49ers fan in peace, Came to ask about Matt Flynn

The Jerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
49ers have their new HC in Jim Harbaugh, and will more than likely be looking for a veteran QB who has experince in some type of WCO. Matt Flynn did good vs the Patriots in his first start and it seems like he would be a great look at for a trade.

I was wondering if you guys could give me some more insight on him and what it would possibly take to get him? 3rd rounder? 4th? I believe Jim and Trent will be looking to trade for him or Josh Johnson from TB, but ONLY if a CBA is signed and trades can happen. GL in the playoffs! I hope we can meet there next season!

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a 3rd would be a good deal for both sides. I think a 2nd is a little high. Im not saying hes not worth it but he needs to be more provin he hasnt had the opportunity to do so.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we know about as much as you do about him. We have seen him in clean up duty, a couple preseason games and the pats game. So not much insight.

Not a great athlete and doesnt throw a great deep ball but good at check down dump off passes. More Matt Cassell than Aaron Rodgers.

OP
OP
The Jerm

The Jerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we know about as much as you do about him. We have seen him in clean up duty, a couple preseason games and the pats game. So not much insight.

Not a great athlete and doesnt throw a great deep ball but good at check down dump off passes. More Matt Cassell than Aaron Rodgers.

I seriously doubt Jim and Trent want a deep pass QB for the offense that Jim will be running. We'll do more WCO routes since Gore is a great HB. So you guys don't seem that hyped up on him. Well looks like we'll be more hard bound for Josh Johnson instead but I wouldn't mind if we got Matt Flynn.

I think us 49er fans can believe in a QB that Jim Harbaugh gets because he sure knows what to look for in them, When he was with the Raiders as there QB coach he wrote scouting reports for QB's and he scouted Garrard, Harrington and Romo and got all 3 right. (Called Romo a 2nd round grade, Harrington a 7th/undrafted grade and Garrard a 3rd/4th round grade).

Thanks for the input.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I seriously doubt Jim and Trent want a deep pass QB for the offense that Jim will be running. We'll do more WCO routes since Gore is a great HB. So you guys don't seem that hyped up on him. Well looks like we'll be more hard bound for Josh Johnson instead but I wouldn't mind if we got Matt Flynn.

I think us 49er fans can believe in a QB that Jim Harbaugh gets because he sure knows what to look for in them, When he was with the Raiders as there QB coach he wrote scouting reports for QB's and he scouted Garrard, Harrington and Romo and got all 3 right. (Called Romo a 2nd round grade, Harrington a 7th/undrafted grade and Garrard a 3rd/4th round grade).

Thanks for the input.

wow didnt know that. Harrington should have been undrafted.

Did you like Singletary?

OP
OP
The Jerm

The Jerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow didnt know that. Harrington should have been undrafted.

Did you like Singletary?

Well I liked his last name rhymed with *********** (What I was calling him the last year and 1/2) When he was hired as the full time HC, I didn't like the hire because from my point of view it was Mike Martz who made him look so good. He had no game planning experince. He had no X's n O's experince and yet he still tried to tell the OC how to run the offense. He wanted the team the play exactly like his 1985 bears.

His philosiphy was outdated so bad and we made 0 Halftime adjustments. Every run play was from 1-2 formations and it was always up the middle. Playing against the bucs the bucs players said and quote "We knew what play they would run every time before they snapped the ball". We lost 21-0 to them and the offense sputtered horribly. Also when he was HC he stated the dumbest quote of his time "The QB position is not hte most important position on a team/offense".

Harbaugh stated when he was hired "The QB IS the most important position on the team". Harbaughs play book is 350 pages.

Mastery of Xs and Os. Huard: "One of his graduate assistants is a guy I played with in Indy, Aaron Morehead the receiver. He said that they were doing things at the college level that a) you never imagined you could do at the NFL level and b) his depth of knowledge on Xs and Os is incredible." A rival college coach told Huard his team studied Stanford's running game and charted running plays from 30 different personnel groups and formations.
Alot of people aren't sure why us 49er fans can be excited about this hire. That quote pretty much sums it up. He can run a explosive offense and knows how to adjust to teams. :happy0005:

OP
OP
The Jerm

The Jerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cassell's line has been abysmal in this game too.

He had a great year, but with Weis leaving after this season I think it got to Cassell's head because next season he'll have to listen to a new OC. Weis is a punk for leaving to college. I dunno why he has a big love for it, and he's not even gonna be a HC there.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had a great year, but with Weis leaving after this season I think it got to Cassell's head because next season he'll have to listen to a new OC. Weis is a punk for leaving to college. I dunno why he has a big love for it, and he's not even gonna be a HC there.

Its weird bc he could have got a HC job in 3 years if he worked wonders with KC as he was doing.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Matt Schuab trade as what I would expect to get, or at least in that ballpark

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My take:
TT, but specially MM, they value experienced QBs in their system. I think a 3rd rounder would do it, but the Packers are a passing offense. Rodgers is a horse, but Flynn is the OLNY guy that can come in and not completely cost us a game.

Flynn doesn't have a good enough arm to be an elite QB. But he's incredibly smart guy, has a great grasp of the playbook and of opposing offenses. Flynn is a great WCO quarterback. He's not special like Rodgers, but he's great, and he's a winner. He won the BSC championship in 07 leading LSU.

I honestly think, in the NFCW, with Flynn, you would be winning the division. I'm not sure he's enough for a deep playoff run, though.

But he's better than Alex and Troy Smith, that's for sure. He's also better than Cassel IMHO, better than what the Panthers, Cincinatti, Vikings, Seahawks, Cardinals have...

packerswin96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Rodgers and his concussions, I can not see TT trading Flynn at all, except maybe for a high 1st and 2nd rounder. I think Green Bay even franchises Flynn if they have to, ala Patriots with Cassel.

OP
OP
The Jerm

The Jerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i thought troy smith was decent

No, His completion rating was less than 40% every game after his good games vs the Rams (2nd start after first start vs Broncos in London). After those 2 games it went down hill. He's not worth an investman to start at QB as a franchise QB. I am very interested in Matt Flynn for Harbaugh to groom as a franchise QB.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

One thing we know

Ted and Mike liked him so good they let go of a 2nd rd q.b

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts