49ers trying to bring back Alex Smith

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
NFL.com Blogs » Blog Archive Harbaugh: Smith can get fresh start with 49ers «

And the sound you just heard was 80% of 49er fans kissing his *** and wanting the bust to come back.

I can't help but laugh at this. They will always argue that Alex was a better choice over Rodgers because Rodgers "had Favre to learn from" where in SF, Alex Smith forgets to go through all 4 of his options on a play before forcing a ball into triple coverage.

Here's to another 6-10 season, love watching them fail and then defend him like he's Steve Young
:happy0005::happy0005::happy0005::happy0005:

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Why can't they just admit they screwed up by taking Smith instead of Rodgers, and get a REAL quarterback?

Because 3/4's of their fan base is idiots.

I have a friend that does nothing but kiss his ***. They thrive on short losses because it is a "brink of hope". Don't know about them, but with me, and having to hear about the Saints "almost winning" close games as a kid in the 90's, I am not one who thinks short losses are a sign of hope.

Just look at every game Alex Smith has blown with a turnover, and they still think he's great.

2009 At Texans
Houston led 24-21 with 2:00 minutes left in the first quarter, despite throwing a game winning TD after having them come back into the game, Alex Smith overthrows Vernon Davis and was intercepted.

2009 Titans at home
Smith turned the ball over 3 times with a fumble and 2 picks, and still had a chance for going into Overtime until he decided to force a ball in double coverage to get picked off and end the game.

2010 at Falcons
The Niners led 14 to 0 in this game, and the Falcons managed to score 10 off of Smith's turnovers. Ultimately his picks dropped their momentum in this game, and not completing many passes is another thing.

2010 Eagles at home
Yeah remember the game where the fans in Candlestick were booing him? Yeah I know, he brought a come back like he did in the Texans game, but just like that same game, he ended the come back attempt by over throwing a receiver and getting picked off.

2010 at Rams
When Troy Smith was benched after struggling, Alex Smith got them a touchdown, and had enough time to tie the game for Overtime, and what does he do? Instead of getting sacked, he fumbles the ball.

I'm sure I'm missing a lot more games, but those are the ones that always come to mind when I think of blown games.

Last year their excuse of his screw ups was he had "no protection" but if you have flashback of Warren Moon getting sacked over 40 times due to no protection, you also remember he led the league in passing those years. Hell, A-Rod was sacked over 50 TIMES in 2009 and we were still in the playoffs!
Not the O-Line's fault he has no mobility to avoid a rush, and panics to force a ball in double coverage.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I only wonder how good they would be if switched. would Rodgers be the one thats considered a bust and Smith having "over come Favre" to win a Super Bowl...

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I only wonder how good they would be if switched. would Rodgers be the one thats considered a bust and Smith having "over come Favre" to win a Super Bowl...

There is NO WAY in hell I will ever believe Smith could have overcame Favre :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Smith also has the weapons. I don't see how he can only win two games as a starter last season with Frank the tank,Vernon Davis, and those receivers may not be the best, but they are enough to atleast win more than 2 games.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
with crabtree and vernon davis he should at least be decent. i mean look at matt ryan. he only has roddy white and tony gonzalez.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bill Simmons said it best... "Alex Smith is trying to become the first quarterback to throw a football hard enough to go through a linebacker's chest."

It just goes to show you how hard it is to find a quality QB. Alex Smith will now be entering his 7th season in the NFL. INSANE........

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
His contract is up, they need to stop wasting money on a bust and get a REAL quarterback.
Look at the Cardinals. They did it with Warner, but it didn't take them long to see Matt Lienart was a bust.
3 years after Russell, the Raiders were done with him.
San Diego didn't waste 6 years on Ryan Leaf.

By the time Alex Smith is finally done, he will be the biggest bust in the NFL cause he's hurt his team longer than any of the guys I mentioned, and it's completely the 49ers fault. They don't even try to resolve it by cutting him, just pat him on the back cause their fan base will do the same and stick by him. I try to their their stupid ***** every now and then he is not and will never be Steve Young, but they are too delusional to believe me.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is NO WAY in hell I will ever believe Smith could have overcame Favre :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Smith also has the weapons. I don't see how he can only win two games as a starter last season with Frank the tank,Vernon Davis, and those receivers may not be the best, but they are enough to atleast win more than 2 games.

I don't think he could have either...more of a hypothetical than anything...idk if he could have stood to drop that far in the draft

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I first read the headline, my immediate thought was...

"Why, did the hotdog vendor in section 122 quit?"

