers ended up in the best place for him because we were in shambles trying to be BAL west under Nolan and GB was in great shape and enduring long lasting success ever since Mike Holmgren turned you into SFO north. Rodgers would have progressed very little at all under our old coaching staffs and Favre would not have been around as an example. I doubt he would be a champion here unless he were here now. Actually he may have been good enough to have kept Nolan around a little too long for us to miss out on Harbaugh. Alex has not been very good but he has a chance to win this year and that is good enough for me.
The argument between Rodgers and Smith (the way I remember it) was that Smith was more NFL ready and Rodgers, while more talented, was still raw. We did have a few years to develop the machine we call a QB, didn't we? From what I hear Smith and Rodgers are friends, but friendly rivalries can still be just as hot.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I can tell here the 49r fans are saying they made all the moves that shores up last years shortcomings but the Packers, well....they are just the Packers with a lousy D.

When I see......
49'r Offense > Packer D

I almost have to ask how could the Packers be picked to win ANYTHING this year. If this were the case I would have to believe we would be picked to finish something like 3rd in the North.

There's no excuse for how the Packers D performed last year but there is also no real concrete reason for it either. They had most players back, including some very good Pro-Bowl caliber players, from a SB winning team that played well defensively all of 2010.

Thompson went all in on defense this off season and I can't see how Packer fans could be any less hopeful for improvement then 49r fans have for what they did to bolster their WR group. Unless of course bias comes into play.

So based on this thread somebody is WAY off. Either the Packer D is > then the 49r O or a WHOLE lot of people are way off on what the Packers stand to accomplish this year.

Good news is Sunday aint far off so we'll find out soon enough, won't we?

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust any 49er fan picking against his team any more than I would trust a Packer fan picking against his.

5x49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I can tell here the 49r fans are saying they made all the moves that shores up last years shortcomings but the Packers, well....they are just the Packers with a lousy D.

When I see......
49'r Offense > Packer D

I almost have to ask how could the Packers be picked to win ANYTHING this year. If this were the case I would have to believe we would be picked to finish something like 3rd in the North.

There's no excuse for how the Packers D performed last year but there is also no real concrete reason for it either. They had most players back, including some very good Pro-Bowl caliber players, from a SB winning team that played well defensively all of 2010.

Thompson went all in on defense this off season and I can't see how Packer fans could be any less hopeful for improvement then 49r fans have for what they did to bolster their WR group. Unless of course bias comes into play.

So based on this thread somebody is WAY off. Either the Packer D is > then the 49r O or a WHOLE lot of people are way off on what the Packers stand to accomplish this year.

Good news is Sunday aint far off so we'll find out soon enough, won't we?

True or false:

you Guys beneited from an extremely favorable schedule they played 9 of the bottom 11 defense and played no top 10 defenses last year

the best defensive teamyou faced was the #11 ranked cheifs

AR stat line for that game was 17/35 (48.6 comp %) 1 TD 0 int

It also happened to be your only loss and scored 14 points??????

:cool:

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
All that from watching pre season football?

If your team had a D that has been around like Pitt, or Balitmore, then okay..But your D hasnt been that good for that long..

Just dont assume your D will be the same as last year..It SHOULD be, but you just never know
And the Packers D wasn't that good last year. Now, if the Niners D is the same or better that last year the Packers may have a problem. But then again, we shouldn't assume the Packers offense will be as good as last year, it should, but you just never know.

5x49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And the Packers D wasn't that good last year. Now, if the Niners D is the same or better that last year the Packers may have a problem. But then again, we shouldn't assume the Packers offense will be as good as last year, it should, but you just never know.
:)

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True or false:

you Guys beneited from an extremely favorable schedule they played 9 of the bottom 11 defense and played no top 10 defenses last year

the best defensive teamyou faced was the #11 ranked cheifs

AR stat line for that game was 17/35 (48.6 comp %) 1 TD 0 int

It also happened to be your only loss and scored 14 points??????

:cool:

True, on not playing a top 10 defensive team. They weren't on our schedule. ;)

Hope I used spell check. :eek:

5x49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, on not playing a top 10 defensive team. They weren't on our schedule. ;)

Hope I used spell check. :eek:

So is it safe to say your offense is slightly ovverated or the stats was skewed a little?

look im not saying the pack are not great on offense im just saying WHEN you guys faced TOP tier defense you failed both times. KC &NY

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So is it safe to say your offense is slightly ovverated or the stats was skewed a little?

look im not saying the pack are not great on offense im just saying WHEN you guys faced TOP tier defense you failed both times. KC &NY

I'll answer your question with another true or false question. True or False:
The 2011 GB Packers strength of schedule was rated as the 13th toughest and the 49ers was rated as the 30th toughest.

We beat the Giants in the regular season so we had only one hiccup against KC.

