49er Game-- Winners and Losers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
McCarthy is a loser in this game for 2 reasons:

1) obviously for taking the penalty instead of making it 4th and 1.

2) for not knowing the rule that offsetting penalties on a dead ball means the down does not get replayed. McCarthy admitted after the game he didn't know the rule:

"When asked if he was aware of the mistake, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said, "Yes. I mean, I'm aware of it now.""
I'd have to disagree with #2, while I believe if McCarthy did say something Harbaugh would whine, cry, and yell intimidating the refs and ultimately it'd be played, better let the mistake happen than deal with this guy for the remainder of the game.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Winners:

Morgan Burnett: Job security, he was missed today

Johnny Jolly - Great to have you back - you were missed

Bahtkairi - Did really well. First pro game against probowl talent - and he did excellent! I saw 2 or 3 plays where he got beat, but he hung in there and is a big upgrade over last season.

Losers:

MM - poor offensive play calling (is he doing it or is the OC?) Too predictable calling a run on first down when Lacy is in there. Mix it up!

Secondary - they let us down today.

--------------------------------------------------

Heads up, Packer fans. The Packers played pretty good. They hung in there and played a team widely considered the best in the NFL, and nearly came away with a win. The loss can be attributed to a play or two. Finley bobbling a pass that is intercepted; the Lacy fumble; and the CM3 WTF hit. Conversely, we didn't get a single 'lucky bounce' all evening. We get back Burnett and Hayward back, our secondary will be significantly better.

No need to panic.

OP
OP

12theTruth

I must have seen a different game than you. Offensive Line Penalties sabatoged several gains by the Packers. You can't fault that directly on McCarthy's play calling. The Packers did suffer too many 3 and outs, but the offensive line and the running game was stuffed except for a couple of nice gains by Lacy in the 3rd quarter. Not being able to run effectively puts more pressure on Aaron Rodgers and that isn't necessarily a good thing with a shaky offensive line. That is what I see as the reason for the struggles. I thought McCarthy actually did a good job overall. Capers lack of adjustments killed our chances of winning.

randp1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like keeping Charles Woodson would have been worth the money.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

bobgodd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With regards to the holding penalties: it is my understanding that a lineman may hold the defender inside on the pads, however I believe that defender has to be allowed to disengage and turn for the sake of making a play. In the case of Justin Smith, I saw the runs go right in his gap and he's trying to turn to make a play and is being held from turning and running. Again, my understanding is that is a hold.

OP
OP

12theTruth

49ers had about double the penalty yardage the Packers did but there were about 6 or 8 aggregious
Looks like keeping Charles Woodson would have been worth the money.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

Even though Woodson a step slow, he would provide much better play awareness out there. McMillian and Co., were reactive to a tremendous fault. Good safety play is provided when they notice tendencies and can at times diagnose a play. Those guys were lost on an island out there. I feel bad for d line as they played their tail off only to be sabotaged by abysmal safety play.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I thought in all McCarthy did a nice job of calling plays. He's limited by two basically rookie tackles, one an actual rookie and the other with 4 games of starting experience. His center is undersized and also a liability in the running game. The 49ers are a GREAT short yardage running team and likely would have went for it on 4th and 1. Moving them back wasn't a horrible decision it was a 50/50 decision that has pros and cons.

If you want to be mad at anyone, its Matthews who bailed out the 49ers with his dufus late hit (thankfully for Matthews a 49er retaliated getting him off the hook). Alas the refs made the ultimate gaffe by giving the 49ers an extra down and basically a FREE 4 points.

You hate on McCarthy all you want but a good probability of the 49ers with 1st and Goal inside the 5 may have occurred if McCarthy declined the penalty and set up a 4th and short.
They converted on 4th and 2, what makes 4th and 1 any different?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
With regards to the holding penalties: it is my understanding that a lineman may hold the defender inside on the pads, however I believe that defender has to be allowed to disengage and turn for the sake of making a play. In the case of Justin Smith, I saw the runs go right in his gap and he's trying to turn to make a play and is being held from turning and running. Again, my understanding is that is a hold.
It was a hold because Sitton had him by the top of the shoulder by just the jersey. Had that been # there'd be no flag

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
49ers had about double the penalty yardage the Packers did but there were about 6 or 8 aggregious

Even though Woodson a step slow, he would provide much better play awareness out there. McMillian and Co., were reactive to a tremendous fault. Good safety play is provided when they notice tendencies and can at times diagnose a play. Those guys were lost on an island out there. I feel bad for d line as they played their tail off only to be sabotaged by abysmal safety play.
We must not remember the same Woodson. The Woodson I saw last year in the playoffs was every bit the liability those two were out there. He may have been more "instinctive" but those instincts were failing him big time.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Winners:

Morgan Burnett: Job security, he was missed today

Johnny Jolly - Great to have you back - you were missed

Bahtkairi - Did really well. First pro game against probowl talent - and he did excellent! I saw 2 or 3 plays where he got beat, but he hung in there and is a big upgrade over last season.

Losers:

MM - poor offensive play calling (is he doing it or is the OC?) Too predictable calling a run on first down when Lacy is in there. Mix it up!

Secondary - they let us down today.

--------------------------------------------------

Heads up, Packer fans. The Packers played pretty good. They hung in there and played a team widely considered the best in the NFL, and nearly came away with a win. The loss can be attributed to a play or two. Finley bobbling a pass that is intercepted; the Lacy fumble; and the CM3 WTF hit. Conversely, we didn't get a single 'lucky bounce' all evening. We get back Burnett and Hayward back, our secondary will be significantly better.

No need to panic.
MM had to run Lacy smack into Justin Smith to slow down Aldon. Bakhtiari needed a ton of help and MM made sure he got it. I had no problems with the offense calls sans a few seemingly boneheaded plays. If anything, I'd have liked to see Lacy get a few more touches, but we had to feed Rodgers to stay in it.

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it's really fair to praise the run D and at the same time be critical of the pass D. I think they are connected. It was pretty clear that the defensive scheme sacrificed some coverage ability in order to stop the running game. The corners were coming up like gangbusters. Also if you rewatch the game, The Packer defenders would never run past the pocket. Once they got behind the QB, they'd stop and move back down to shut down running lanes. This did prevent Kaep from running wild, but it also gave Kaep more time in the pocket and exposed the safeties.

I give Capers credit for building a scheme to prevent what happened in January from happeneing. again. He forced Kaepernick to beat you from the pocket. Unfortunately, he';s capable of doing that.

Great game tho guys. What a way to start the season!!

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I'd have to disagree with #2, while I believe if McCarthy did say something Harbaugh would whine, cry, and yell intimidating the refs and ultimately it'd be played, better let the mistake happen than deal with this guy for the remainder of the game.
MM really should have made a bigger stink about the uncalled 9ers penalties. Lord knows the refs heard about ours. So many shots from behind, and Daniels nearly had his helmet ripped off twice. The refs called nothing either way in the secondary.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I don't think it's really fair to praise the run D and at the same time be critical of the pass D. I think they are connected. It was pretty clear that the defensive scheme sacrificed some coverage ability in order to stop the running game. The corners were coming up like gangbusters. Also if you rewatch the game, The Packer defenders would never run past the pocket. Once they got behind the QB, they'd stop and move back down to shut down running lanes. This did prevent Kaep from running wild, but it also gave Kaep more time in the pocket and exposed the safeties.

I give Capers credit for building a scheme to prevent what happened in January from happeneing. again. He forced Kaepernick to beat you from the pocket. Unfortunately, he';s capable of doing that.

Great game tho guys. What a way to start the season!!
I give our players tons of credit for stopping Gore while containing Kaep, but that zone scheme needs to be ripped out of the playbook, and the Safeties need to be used according to their strengths. Almost looked like Capers confused the two. McMillian should be trolling the LOS, and Jennings should have been deep.

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for the rash of holding penalties? The refs watched the same initial ineptitude that we did with the Packer run game. Their reaction to Lacy finally ripping off a good run was "Holy $h!+ that had to be holding!" The flags flew and Sitton was tagged on every big run! ;)

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was a moral victory for the Pack. They showed resiliency and toughness that wasn't there in years past. I thought the OL played very well (considering I had little hope we'd establish a run game and was more concerned about the pass-pro). Think about it - we didn't have to keep extra blockers in on pass plays to help our tackles and this is against arguably the best front-seven in the game! To me, that's huge, despite not getting any traction in the run game. And, obviously, shutting down the fourth best rushing attack from last year was great to see. As people have said, we were doomed by the two costly turnovers and a really poor return game that kept putting us in bad field position to start drives.

Read more here for the full breakdown: http://wp.me/p29VCs-iC

Also, do people buy the post-game comments that suggest the passing success was due, in part, to the game plan designed to stop the read-option? They wouldn't let Williams man-up against Boldin because it would go against their game plan. And, obviously, the pass rush was controlled to contain Kaep - which was the biggest downfall in the playoffs last season. So, Kaep had plenty of time throughout the game. I tend to disagree with this and think it had more to do with our safeties and Hyde (he looked nothing like he did in the preseason).

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Did anybody else notice that we missed more than a few sacks/TFLs because our players lost their footing?

Ness

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And then your punk OL came over and lost his cool. Should have cost you guys a down and you'd have kicked a FG instead of getting a TD. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
LOL the hell? Staley was clearly holding Matthews by his shoulder pads. He locked himself up with him. That's all he did. He shouldn't have been flagged on the play. Matthews was the moron that threw two punches to Staley's face.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
LOL the hell? Staley was clearly holding Matthews by his shoulder pads. He locked himself up with him. That's all he did. He shouldn't have been flagged on the play. Matthews was the moron that threw two punches to Staley's face.

trying to put a moron in his place is no reason to act like a moron.

Ness

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trying to put a moron in his place is no reason to act like a moron.
Except Staley did nothing that should have resulted in the flag. He didn't make a stupid gesture on that play, unlike Matthews that should have gotten him ejected from the game. So your comment doesn't make sense.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
Except Staley did nothing that should have resulted in the flag. He didn't make a stupid gesture on that play, unlike Matthews that should have gotten him ejected from the game. So your comment doesn't make sense.

Do you seriously think than your offensive line man can run into the sidelines and push and get physical with a player of the other team regardless of the circumstances? Have you been watching the NFL since Roger Goddell was instated as Commissioner?

if you answered yes to either of these questions and still feel the same way feel free to put your head into a wood chipper.

no i geuss your right, offensive line man follow defensive players all the way out of bounds and initiate a skirmish with them on every down nothing to see here. Was Joe Staley right to protect his QB? Yes!! was he a moron for doing it against the rules of the NFL Yes!!! did it hurt the 49ers?? no!!!

Last edited:

Ness

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you seriously think than your offensive line man can run into the sidelines and push and get physical with a player of the other team regardless of the circumstances? Have you been watching the NFL since Roger Goddell was instated as Commissioner?

if you answered yes to either of these questions and still feel the same way feel free to put your head into a wood chipper.

no i geuss your right, offensive line man follow defensive players all the way out of bounds and initiate a skirmish with them on every down nothing to see here. Was Joe Staley right to protect his QB? Yes!! was he a moron for doing it against the rules of the NFL Yes!!! did it hurt the 49ers?? no!!!
Newsflash, but the game gets chippy. That being said there is still a fine line between what constitutes as a penalty or not. Matthews threw two punches. End of the story. Staley did nothing but hold on to Matthews shoulder pads. That's the equivalent of getting in someone's face after a play. Harbaugh said after in the game in his presser they teach that to their linemen for a reason. Lock em up. And that is what Staley did. It was just a goof by the officials that he got flagged. This has happened before the in the past. It's not illegal, nor should it warrant a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct. Please show me the rule where this is illegal? Especially in retaliation. Hahaha this is going to be good.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
Newsflash, but the game gets chippy. That being said there is still a fine line between what constitutes as a penalty or not. Matthews threw two punches. End of the story. Staley did nothing but hold on to Matthews shoulder pads. That's the equivalent of getting in someone's face after a play. Harbaugh said after in the game in his presser they teach that to their linemen for a reason. Lock em up. And that is what Staley did. It was just a goof by the officials that he got flagged. This has happened before the in the past. It's not illegal, nor should it warrant a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct. Please show me the rule where this is illegal? Especially in retaliation. Hahaha this is going to be good.

enjoy your ignorance than, Are you on drugs? I'm sure Staely's form would have been great for ON THE FIELD DURING PLAY, except the problem is he was on the packer sideline out of bounds, "Locking up" a player after the play, out of bounds of play.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/penaltysummaries

almsot towards the end, Unsportsmanlike conduct is listed, I'm not sure if your just trolling or if you went full retard, never go full retard. Maybe if Staley had "Locked Him up" in bounds your QB wouldnt have gotten hit.

If your malformed brain requires more examples here you go:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/mike-pereira-week-1-live-calls-090813
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-whats-legal-whats-not-whats-just-plain-dirty
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/22448441-419/nfl-week-1-breakdown.html

Had Clay Matthews run onto the 49ers sidelines, and Grabbed Anquan Boldin in between plays by the shoulder pads and held him there do you think they would have called a foul? are you so ignorant as to be blind to obvious circumstance?

Was what Clay Matthews did right?? NOO!!! was it a penatly?? YES!!!! was what joe staley did a penalty?? YES!!!! its the letter of the NFL RULE, if you want to join packer fans in overturning NFL rules than join i welcome you to join us!! you must forget that you are talking to the fan base that went through the Seattle "Fail Mary".

Now had you said "Clay matthews foul was more significant than Joe Staely's foul" I would agree with you, except I dont write the NFL rule book.

Last edited:
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

He's the greatest quaterback to have ever played the game in the history of football.
I did ask you not to make me do this, but.....
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts