49ers

Quantum Dong

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a great way to start the season much like New Orleans last year. Quite a tough test, and it'll prepare us for the loooooong season to come. :) Football's back, people!

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Well Bush is the best we have at this time I fear. I'm praying the injury to House doesn't plague him all year. Bush is a good tackler and that should be a plus against Gore. I'm ok with Woodson at safety.

This is disconcerting. Bush has the potential to make Alex Smith look like a pro-bowl caliber QB.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Regarding Bush... I just can't help myself, I'm going to post this regardless of its complete unfairness. I normally don't like bashing away on individual players and Bush has made a lot of progress...but still...in Bush, I'm reminded of a scene from the TV show the West Wing where two speech writers were having a little fun writing the speech that the show's President was going to give introducing a new Vice-President that wasn't particularly well thought of. Anyway, I've taken a few liberties with dialogue...but here goes:

"Toby Ziegler: In a triumph of the middling, a nod to mediocrity, and with gorge rising, it gives me great nausea to announce Jarrett Bush - Bingo Bush, himself - as your new starting cornerback.
Will Bailey: This lapdog of the special team coach is as dull as he is unremarkable...
Toby Ziegler: ...as lackluster as he is soporific. This reversion to the mean...
Will Bailey: ...this rebuke to the exemplary...
Toby Ziegler: ...gives hope to the millions unfavored by the exceptional... Jarrett Bush: not the worst, not the best, just what we're stuck with."

To his credit, the kid keeps showing up for work ... I've never heard his "heart" being questioned. All b.s. aside, I'm pulling for the kid.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was a pretty scathing article. I feel your pain, it's a shame when you have one part of your team, not performing up to par, that lets the other two down. Especially when the other two are doing more than enough to win. With our team it's the O with yours the D.
We've been saying the same thing about Alex Smith on our MB, with all the new toys it's time to get it done or next man up.

While it would be nice to have, we don't need a defense as good as you guys have. We do need one that is capable and I don't think ours met that standard last year. I think we will be this year.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
San-Fran is a very good team a lot of talent on both sides of the ball,but I think our d-line will get after Smith Perry will help Clay out a lot I know we don't stop the run too well but I think it will improve a little this year.I don't want Moss pulling off what he did last time when he was aq viking.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The Packers could start Shields, Hayward, or the wounded House at RCB. They could also start Woodson at RCB and either MD Jennings or McMillian at safety opposite Burnett in their base D. I’m posting the obvious just to make the point that they have 11 DBs available and McCarthy, Capers and staff can use any combination they choose and they think Bush is the best option at RCB against the 49ers. The 49ers were third in rushing attempts per game last season so Bush’s ability vs. the run probably has a lot to do with his starting. My guess is vs. a pass-heavy team someone else will take that spot. And if Bush isn’t getting the job done in coverage when he does start, they have other options. I expect Bush to get help over the top most of the game.

Don’t get me wrong, I was hoping Shields would take the step-up he should have taken last season and grab the starting CB spot and keep it for the next several seasons. Failing that, I was hoping Hayward would surprise as a rookie or House would take the leap from year one to year two McCarthy frequently talks about. It turns out House took that leap big time. I know we didn’t see much of him before he injured his shoulder but the early reports of his staying in Green Bay to work out in the offseason to the camp reports were very encouraging. His play vs. the Chargers could hardly have been better IMO. I know we don’t have a lot of evidence but he looked to me to have combined the toughness and tackling ability of Bush with the coverage skills Shields showed his rookie season. Now at best he’ll play with a harness to protect his shoulder. Remember how Tramon’s play was affected with his shoulder injury? If receivers know a CB can’t effectively bump them at the LOS, it gives the receiver a huge advantage. I wonder if it would be better to use the new IR designation for House to let his shoulder heal completely – or just IR him for the year.

RonnieLott42

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it would be nice to have, we don't need a defense as good as you guys have. We do need one that is capable and I don't think ours met that standard last year. I think we will be this year.
I believe Capers will get the most out the guys he has available to him and with the Packers incredible offense that'll be more than enough. After reading those articles yesterday I can see him putting in overtime to shut those writers up.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Gotta match the 49ers intensity too. I know it should not be too hard for a home opener coming off a one and done but still......this is Jim Harbaugh. He eats intensity and determination for lunch. No doubt in my mind he will want his boys lathered up and ready to make a statement that they are not going away in the NFC.

RonnieLott42

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is disconcerting. Bush has the potential to make Alex Smith look like a pro-bowl caliber QB.
The talk around the campfire is that there will be a more "vertical" attack but we'll have to wait and see if Alex Smith can shed his "Captain Checkdown" label just yet. Frankly, I think the WR's that we got are just there to keep teams honest and not necessarily a change of offensive philosophy. Harbaugh's run roughly 60% of the time anywhere he's been, even with Luck at Stanford. We'll see.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guess seeing Moss again, but in a different uniform, will evoke memories. Seeing Rice in a Raiders jersey for the first time broke my heart.