5x49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll answer your question with another true or false question. True or False:
The 2011 GB Packers strength of schedule was rated as the 13th toughest and the 49ers was rated as the 30th toughest.

We beat the Giants in the regular season so we had only one hiccup against KC.

We beat the Giants aswell in the regular season.

Strenght of schedule LOL
we playED 4 of 2011 playoff teams FROM both THE AFC & THE NFC WE WENT 3-1 IN THOSE GAMES.

LOL we played 6 of the top 10 defenses from last year including seattle twice and went 6-1 in those games

and you talk about strenght of schedule LMMFAO
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...OTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

5x49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Half of our 13 wins came against top 10 defenses from last year
Just for kick Arizona d is no push over they ranked 18th we went 1-1 against them

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for kick Arizona d is no push over they ranked 18th we went 1-1 against them

So tell us an Offensive juggernaut you beat during the season? Detroit? yes we beat them twice.

Another thing you are a troll whether you deny it or not and they don't last long around here.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Well, if you go by the NFL defensive rating you may be barking up the wrong tree. The NFL rates defenses only on yards given up. Which is not really a true test of which D is better. A few years ago Miami had the top passing Defense in the league yet they had a losing season. You can't base a top D on yards alone. The Packers pass D didn't look good last year, part of which is because they gave up so many yards in the 4th quarter to teams trying to catch them. A third of all the passing yards against Green Bay came in the 4th quarter last year. So they gave up a lot of garbage time passing yards.

You guys can argue about this all you want, but part of the reason the Packers SOS was down there was the two games against the Vikings. Take the 4 games out against the worst opponents, the Packer 2 against the Vikings, the next two and then compare SOS. You will get a better fell for what the teams SOS was really like.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Proves the point your defense was better than other defenses but what offensive team did you throttle?. That 19-11 win against the Skins was impressive.
:roflmao:

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I guess because we didn't play Cleveland, Bengals, Miami, Cincy, Seattle, Titans, and Jacksonville, all these stellar top 12 defensive teams, our offense isn't really that good. Oh, and the top rated team, Pittsburgh, we put up like a hundred points the last two times we played them and they ARE right at the top on D year in year out. Oh yeah, and one of those was the SB.

Hmmm. I'm having a hard time with that one. To even start saying that because KC has this "rated D" and the Packers couldn't handle it doesn't even begin to tell the story. EVERY team, no matter how good they are, can't get up for every game. It's just the way it is. We go to their place and I believe they just replaced their coach and all jacked up, and we're about as high as an ant on another one's shoulders. So PLEAASE don't go there and try to take stats from one lousy game. I'll take the body of work over the last few years, thank you.

What fails to sink in for me is the obvious thought process going on here that because the 49r's had a good year, finally, they are obviously now prepared to destroy the world and that the Packers who actually had an even better year are now this overrated offense with a lousy D.

One good years looking like a bottle of whiskey. Just ready to take on the whole bar ain't we?

5x49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So tell us a Offensive juggernaut you beat during the season? Detroit, yes we beat them twice.

Another thing you are a troll whether you deny it or not and they don't last long around here

We took down Eli & Megatron to answer your question?

Now answer mine.

What defensive Juggernaut did you beat during the season?

none when you did face a defensive Juggernaut you lost both times

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We took down Eli & Megatron to answer your question?

Now answer mine.

What defensive Juggernaut did you beat during the season?

none when you did face a defensive Juggernaut you lost both times

Similarly we beat the Giants and Lions (twice) ... drum roll please. You are making this way to easy. :roflmao:

Keep on trolling! :whistling:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

How long has the Packers offense been real good?

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Well for what it's worth, I won't cheapen any of those records. I also would challenge anyone to say that there is a fair comparison between the two; what kind of athletic competition did he face in the 40's? Football players back then for the most part, weren't supremely athletic and skilled, they were just better than what else was available. None of those players would even sniff a practice squad against today's players - who are all bigger, stronger, and faster.
LOL, you CAN'T cheapen those records. His competition might have been slower and less athletic which only points to the obvious.... he was dominating. Nobody expected super athletes back in the day and yet here he was. Domination is domination regardless of the year.
I challenge to say there is a fair comparison, NFL athletes are bigger, faster and stronger than they were in Rice's day right? Still regarded as one of the best all time. Yep, against those athletes. Not the current players.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Not to say that popularity is the measure of a great player, but I must ask; when the mention of the best WR ever comes about, why is Rice always the conclusion? There's no incentive for people to pick Jerry Rice over anyone else... They don't get extra raffle tickets or anything...
Because outside of the Chicago Bears no team in the NFL has the history or tradition or great players to talk about. The rub here is that no Bears fan will admit who the best WR was because they are so bitter that the Packers are far better than any other team since the start of the league. So it's left to Packer fans to school all of you young upstart fans about the history of the league and it's best players.
Pay attention at packerforum.com and you'll learn alot.

Members online

Latest posts