49er Fan Calls Packer Stock Sale a "Sham"

PeteyNice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see a significant difference between a share in the Packers and a share in any other non-dividend paying corporation.

Let's say I buy a share of Google. They pay no dividends. I don't get a free Android phone or better search results. I get invited to a yearly shareholders meeting where my one share (out of more then 320 million) has almost no say.

While the rules may prohibit it, I can turn around and sell my Packers stock on eBay (or whatever) for the price a buyer is willing to pay. Just like I can sell my share of Google on its market. If I fill out a change of address with the Packers, the new buyer gets the same benefits as any other share holder.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
It still is amazing me how all the other teams with owners call the stock thing a sham. WE KNOW EXACTLY WHAT WE ARE GETTING!

Deal with it.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's this guy's stance on ignorance to the law? "I didn't know that I couldn't walk on a redlight, officer! The legal systems a sham!"

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Good post Eric87, except for:
3. Most "traditional" or "common" stock is a scam. It used to be that people primarily bought stock for the dividends. If you own a piece of a for-profit company, you ought to share in the profits, right? Slowly, more and more regular folks got into the stock market and bought stock for the potential appreciation of the stock. Now most publicly traded companies don't offer dividends, because people will line up to give them money to gamble on their future growth. That's kind of messed up.

Most common stocks are not a scam. And here’s a quote from a June, 2011 article:
A review of the S&P 500 reveals that 78 percent of its components are currently paying a dividend, with an average yield of 2.28 percent…
LINK

For investors looking for income, compare that dividend rate to the rate on 10-year Treasuries or (yikes) the rate on 5-year Treasuries. IMO three of four good points though.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I am a Packer Fan. I supported my team buy buying stock. The Team needed money to stay competitive. I wanted a share of stock. Win Win. End of story.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While the rules may prohibit it, I can turn around and sell my Packers stock on eBay (or whatever) for the price a buyer is willing to pay. Just like I can sell my share of Google on its market. If I fill out a change of address with the Packers, the new buyer gets the same benefits as any other share holder.

Q If I purchase shares of Common Stock, will I be able to resell or transfer the shares to other people?
A No. You cannot sell, assign or otherwise transfer shares of Common Stock to a third party, except that you may transfer shares to an “immediate family” member by gift or in the event of death. “Immediate family” is defined as the spouse, children, mother, father, brothers, sisters, or any lineal descendent of a shareholder.

I think other than above shares revert back to the Packers.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This matt guy believed a jerry_jones when he said he bought 240 shares in hopes to own a winner and make money

The matt guy said ty for proving my point it is a sham...

What a noodle

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This matt guy believed a jerry_jones when he said he bought 240 shares in hopes to own a winner and make money

The matt guy said ty for proving my point it is a sham...

What a noodle
He never heard of jerry jones? I don't think this guy is familiar with football. Maybe he is a stock broker and thats why he doesn't get it.

PeteyNice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Q If I purchase shares of Common Stock, will I be able to resell or transfer the shares to other people?
A No. You cannot sell, assign or otherwise transfer shares of Common Stock to a third party, except that you may transfer shares to an “immediate family” member by gift or in the event of death. “Immediate family” is defined as the spouse, children, mother, father, brothers, sisters, or any lineal descendent of a shareholder.

I think other than above shares revert back to the Packers.

That is the theory. But then there is this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-Origin...ll_Fan_Shop&hash=item1e69260f22#ht_500wt_1077

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don Hutson > Jerry Rice
Bart Starr > Joe Montana
Aaron Rodgers > Steve Young
Reggie White > any 49ers defender

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Then there is this. Read what this seller says. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Packer...3?pt=US_Football_Fan_Shop&hash=item4ab1b11987

So you want to buy a Packer stock certificate with someone else's name on it? :roflmao: Good luck on getting that transfer. Someone is working a scam here.

PeteyNice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then there is this. Read what this seller says. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Packer...3?pt=US_Football_Fan_Shop&hash=item4ab1b11987

So you want to buy a Packer stock certificate with someone else's name on it? Good luck on getting that transfer. Someone is working a scam here. :roflmao:

It is not a big deal to have the address on file changed. With that you get all of the tangible benefits. Someone clearly wants it since it is going for more than buying one directly from the Packers would cost and still has a day left.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is not a big deal to have the address on file changed. With that you get all of the tangible benefits. Someone clearly wants it since it is going for more than buying one directly from the Packers would cost and still has a day left.
You can change the address but not the name of the ownership. Someone is buying a certificate unknowling or is content on having it with anothers name.

btw, I'm reporting this to ebay.

PeteyNice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can change the address but not the name of the ownership. Someone is buying a certificate unknowling or is content on having it with anothers name.

btw, I'm reporting this to ebay.

That auction ended at $670. Even after eBay and PayPal fees that is not a bad return.

Members online

Latest posts