Meh, he went to Cali once already. I don't think much of it.

Yeah I could see how rice would hurt. That was a tough situation.

What did you think about him in Seattle?

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guess seeing Moss again, but in a different uniform, will evoke memories. Seeing Rice in a Raiders jersey for the first time broke my heart.

Small potatoes. There is nothing that compares to seeing Farve in a Vikings uniform ... it made me disgusted, mad as hell, sick, and a little bit crazy all at the same time.

RonnieLott42

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Small potatoes. There is nothing that compares to seeing Farve in a Vikings uniform ... it made me disgusted, mad as hell, sick, and a little bit crazy all at the same time.
Oh yeah almost forgot that! Favre in purple was intolerable for the casual fan and for Packer fans I would imagine, inexcusable.

RonnieLott42

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meh, he went to Cali once already. I don't think much of it.

Yeah I could see how rice would hurt. That was a tough situation.

What did you think about him in Seattle?
I was sad to see him in both Seattle and Denver. The mind was willing but the body wasn't able. As much as it hurt to see them in Silver and Black I must admit I did cheer for Jerry, Ronnie and Roger to do well and disappointed that they were let go by the Niners so easily.

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember 2 years ago after preseason saying that we had found out Tramon Williams couldn't cover anyone. I'm hoping Bush, Hayward or Shields again prove me wrong. I'm more worried about their backs and Davis than I am their wideouts.

H

HardRightEdge

When I hear Bush is starting, the next 3 words I hope to hear are "with safety help". The lights just don't suddenly turn on in year 7.

I would think best case (for him) is that he's the "starter" in the sense that Pickett is a starter...he'll be in there in base D on running downs and give way when the ball is expected to fly.

In any case, MM said in today's press conference he's not saying who will start or play nickel/dime.

5x49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK Pack fans, U speak of balance offensively, but no offense, even the Saints can be a balanced unit vs our defense. Each and every team to face us including teams with elite running backs give up on the run and become pass heavy or unbalanced as some like to say. To beat us, GB will have to pass the ball 50 to 60 times and do so without error or turnover or fumble. Cedric Benson we faced last year and held him under 4yds per carry. We stuff every rushing attack en route to the passer without ever having to stack the box. This allows our DBs to completely immerse themselves in pass defense not having to worry about leakage up front. A passing team is what we want and we give up yards but not points while forcing a very high amount of turnovers on error and on downs. Then to cap things off, our ST is the league's best so when you have an elite defense and ST, you win the field position battle decidedly.

As for us being run heavy, that is what we do but this year we have playmakers at WR (not as good as yours) and at TE(VD and Walker are better than yours) to force teams to cover them so they can't stack the box to slow down Frank and Kendall. A defense like ours could stop the run with less than 8 in the box but one like yours simply cannot so you will be faced with a quandary stack up or get smacked up. And Benson had a lot of yardage over the years but he appeared to have stayed healthier than Gore with a lot more attempts with less than 4ypc whereas Frank has been a 5ypc RB most of his career. And you have 1 quality RB as to us having a stable along with a better run blocking OL and TEs that block better than anyone. You will not stuff our run and get us off the field without loading up and even then we will make plays in space. The Pack defense just can't cut it and we won't turn it over because we don't make ill advised gunslinging throws. This game will be more likely a battle of attrition and I like our chances.

And you quote the great Bill Walsh which every packer fan should since Holmgren but I was around when the Dallas Cowboys beat us when we had basically the same team GB had and Dallas had a team similar to ours. The sentiment around here was that DAL would not stop our offense and that we were too explosive, well it turned out to be the other way around. We could not score all those TDs we dreamed of because Emmitt and DAL OL was dominating us all game and when we overcommitted Irvin and Novacek were gashing us. They beat us in the trenches for 2 years straight OL and DL until we bought the Super Bowl in 94. We plan on doing the same thing to GB this year.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK Pack fans, U speak of balance offensively, but no offense, even the Saints can be a balanced unit vs our defense. Each and every team to face us including teams with elite running backs give up on the run and become pass heavy or unbalanced as some like to say. To beat us, GB will have to pass the ball 50 to 60 times and do so without error or turnover or fumble. Cedric Benson we faced last year and held him under 4yds per carry. We stuff every rushing attack en route to the passer without ever having to stack the box. This allows our DBs to completely immerse themselves in pass defense not having to worry about leakage up front. A passing team is what we want and we give up yards but not points while forcing a very high amount of turnovers on error and on downs. Then to cap things off, our ST is the league's best so when you have an elite defense and ST, you win the field position battle decidedly.

As for us being run heavy, that is what we do but this year we have playmakers at WR (not as good as yours) and at TE(VD and Walker are better than yours) to force teams to cover them so they can't stack the box to slow down Frank and Kendall. A defense like ours could stop the run with less than 8 in the box but one like yours simply cannot so you will be faced with a quandary stack up or get smacked up. And Benson had a lot of yardage over the years but he appeared to have stayed healthier than Gore with a lot more attempts with less than 4ypc whereas Frank has been a 5ypc RB most of his career. And you have 1 quality RB as to us having a stable along with a better run blocking OL and TEs that block better than anyone. You will not stuff our run and get us off the field without loading up and even then we will make plays in space. The Pack defense just can't cut it and we won't turn it over because we don't make ill advised gunslinging throws. This game will be more likely a battle of attrition and I like our chances.

And you quote the great Bill Walsh which every packer fan should since Holmgren but I was around when the Dallas Cowboys beat us when we had basically the same team GB had and Dallas had a team similar to ours. The sentiment around here was that DAL would not stop our offense and that we were too explosive, well it turned out to be the other way around. We could not score all those TDs we dreamed of because Emmitt and DAL OL was dominating us all game and when we overcommitted Irvin and Novacek were gashing us. They beat us in the trenches for 2 years straight OL and DL until we bought the Super Bowl in 94. We plan on doing the same thing to GB this year.

There are a couple of fallacies in your post I would like to point out. With regard to Cedric Benson, Cincinnatti's passing attack in no way resembles that of the Pack. We will use the running game as a change of pace and most likely to surprise the 49 er defense with draws, etc. No we won't have to throw the ball 50 to 60 times to win. We will probably throw it around 40 times like the Saints did. But we won't turn the ball over 5 times like they did either!!!

You must be referring to our previous QB with the reference to gunslinging throws. Rodgers isn't a gunslinger and is very careful with the ball. Check out where he stood interception wise last year. That played a big part in his astronomical QB rating.

1994 isn't the NFL in 2012. It is a passing game first now. Back then it wasn't so I'd be careful making the same comparison. And I've checked the posts here and you are the only one talking about offensive balance. See my statement above regarding how we will approach this game.

TE wise we have a very good blocker in Crabtree. We don't use Finley in a typical TE way. He's more of a receiver. He will command attention from your LB's and that opens up other threats including a Benson.

You also are basing a lot on last years Packer defense. We have brought in some new players on defense just as the 49ers have on offense. Last year teams were able to tie up our best pass rusher Clay Matthews with double and triple teams. We now have a threat from the other side. Smith hasn't shown yet he can make a defense pay with his deep throws so we may indeed be able to play guys closer to the line.

The Packers are playing at home where the niners haven't beat us since Moby **** was a sardine. I like our chances. .

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As for us being run heavy, that is what we do but this year we have playmakers at WR (not as good as yours) and at TE(VD and Walker are better than yours) to force teams to cover them so they can't stack the box to slow down Frank and Kendall. A defense like ours could stop the run with less than 8 in the box but one like yours simply cannot so you will be faced with a quandary stack up or get smacked up. And Benson had a lot of yardage over the years but he appeared to have stayed healthier than Gore with a lot more attempts with less than 4ypc whereas Frank has been a 5ypc RB most of his career. And you have 1 quality RB as to us having a stable along with a better run blocking OL and TEs that block better than anyone. You will not stuff our run and get us off the field without loading up and even then we will make plays in space. The Pack defense just can't cut it and we won't turn it over because we don't make ill advised gunslinging throws.

Couple things

1. Rodgers isn't going to throw it 60 times. Sorry, last season he only threw for over 39 times once and averages 33 attempts a game. Let's be realistic.

2. Rodgers is by far the best deep passer in the league based off of last season. Alex smith? Yeah he is capt check down. I'm sorry but he isn't a franchise QB and leaves much to be desired. No one is taking a deep threat from him seriously.

3. As far as your WRs, I believe your coach said something about having 4 number 1 WRs, if you have 4 then you have none.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I almost forgot to mention,

Don Hutson > Jerry Rice
Bart Starr > Montana

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all it would be just about impossible to start seven rookies on defense. At any given time you may have Worthy, Perry, Hayward, and, an extra rookie Dback but that would be the MOST I can see.
We have Pickett, Raji, Mathews, Hawk, Smith, Williams, Woodson, and Burnett on the field. Worthy will come in for Pickett or whatever but the rest of these guys aren't going to the bench.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I know this is a Packer forum but, REALLY??
Ah, yeah, I would go with that.

About Hutson....
As of the end of the 2009 NFL season, Hutson still holds the following records:
Most seasons leading league in pass receptions (8),
Most consecutive seasons leading league in pass receptions (5),
Most seasons leading league in pass receiving yards gained (7),
Most consecutive seasons leading league in pass receiving yards gained (4),
Most seasons leading league in pass receiving touchdowns (9),
Most consecutive seasons leading league in pass receiving touchdowns (5),
Most seasons leading league in scoring (5),
Most consecutive seasons leading league in scoring (5)

Don't think anyone has broken thost records yet. And, he retired in 1945.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know this is a Packer forum but, REALLY??

Most dominate WR in nfl history. Hard to argue against that.

Jerry rice, emmitt smith, and Brett Favre have all the volume records, which doesn't make you the best.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts