49er Game-- Winners and Losers

Status
Not open for further replies.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if it really does help, if I was a referee Id start giving the benefit of the doubt to the opposing team, assuming their Coach is more reasonable. Personally Im surprised that guys like him and Rex Ryan don't get thrown out of games for their antics.
If you have a specific point you want to tell them I see it helping. Being a lunatic on the other hand seems classless and pointless. I am sure someone on the 49ers pinpointed something with Sitton and told the refs to watch it. A few years ago someone told them to watch Jordy on a pushoff and it got called a lot in that game.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if it really does help, if I was a referee Id start giving the benefit of the doubt to the opposing team, assuming their Coach is more reasonable. Personally Im surprised that guys like him and Rex Ryan don't get thrown out of games for their antics.

I disagree, I think Harbaugh intentionally bullies the refs knowing eventually he'll get at least a couple calls his way knowing the refs will have a little more doubt in their minds when deciding when to throw flags or not. It's a whole other level of gamesmanship.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Staley had him by the face mask first, your argument holds NO weight. I guess you were on the field and heard what was said too? Yeah, thought so.

Also, I guess you have no rebutle to the fact that clay was held 6 times that I personally watched by rewinding my DVR.....how do the refs miss all 6 ? Oh-yeah, same way the missed the proper double dead ball foul call.

Know the rules and make sure your red glasses are off before coming on here to spout off. You don't see any of us on your site.
I didn't see any facemask, Staley had Clay by the shoulders. He did however Jaw off, and I assume that was the penalty on Staley.

If all you saw was 6 holds on Matthews you missed a lot. Guys out of the play were getting blindsided, and I'm sure our DL have sore necks from their OL smashing our helmets into our shoulders. Absolutely nothing got called in the secondary.

This is my site...

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Like I said, that is what I saw, being focused on one guy, I am sure that there were a TON more that didn't get called.....hell, my 11 year old son saw a cut block that got a no call and an illegal block in the back....if he can see it, why cant a zebra? lol

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I also just noticed something about your post that lets me know you should study up a bit before posting that. No matter how many fouls did or did not occur on clay, you cannot compound penalties. You get to choose one or the other, not add them up.

Plus you are WRONG again. It was 3rd down and 8 yards to go, Kap ran for 6 yards, fight ensued with double dead ball fouls, which DOES NOT constitute a replay of 3rd down because double dead ball fouls are NOT offsetting penalties. It SHOULD HAVE gone to 4th down and 2 yards to go. Being that early on in the game, SF would have kicked a FG....but instead due to stupid refs who dont know their own damn rules, you guys got 4 free points......which changed the tide of the game imo.
Doesn't change the fact there should have been a second penalty on Clay for grabbing the facemask.

When did we get 4 free points? Rodgers had to scrap for every point we got!

OP
OP

12theTruth

You always know when you see the back of your CB or S players jersey its a bad thing. I saw 22 an awful lot yesterday. :(

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
If anything the biggest winner is probably Matthews. At least there is someone on defense that plays with some passion and aggression. It's something that hopefully we can look forward to seeing as the season progresses. Maybe just in bounds next time.

Even though we were penalized. I loved that little sideline scuffle. I think it's about time we start to shake this finesse defense moniker we've been carrying around. Whether that was the intention or not, I love the intensity.

If MM would learn to speak up to the refs it would greatly help the penalty situation. You don't have to be harbaugh *****ing like a madman on every play but before the game or the half you can say watch this guy for holding clay or watch this guy with the cheap shot chip blocking. There is no reason he can't do that.

There is no reason our players can't either. There is no rules that says our players can't talk to the refs about opposing players doing this or that.

Ness

Cheesehead
Reaction score
enjoy your ignorance than, Are you on drugs? I'm sure Staely's form would have been great for ON THE FIELD DURING PLAY, except the problem is he was on the packer sideline out of bounds, "Locking up" a player after the play, out of bounds of play.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/penaltysummaries

almsot towards the end, Unsportsmanlike conduct is listed, I'm not sure if your just trolling or if you went full retard, never go full retard. Maybe if Staley had "Locked Him up" in bounds your QB wouldnt have gotten hit.

If your malformed brain requires more examples here you go:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/mike-pereira-week-1-live-calls-090813
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-whats-legal-whats-not-whats-just-plain-dirty
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/22448441-419/nfl-week-1-breakdown.html

Had Clay Matthews run onto the 49ers sidelines, and Grabbed Anquan Boldin in between plays by the shoulder pads and held him there do you think they would have called a foul? are you so ignorant as to be blind to obvious circumstance?