Ausnadian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they are afraid that some other team will pick him up and develop him into a good QB, which in turn makes them look even worse.
My real thoughts hinge around the fact that they will be a run first team with Gore, and don't believe they need an elite QB.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about the rest of you,but I'm tired of hearing how A-rod learned from one of the greatest,mind you he may have learned some things from Brett but one thing he didn't learn is smarts,he didn't learn his fundamentals from Brett I belive A-rod could have started the day he was drafted.Why I say all of this Smith is showing who he is from the time he was drafted not very good he is like Cutler can't take the heat he makes bad choices 49ners are going to be like radiers pay big bucks on some one who can't play the game.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I don't know about the rest of you,but I'm tired of hearing how A-rod learned from one of the greatest,mind you he may have learned some things from Brett but one thing he didn't learn is smarts,he didn't learn his fundamentals from Brett I belive A-rod could have started the day he was drafted.Why I say all of this Smith is showing who he is from the time he was drafted not very good he is like Cutler can't take the heat he makes bad choices 49ners are going to be like radiers pay big bucks on some one who can't play the game.

He's been showing his *** since day one cuz that is who he really is!

There is not another fan base in the NFL that still pampers and loves a bust as much as those who call themselves the 49er Faithful.

If this was a Quarterback in Minnesota or Dallas who only had 1 Touchdown followed by 12 Interceptions his rookie season, that would had been enough for their fans. Instead the Niners thrive on short losses.

Just go on BleacherReport and read all their articles about how Alex Smith should be the starter next year, and how he deserves yet another chance after ******* up every chance he's been given (because they "ALMOST WON this and that many games". They are suckers for no success. Troy Smith sucks too, but he did more in winning games than Alex Smith has ever tried for them.

Look at Shaun Hill who had a worse Offensive Line, and no weapons in Detroit, and he managed to win more games as a starter than Alex Smith has done for them. Why didn't they keep Hill? And when Mike Martz was there, he got them Shaun Hill cause he seen Alex Smith was never going to do anything for them. That's why he had Smith on the bench.

You either love Mike Martz or you hate him, I'm not much of a fan of him, but the Niners getting rid of him was a huge mistake they will never admit. He could have made Shaun Hill into a good quarterback, but they wanted a bust, so I say they should keep Alex Smith another 4 years and keep failing with him. They're going to end up over working Frank Gore until injuries ruin his career, which is a damn shame considering how he is basically their whole offense.

What they don't understand is Almost winning is NOT winning. If Almost was a W, then all the Bears fans could really say they won the NFC Championship. I had to watch the Saints growing up, and I ain't talking about the last 10 years. When the Saints were coached by Jim Mora, and Mike Ditka they would lose so many close games. All those divisional loses to SF and Atlanta in the early 90's, they would lose by 6 or less points after totally out gaining them on yards, first downs, but would screw themselves with turn overs. How many of those short losses did Alex Smith really out play the other quarterback? Not very many...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have to be better than Smith, what could we get from them we need?

Patrick Willis. Even though we would have to give up something more than just flynn for him. I would give them our #1 and flynn in a heartbeat for Willis but thats just me.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Willis got franchise tagged last year I think. They aren't dumb enough to trade him, but they are dumb enough to resign Alex Smith.

VBJunkie

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have to be better than Smith, what could we get from them we need?

The few good players they have... they'd never give up. It would have to be a draft pick.

I'd trade them Matt Flynn for a 2nd round pick and Alex Smith. If only so we could actually turn Alex into a passable QB.. which we would trade to Minnesota in 2 years for another 2nd round pick.

Once in their system.. Alex would revert to the strong armed gunslinging turnover machine we'll be missing now that Favre is gone.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
The few good players they have... they'd never give up. It would have to be a draft pick.

I'd trade them Matt Flynn for a 2nd round pick and Alex Smith. If only so we could actually turn Alex into a passable QB.. which we would trade to Minnesota in 2 years for another 2nd round pick.

Once in their system.. Alex would revert to the strong armed gunslinging turnover machine we'll be missing now that Favre is gone.

That would be nice, but you know deep down they ain't gonna trade their bust. He's too much of a quality to them. The true reason they can never finish a game, just to almost win 10 of them. They'll use that as an excuse to never trade him or cut him, cause they almost won 10 games in 2009, and almost won 8 last year.

I don't think ANY team has ever offered to trade for him in all of his career, so that should tell 'em something.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Well looks like I was right. Smith is still throwing picks too and blowing it even in preseason.

Harbaugh wins the early award of biggest dumb move by a coach.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score

Somehow I doubt it. On the other hand, if they would have picked Rodgers, would we be talking 49'ers dynasty II?

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Well looks like I was right. Smith is still throwing picks too and blowing it even in preseason.

Harbaugh wins the early award of biggest dumb move by a coach.

Unless he is unlucky enough that Smith is still his best choice.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts