49ers roster

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thread is pathetic.

Four straight losses to the niners, and we come back with salary cap smack talk? WTF?

Kaepernick will get paid, and yes they will have to retool the roster. But they had what looked like a strong draft class this past year which they basically redshirted, and they have extra picks for next year. They're not going to fall off the face of the world no matter how much you wish it.

and they could possibly make a trade or two, with these aging over the hill players and get some more picks in return. they may take a slight dive, but they are in a good shape for the most part. And they won't be afraid to give a couple free agents a real look to fill in some holes at a decent price.

OP
OP
NOMOFO

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This thread is pathetic.

Four straight losses to the niners, and we come back with salary cap smack talk? WTF?

Kaepernick will get paid, and yes they will have to retool the roster. But they had what looked like a strong draft class this past year which they basically redshirted, and they have extra picks for next year. They're not going to fall off the face of the world no matter how much you wish it.

There is nothing pathetic about it. Nothing. Take some time and take a long look at the Niners roster and contracts and compare it to the rest of the NFL. They are in trouble. You are the one that's off base here. It's people that never look at history or facts and jump to only TODAY that are pathetic.

There were some additional very good points made in this thread. Such as.... not only are they in trouble in terms of their cap and rostering, but they're also one of the oldest teams in the NFL! Some of you also forget just how pathetic this franchise was for several years just a few years back. A short little run of some success DOES NOT PROVE SQUAT.

Packers = 5th best winning percentage the past 10 years.

D

Deleted member 6794

There is nothing pathetic about it. Nothing. Take some time and take a long look at the Niners roster and contracts and compare it to the rest of the NFL. They are in trouble. You are the one that's off base here. It's people that never look at history or facts and jump to only TODAY that are pathetic.

There were some additional very good points made in this thread. Such as.... not only are they in trouble in terms of their cap and rostering, but they're also one of the oldest teams in the NFL! Some of you also forget just how pathetic this franchise was for several years just a few years back. A short little run of some success DOES NOT PROVE SQUAT.

Once again, the Niners have been to three consecutive NFC championship games and ended the Packers season twice in a row now. So as long as we don´t beat them at least once there´s no reason to talk smack about them.

BTW the Packers success over the last 20 years with 15 playoff appearances has a lot to do with the fact that we had two HOF QBs, not because of the way we managed our salary cap.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Once again, the Niners have been to three consecutive NFC championship games and ended the Packers season twice in a row now. So as long as we don´t beat them at least once there´s no reason to talk smack about them.

BTW the Packers success over the last 20 years with 15 playoff appearances has a lot to do with the fact that we had two HOF QBs, not because of the way we managed our salary cap.

Yet we have the highest paid QB and a LB that ranks where up there in salary

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I may be talking total ******** here but we can sign as many free agents and top draft picks as we want, but with our record of injuries, which I think the majority of us believed was down to the conditioning and medical staff, all of them will probably end up on I.R. anyway. THIS problem needs addressing far more or I think we will always end up dead in the water.

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I may be talking total ******** here but we can sign as many free agents and top draft picks as we want, but with our record of injuries, which I think the majority of us believed was down to the conditioning and medical staff, all of them will probably end up on I.R. anyway. THIS problem needs addressing far more or I think we will always end up dead in the water.

Very true. something isn't right, and i just hope they figure it out. but i still think they need to grab a couple free agents.

OP
OP
NOMOFO

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree. I just don't know how all of these injuries can be chalked up to bad luck. It's insane.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
To ell with the whiners and their fickle fanbase, why are we talking about them here...........:speechless:

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 49ers are in real cap trouble. They better win the superbowl this year or it was all for nothing. We all most beat them with all their stars and are guys in wheelchairs. When the 49ers start losing their star guys because they chase the money that the 49ers wont have they will probably miss the playoffs.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we want to build the Packers using the 49er model, we should do this:

1. Cut Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews
2. Suck big time
3. Get lots of very talented players at the top of the draft
4. Wait for a QB to emerge into a star under his rookie contract
5. Spend some money on great FAs
6. Hope you win a SB before your team collapses (about 3 years)

Possibly the best post I've ever seen.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fine with that. It seems like the Packers have a ton of cap space, but you have to realize that five of the Packers defensive starters for most of last season are free agents and some ILB and S help is much needed.

Shields will be expensive to keep, but he's the only one. Replacing Raji saves cap space most likely without a drop off in play. Neal is an easily replaceable guy. Pickett is too old and he's solid, but not good enough to get tons of money. And Jolly won't get much more than the minimum. Starter doesn't mean expensive.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Shields will be expensive to keep, but he's the only one. Replacing Raji saves cap space most likely without a drop off in play. Neal is an easily replaceable guy. Pickett is too old and he's solid, but not good enough to get tons of money. And Jolly won't get much more than the minimum. Starter doesn't mean expensive.

Jolly's health may make his decision for him

raj34

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hear, hear! Drafting doesn't matter. Coaching doesn't matter. Free Agency doesn't matter.

None of those things matter if our team is a freaking MASH unit every year.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So TT's willingness to sign Rodgers after only a handful of starts to a long-term deal that proved to be very shrewd and well below fair market value for what he became had nothing to do with managing our salary cap?

D

Deleted member 6794

So TT's willingness to sign Rodgers after only a handful of starts to a long-term deal that proved to be very shrewd and well below fair market value for what he became had nothing to do with managing our salary cap?

TT absolutely deserves credit for that.

OP
OP
NOMOFO

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

ding ding ding ding!

Give that man a green and gold cookie and a spotted cow.

soho9erfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You are greatly exaggerating the age of the 49ers roster and their cap troubles. The 49ers will likely cut Carlos Rogers in the offseason, which will give them 8 million in cap space. You criticized this contract in a previous post, which only highlights your lack of knowledge in the salary cap.. Everyone knows Rogers' contract was actually a 3 year guaranteed deal, rather than a 5.. So Rogers will be gone and the 49ers will have an extra 8 million..

Regardless, the 49ers have Joe Staley, Anthony Davis, Vernon Davis, Patrick Willis, Ahmad Brooks, NaVarro Bowman, and Eric Reid locked up through 2015-- some of these players even through 2017.. If those aren't considered cornerstone players I don't know who are..

Sure, the 49ers will have some decisions to make. Iupati and Crabtree have 1 year remaining on their deals. I would love to have Boldin back, but I don't think the 49ers can afford him. So he will likely be gone next year, but that saves 5 million that he would have likely required to stay. The 49ers will have to pick and choose between Iupati and Crabtree

But the 49ers have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds of the upcoming draft. Don't be surprised if they trade up, like they did to grab Reid, in order to get another quality receiver.

As far as age concerns, Justin Smith is obviously in the twilight of his career, along with Gore and Jonathan Goodwin.. But those are the only starters over 30 years old (I'm ignoring Terrell Brown because he is a FA and unlikely to resign consider we signed Brock thru 2017 and have Chris Culliver as our other starter).. So to say the 49ers are old is a joke. The 49ers have Lattimore in the wing to replace Gore and they have Tank Carradine to replace Justin Smith. They also have Danny Kilgore to replace Goodwin..

So, while I appreciate your concern for the 49ers roster, I don't have any worry in the world..

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
You're ignoring the fact that the 9'ers aren't paying their QB yet. Used to have this very discussion with Buccaneer fans during their mini-run at relevance back in the day. The window slams shut in a big hurry.

soho9erfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're ignoring the fact that the 9'ers aren't paying their QB yet. Used to have this very discussion with Buccaneer fans during their mini-run at relevance back in the day. The window slams shut in a big hurry.
No. I'm well aware we are going to have to pay Kap. Again, we already have our corner stones locked up. Kap's extension won't be as crippling as it is for other teams. Plus, I expect Kap to get closer to Cutler money than Flacco

D

Deleted member 6794

No. I'm well aware we are going to have to pay Kap. Again, we already have our corner stones locked up. Kap's extension won't be as crippling as it is for other teams. Plus, I expect Kap to get closer to Cutler money than Flacco

Cutler gets $18 million a year, that's still a huge cap hit.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Very true. The other thing is that EVERY successful team since the dawn of free agency...loses their guys to other teams that are willing to pay crazy *** money for guys who fit into a successful team's scheme, but are lured away by the big bucks and end up fading into oblivion...a guy that comes to mind immediately is a former Packer -- Gabe Wilkins -- who was a good bit player and fill in after Sean Jones retired following the 97 season, the 9'ers picked him up, paying big (at that time) and never panned out...still, point is that these professional athletes get paid personally for the results generated by the entire unit...as I said, the window closes fast -- and somebody will over pay Kaepernick. If it's not the 9'ers, it'll be someone like Cleveland...

Members online

Latest posts