Was what Clay Matthews did right?? NOO!!! was it a penatly?? YES!!!! was what joe staley did a penalty?? YES!!!! its the letter of the NFL RULE, if you want to join packer fans in overturning NFL rules than join i welcome you to join us!! you must forget that you are talking to the fan base that went through the Seattle "Fail Mary".

Now had you said "Clay matthews foul was more significant than Joe Staely's foul" I would agree with you, except I dont write the NFL rule book.
From the horse's mouth.

But the NFL on Monday stated that 49ers left tackle Joe Staley’s actions after rushing over to protect Colin Kaepernick did not warrant an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

“After reviewing the play, Vice President of Officiating Dean Blandino determined that Joe Staley should not have been penalized,” an NFL spokesman said in a statement.

So the 49ers should have been awarded a first-and-goal at the Packers 3-yard line after Packers outside linebacker Clay Matthews illegally hit Kaepernick after he stepped out of bounds at the 6-yard line.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/nfl-staley-should-not-have-been-penalized

You're done.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Were these the same people who after reviewing the tape said that the call made in Seattle was the correct one? I take very little stock in what he says, the NFL ultimately looks out for themselves and almost always defends their referees. This was basically a "well our refs messed up on a ruling but we could bail them out by saying it should have never gotten to that point that way it looks like our refs did not effect the outcome of the game."

Can we say for sure that what Staley did was a penalty, no; but at the same time can we say for sure what he did was not a penalty, no. We can say for sure that based on the ruling the refs did mess up by giving the 9ers a second chance. Now I am not saying that blown ruling cost us the game (the 9ers still had a better chance of winning even if you had settled for a FG) but at the same time I cannot say for certain that it did not effect the outcome of what was a very close game.

If you 9er fans want to come in and defend your players on the play that's very justifiable but don't act like you didn't get the better end of the ruling.

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Were these the same people who after reviewing the tape said that the call made in Seattle was the correct one? I take very little stock in what he says, the NFL ultimately looks out for themselves and almost always defends their referees. This was basically a "well our refs messed up on a ruling but we could bail them out by saying it should have never gotten to that point that way it looks like our refs did not effect the outcome of the game."

Can we say for sure that what Staley did was a penalty, no; but at the same time can we say for sure what he did was not a penalty, no. We can say for sure that based on the ruling the refs did mess up by giving the 9ers a second chance. Now I am not saying that blown ruling cost us the game (the 9ers still had a better chance of winning even if you had settled for a FG) but at the same time I cannot say for certain that it did not effect the outcome of what was a very close game.

If you 9er fans want to come in and defend your players on the play that's very justifiable but don't act like you didn't get the better end of the ruling.

What on earth are you talking about?

If anything, the Packers should have been penalized TWICE (late hit and two "punches") and Clay possibly ejected. He also could very easily have been called for taunting later in the game that would have been ANOTHER 1st and goal. What would have been total BS is if the Niners HADN'T scored on that 3rd down play when it SHOULD have been 1st and goal.

What you SHOULD be is HAPPY that the Packers 49ers only got a do-over of 3rd down when they should have had 4 downs from the 3. This was caused by a stupid late hit penalty by a star player. If he'd never made the late hit, this would ALL be moot.

Look...the Packers lost. I know it smarts, but it's three in a row now. Its not the refs ******** you. Its a very good team you are playing.

Oh BTW....

Chris Biderman‏@ChrisBiderman3m
Harbaugh said he would have gone for it on 4th-and-1 on the play following the scuffle involving Mathews and Staley had it not been reset.

Last edited:

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ummmm... no. These are the same people who said it should have been pass interference against Seattle.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What on earth are you talking about?

If anything, the Packers should have been penalized TWICE (late hit and two "punches") and Clay possibly ejected. He also could very easily have been called for taunting later in the game that would have been ANOTHER 1st and goal. What would have been total BS is if the Niners HADN'T scored on that 3rd down play when it SHOULD have been 1st and goal.

What you SHOULD be is HAPPY that the Packers 49ers only got a do-over of 3rd down when they should have had 4 downs from the 3. This was caused by a stupid late hit penalty by a star player. If he'd never made the late hit, this would ALL be moot.

Look...the Packers lost. I know it smarts, but it's three in a row now. Its not the refs ******** you. Its a very good team you are playing.

Oh BTW....

Chris Biderman‏@ChrisBiderman3m
Harbaugh said he would have gone for it on 4th-and-1 on the play following the scuffle involving Mathews and Staley had it not been reset.

Idk what your definition of a punch is but that was Matthews trying to shove Staley off of him, I didn't see a closed fist looking like a punch anywhere when I looked at the replay, he hit his facemask but they were not punches no matter how many times you say they are. And you can bring up calls throughout the game that should have been blown in your opinion just like a fan of any team could after the game is done. The NFL has very grey rules most of them are ultimately up to interpretation so you can't complain if a couple of the calls didn't go your way in your eyes, I've always said it is similar to arguing balls and strikes in baseball.

Based on the ruling on the field though the refs got it wrong plain and simple, it didn't screw us out of a victory for sure, I never said it did all I said was there a small chance that it did effect the outcome of the game and i don't see how that could be argued. The reason i am posting is not because I thought it screwed us out of a victory, the reason I am posting is because 9ers fans are trying to defend the blown call and i really don't see how you can defend that call.

I don't blame the refs for this lose I place it on our secondary and defensive scheme in the secondary. You are a very good team and I walked away from that game feeling pretty good about this years Packers team because we did very well against a very good team on the road, but you did get the better outcome on that call whether it effected the outcome of the game or not.

Last edited:
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

we were beaten fair and square. we can try to talk it down, but we were beaten. bring on the redskins.

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Idk what your definition of a punch is but that was Matthews trying to shove Staley off of him, I didn't see a closed fist looking like a punch anywhere when I looked at the replay, he hit his facemask but they were not punches no matter how many times you say they are. And you can bring up calls throughout the game that should have been blown in your opinion just like a fan of any team could after the game is done. The NFL has very grey rules most of them are ultimately up to interpretation so you can't complain if a couple of the calls didn't go your way in your eyes, I've always said it is similar to arguing balls and strikes in baseball.

Based on the ruling on the field though the refs got it wrong plain and simple, it didn't screw us out of a victory for sure, I never said it did all I said was there a small chance that it did effect the outcome of the game and i don't see how that could be argued. The reason i am posting is not because I thought it screwed us out of a victory, the reason I am posting is because 9ers fans are trying to defend the blown call and i really don't see how you can defend that call.

I don't blame the refs for this lose I place it on our secondary and defensive scheme in the secondary. You are a very good team and I walked away from that game feeling pretty good about this years Packers team because we did very well against a very good team on the road, but you did get the better outcome on that call whether it effected the outcome of the game or not.

As per the vice president of NFL officiating, Joe Staley should not have been flagged. It should have been first and goal on the three, so the 49ers are the ones who got screwed on that call.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which is true. A simultaneous catch goes to the offense, period. But they acknowledged that the RIGHT call would have been pass interference against Seattle.

Ok but in the call that everyone wanted to know about, was it a catch or int, they supported their refs like they always do.

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok but in the call that everyone wanted to know about, was it a catch or int, they supported their refs like they always do.

I'm talking about the call everyone wanted to know about. It was offensive pass interference against Seattle. They called out their own refs publicly for failing to call it.

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score

...then we are on the same page.

The call was blown. I don't know if any fan that would say that making it 3rd down over 4th down was the correct call. The NFL has ruled that it was a blown call. End of story there.

The NFL has now ALSO come out and said that Staley shouldn't have been called in the first place...so that would have made it a 1st and goal.

More than anything else what I'm arguing is the notion that the 49ers were "gifted" a win. Your point about calls throughout the game is exactly spot on. I only mentioned the calls to show that it wasn't the one-sided ref screw up that some make it out to be. Why wasn't taunting called on Matthews? What was up with the Personal Foul on Bowman on the sideline? It goes both ways is my point.

It was a GREAT game. I'd have thought that win or lose....I just don't like that THAT play is getting so much attention because it was really small in the big picture.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
We don't know if Staley was flagged for something he said. Yes Clay should have been flagged twice, but as has been pointed out earlier, one player cannot be penalized twice on the same play (forget how the terminology says it, but that's essentially the case). Either way I'm not too broken up about the call, there were plenty of non calls I was far more upset about.

Clay's hit was cheap, but he should not, and will not be penalized for it. Plenty of other players have done far more dangerous and started bigger brawls and gotten nothing for it. And I'm just talking the last 3 years.

Harbaugh is still a child, and always has been. A pouty, whiny child who hides behind his team. He was the same way as a college player, as an NFL player, as a college coach, and now as an NFL coach. I respect his accomplishments and ability, but not him as an individual. I might even go so far as to call him a coward some days.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score

It was a GREAT game. I'd have thought that win or lose....I just don't like that THAT play is getting so much attention because it was really small in the big picture.

Totally agreed. Sunday's game was exactly why I love the NFL. It's a great product.

The 49ers are clearly one of the best teams this year, if not THE best. The path to the SB in the NFC runs through them, until some team shows otherwise.

Everyone seems focused on a play that really didn't change anything. It was a good game. IMO, the 49ers were the better team and got the win. But, the Packers had a very good chance at stealing the victory. When they went up four points in the 4th quarter, I was thinking, "How in the hell is GB up despite two turnovers and getting Boldin-ed all day long?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts