43rd anniversary of the "Ice Bowl"...

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My brother was there, and a bunch of fans took a piece of the goalpost across the street where they cut it up into little pieces for each of them. The guy he took it to to have it mounted "lost" it. That guy is burning in hell right now.

Greatest game in Green Bay Packer history during my lifetime. Thanks for bringing it up!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not too much snow around here right now.
Which really sucks because I just started getting into X cntry skiing!

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My brother was there, and a bunch of fans took a piece of the goalpost across the street where they cut it up into little pieces for each of them. The guy he took it to to have it mounted "lost" it. That guy is burning in hell right now.

Greatest game in Green Bay Packer history during my lifetime. Thanks for bringing it up!

LOL...Thanks for bringing it up????? Nightmare. My mom, dad, aunt, uncle, brother, cousin were there. Where was I? Thailand (Air Force), game came on armed forces network at midnight. Other Packer fans and I started pounding Pabst Blue Ribbon's at noon. We all passed out and missed the whole game:(

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
pounding the Pabst... wow!

I want to know more about the 2 fans that died during that game. So bizzare, and tragic.

tragic seems to be the word of the day for me.. so i need to change it up!

Time to start pounding the Pabst baby...were in the playoffs!!! :drinks:

bozo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other Packer fans and I started pounding Pabst Blue Ribbon's at noon. We all passed out and missed the whole game:(
Way to funny LOL...I do that now for 3:15 games...Cudos to the person that invented DVR's!

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wish i could... no snow here in San Antonio Texas... just dried out yellow grass!!

In Phoenix, you don't even get any color of grass. Most people have desert landscaping....just rocks and cacti, they spray paint the rocks green so they think they have a lawn.

Got down to 29 degrees last week, thought I could ice skate on my swimming pool.

OP
OP
OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pounding the Pabst... wow!

I want to know more about the 2 fans that died during that game. So bizzare, and tragic.

tragic seems to be the word of the day for me.. so i need to change it up!

Time to start pounding the Pabst baby...were in the playoffs!!! :drinks:
I was only aware of one older gentleman who suffered a heart attack while in the stands and passed away...of course no one will ever know how many tickers gave out during that last drive!

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I was only aware of one older gentleman who suffered a heart attack while in the stands and passed away...of course no one will ever know how many tickers gave out during that last drive!

wow, thats strange, I could of swore when watching the special on it, it said two.
I thought one was a heart attack and the other was due to the weather.

I googled for at least an hour last night, but couldn't find it.

I'll keep looking and will let ya know!!

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

My dad told me that he was aware of a fan that died during a game at Lambeau and it was just from excitement..had nothing to do with weather. When my mom was in her 70's. she got so excited about Packer games, she would have to take a Nitoglycerin pill (she had a bad heart).

I doubt if any of you saw this in the live broadcast but in 1970 I was living in Chicago and was watch a Bear-Lion game. All of a sudden a Detroit wide reciever drops dead of a heart attack on the field. Enough morbidity.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

My dad told me that he was aware of a fan that died during a game at Lambeau and it was just from excitement..had nothing to do with weather. When my mom was in her 70's. she got so excited about Packer games, she would have to take a Nitoglycerin pill (she had a bad heart).

I doubt if any of you saw this in the live broadcast but in 1970 I was living in Chicago and was watching a Bear-Lion game. All of a sudden a Detroit wide receiver drops dead of a heart attack on the field. Enough morbidity.

Reaction score

I doubt if any of you saw this in the live broadcast but in 1970 I was living in Chicago and was watch a Bear-Lion game. All of a sudden a Detroit wide receiver drops dead of a heart attack on the field. Enough morbidity.

I was a senior in high school while watching that game and no pun intended, I thought I was going to have a heart attack. My Dad, who was a huge Packer fan suffered with high blood pressure and heart disease and passed away at the young age of 54 in April of '66 and he, too, had to rely heavily on Nitroglycerin tablets. I watched that game at my Uncle's house {my Dad's twin brother, also a big GB fan who also had the same heart related ailments} and, ironically, I recall him grabbing the bottle of those white Nitro tablets sitting on a table next to him, shaking it and while looking at me, I will never forget to this day him saying, "well, win or lose, I may have to end up taking this whole bottle followed by more Falstaffs." LOL! He made it through that game, the SB that followed, the next season and SB win, plus 20 more seasons. I will always remember spending that Sunday afternoon with my Uncle and watching the "Ice Bowl," the greatest game ever, imho.

The Lion player who was stricken with a heart attack in the final minutes of the game against the Bears and died on the field was Chuck Hughes. He had ran a pass route, although the pass was thrown to another receiver and he collapsed on his way back to the huddle. It was an obvious serious situation of which many probably thought {as did I} he had suffered an injury on the play. I remember that it was Butkus who immediately signaled to the sidelines for medical attention and Hughes was carted off the field. The game was finished in near silence and afterward, the players were informed that he had passed away. No words to describe such a horrible tragedy. To this day, Chuck Hughes remains the only NFL player ever to die on the field during a game.

GreenGoldAngel

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Terri Haute Cheesehead, nice story. I love that picture with the autographs. I see Bart Starr but his #15 is blocked. I had a winter Packer jacket with white sleeves. Had 23 packer autographs on it. Went to visit my mom, she sees the jacket hanging on a hook and she thinks it's full of dirt. Throws it in the washing machine...bye-bye autographs. I just laughed. If you live in Green Bay, the only way to avoid running into a packer was to stay locked in your house. I spent some time in Terri Haute once....didn't Larry Bird have a big Hotel/motel there?

Reaction score
Terri Haute Cheesehead, nice story. I love that picture with the autographs. I see Bart Starr but his #15 is blocked. I had a winter Packer jacket with white sleeves. Had 23 packer autographs on it. Went to visit my mom, she sees the jacket hanging on a hook and she thinks it's full of dirt. Throws it in the washing machine...bye-bye autographs. I just laughed. If you live in Green Bay, the only way to avoid running into a packer was to stay locked in your house. I spent some time in Terri Haute once....didn't Larry Bird have a big Hotel/motel there?

GreenGoldAngel, here is the link where I found that photo: Green Bay Packers Team Signed Photo From 1966 --... - Autographs, Collectibles and Memorabilia

Yeah, that's a true account of my "Ice Bowl" experience. My Uncle Ed loved his Packers, Falstaffs and Falls Cities. LOL. That jacket sounded awesome! That's too bad. Ah, but yes, our dear Moms, God love them. In the early '80's, my Mom, thinking I had no need for my huge collection of both baseball and football cards which I had began saving since 1955 gave them away to a neighborhood kid. Whew, just brutal! They probably all ended up in bicycle spokes just like I used my crumby cards for. Speaking of jackets, I still continue to keep up the cleaning maintenance on my NFL PRO LINE Logo Athletic jacket/parka and thank God, it still fits me. They came out in the middle '90's or earlier and sold like hot cakes around here. No store could keep them in stock. You remember them? They were green and had black, yellow and white trim on them with a big "N" on one sleeve with green stars inside it. Great looking jacket and WARM! And I may be a little prejudice, but I think ours looked better than any other teams from that style. People still come up to me asking WHERE I bought it and that they really like it. I just can't imagine having the opportunity to see Packer players everywhere you go there. I could never get tired of that. The Colts trained here for many years in a row before going back to Anderson this year and I would see many of their players in and around town, but if you're a Packer fan, it just is not the same. I've always wanted to see a game at Lambeau, or even just visit Green Bay. I've attended many collegiate games in facilities which provided electric atmosphere such as Assembly Hall in Bloomington did during Knight's days as coach of the Hoosiers {back when they were good or at least competitive} and I also got to see Florida State play while in Tallahassee during their championship season in '94 and saw a Notre Dame game in South Bend that same year when Lou Holtz was the coach {the LAST time they were good, as well}. And I've seen a lot of Cubs games at Wrigley where there just is no better place to watch a baseball game, but I would trade all those opportunities I mentioned to see a game at Lambeau Field. What an experience that has to be! Yes, Larry Bird took over either a Ramada Inn or Best Western hotel, bar and restaurant in the middle '80's and renamed it "The Boston Connection." It had a lot of Celtic decor and memorabilia from his days as a player for ISU and his Olympic Gold Medal was displayed in a glass case. Pretty good sports bar. A lot of big names often frequented it. I got to see Kevin McKale, Danny Ainge and Bill Walton with Bird there one evening and also, Al McGuire and Billy Packer on another occasion, but you couldn't get close enough to even sniff out an autograph. I had season tickets at ISU for Bird's senior year and he was a pro among the college ranks. Just a phenomenal player and this city just worshipped him.

ClayMatthews

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Such a classic game, it was setting the bar for Packers football. Playing in the cold and winning a championship.

Members online

Latest posts