Eclipse612

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well first of all I have always been a Packer fan but Favre is my favorite player. A lot of people come on here and blame him for leaving. When he wanted to come back TT and MM should have allowed him to come back and compete for the job. Why would you treat, arguably one of the greatest players of all time, like that?

Wait, I remember those days. TT actually declared that Favre could come back and compete to regain the job they already handed to Rodgers, but BF basically said "I'm not going to go there having a chance to end up being a backup". I'm not expressing a judgment here, just pointing out that Brett, right or wrong, didn't want any competition.

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Wait, I remember those days. TT actually declared that Favre could come back and compete to regain the job they already handed to Rodgers, but BF basically said "I'm not going to go there having a chance to end up being a backup". I'm not expressing a judgment here, just pointing out that Brett, right or wrong, didn't want any competition.

That's not what Favre said...

Eclipse612

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't remember the exact words. I remember that the sense was "I want to come back there and be the starter". TT wouldn't guarantee that spot for him, but said he could compete for the job.

pbateman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember the exact words. I remember that the sense was "I want to come back there and be the starter". TT wouldn't guarantee that spot for him, but said he could compete for the job.

So assuming you are correct, I guess you don't think the organization owed anything to BF and that it was appropriate to make him compete for the job? Especially considering that he had just wrapped up a pretty successful season?

If you feel that way, fine...but please don't question Brett's loyalty when TT and MM didn't show the same to him. No matter how you spin it, the organization owed it to him to bring him back as the starter, at least until he stopped playing effectively.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's true.
You know…. this whole thing was not that long ago and I find it weird that so many people have already forgotten how it all went down.

He retired.
He retired and the Packers went with the guy that they drafted and groomed for the position just like they had planed.
They were right and it was Favre who put them in an awkward position by claiming that he was done, that he "had no more to give" and then deciding that he "might" want to play after all.
There was no debate about Favre being the starter or a back up until he decided that he did not want to retire after all... maybe... I don't know again.... I am gettin the itch...
He was just playing more mind fu*k games and his actions were going to disrupt the team.
They DID disrupt the team.

The Packers had enough of that tired old act and this time that had a QB who was ready to take over. They were no longer at Favre’s mercy and they decided that it was time to move on.
The Packers moved on and they saw not reason to let one player, no matter who he was, dictate to them how the team was going to be run.
Favre retired and the Packers accepted that retirement.
They were right in their decision and based on Aaron Rodgers performance so far I really don't know why Packers fans are *****ing about it.

It is obvious that Brett Favre is not the only drama queen involved in his stupid little show.

OHIOFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I often wonder if many of you guys who hate TT and Rodgers actually watched many game last year or any of the preseason games this year. Rodges played great last year, especially for his first year starting. If the team would have handed Favre his job back (and not offered for him to compete like every other player on the team) then they would be taking a step back. Now that Rodgers is the QB, the team is young and the offence can grow with Rodgers. Favre WAS great, but he is not as good as Rodgers is now. Favre has the experience, Rodgers has the youth, mobility and passion for the game that Favre USED TO have. Watching the preseason games this year it sould be clear to you TT haters that he has built a team that is loaded with talent on both sides of the ball. It is ok to like Favre and even compare him with Rodgers; but don't compare what Favre used to do to what Rodgers can, and does do. I used to cringe every time Favre threw up a lame duck air ball. I mean, it was sick; but Brett did get a little better his last few years with the team. I hope some of you haters get on board soon, or you are going to miss one heck of a season. This team is going to be someting special. They have an explosive offence like the Saints, but now have a strong D. The future is bright NOW, lets not keep looking back and think of what might have been. I know that many remember Favre walking on water and such, but he has cost this team many big games. A few on the top of my mind are playoff games against Philly, St.Louis, Giants,Cowboys, Vikings. I am not trying to bash anyone's hero, just pointing out that he WAS great, but not perfect. The Packers are in good hands with Rodgers and TT.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Packers had enough of that tired old act and this time that had a QB who was ready to take over. They were no longer at Favre’s mercy and they decided that it was time to move on.

To me that's what that was all about.
It is obvious that Brett Favre is not the only drama queen involved in his stupid little show.
Obiuosly not. TT has a huge ego. Between a player drafted by him and anoter one, both with similar abilities, he'll allways choose his own player. This is well documented. This is a common practice between GMs. And he is a GM. It's his job to make decisions off the field. Not the qb's, no matter how good he is, or how much he has given to the franchise. When that line is crossed, things just fall apart.

Rodgersfan1985again

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And plus Arod was goona be a free agent either that year or the next anyway. And I still havnt forgiven favre for that ******** pass against the giants lol. Actually favre goin to the Vikes really helped out the packers

1. We didnt have a 3-4 in GB when favre was here so he doesnt know our D anymore.

2. Every time they play us, the QB with the most INT in the league will be goin against arguably one of the best secondarys in the NFL RIGHT NOW.

3. In the end just like last year Arod is goona OWN brett favre in stats.

and if the kid can find a way to win in the fourth, Packer fans will be forgetting about brett favre and his little circus in no time. TRUST ME!!

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
and plus arod was goona be a free agent either that year or the next anyway. And i still havnt forgiven favre for that ******** pass against the giants lol. Actually favre goin to the vikes really helped out the packers

1. We didnt have a 3-4 in gb when favre was here so he doesnt know our d anymore.

2. Every time they play us, the qb with the most int in the league will be goin against arguably one of the best secondarys in the nfl right now.

3. In the end just like last year arod is goona own brett favre in stats.

And if the kid can find a way to win in the fourth, packer fans will be forgetting about brett favre and his little circus in no time. Trust me!!

big if..................

Rodgersfan1985again

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really "a big if" considering the fact we have a better defense. I really think this defense is goona shut offenses down in the fourth quarter therefore releiveing rodgers a little bit in the fourth. But yeah theres no lie hes goona hafta make a big play in a game to get the win thats how it goes in the NFL. I just dont think we'll let 7 losses by 4 pts or less happen again for a long time.

jkrelt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys aren't real packer fans...

Have we sunk to that level already? Lets not try to polarize all Packer fans into two categories, REAL or FAKE. The whole situation reminds me of the either you are with us or you are with the terrorists George Bush line. (Check out the link for a laugh).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpPABLW6F_A]YouTube - Either you are with us or you are with the terrorists[/ame]

Also, is Favre a traitor? Hell yes he is. But I'm not going to just throw away all the awesome memories I have of the guy's first 17 years all because of his last 3.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Who said that the Packers or Favre was a "tratior"?
Sorry but the fans here just don't take something like this all that seriously.
I could not care less where Mike Ditka works.
Do you think that anyone here gave a damn when Steve McMichael played for the Packers?
It was funny to us that you were suddenly cheering for a player that you hated... just like the Vikings are doing right now with Favre.

It is just football and these players do not want you any where near their home, their expensive car or them personally.
They do not belong to you and to tell you the truth Favre never even liked Green Bay.
He is famous for avoiding Wisconsin until the last minute and high tailing it back to Mississippi as soon as the final gun sounded for the season.

You were just a place he worked and he showed that for 16 years with the Packers and he is showing it now.
Face the facts.
You are way down on his list of things to give a damn about and it has always been that way.

Brett Favre has not played for the Packers since 2007 and instead of following your current QB you are stuck in the past and expect Favre to have the same connection with you as you did with him.

It does not exist for him and it makes you look like stalkers.
This has always been a one sided love affair.

You are making this into more than it really is.

In Chicago I'm sure it's all a big laugh fest. Telling people to just ignore it as Business doesn't really fly with me. There is much more then a simple "I want to play football" to this story. Fran Tarkenton sure thought so.

Steve McMicheal!? Who the hell is that!? He wasn't on the level of Favre. Not even close. I never cheered for him. FACT

There was more to Favre and the Packers than just $$$. At least in the beginning of his career. You can't convince me otherwise. That '96 SB was special and damn good memories. I reject your OPINION (and you talk like it's fact) Favre HATED GB. Do you know Favre, did he tell you that? Maybe he was from Mississippi and that is why he would go there in the off season. Yeah, your right, that makes NO sense what so ever. He must have Hated GB and wanted to get out of there. I'm originally from Wisconsin and if I had Brett Favre cash I would leave for Winter too.

Contrary to what you think, I am not obsessed with Favre and I resent the insinuation I'm a Brett Favre Stalker! WTF dude!? Guess voicing an opinion on a Guy who used to play for your team for 16 years makes you a Stalker. Whatever.

It's an interesting story for sure, I have my opinion/feelings on it (He's a Traitor). This is a Packer Forum and he's the topic of discussion (signing last week with our Arch-rival) so yeah, I'm going to talk about it. Sue me if you don't like Favre Talk on a GB forum for Christ sake. He only played here for 16 freaking years. I got my opinion, You got yours. You and I won't ever see eye to eye. Nuff said on this.

GrandMstrBud

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They'll change their tune five years from now when Aaron still hasn't delivered a Super Bowl and TT will have already fired MM to save his sorry job.

TT didn't say that until Brett showed up in Green Bay and by then it was too late. Brett felt like he was not wanted by the organization and it was then that he decided to move on. Yes Brett did retire but when he said he wanted to come back TT should have made that decision right away instead of waiting for Brett to show up. Once he showed up it was then that they decided there would be an open competition.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have we sunk to that level already? Lets not try to polarize all Packer fans into two categories, REAL or FAKE. The whole situation reminds me of the either you are with us or you are with the terrorists George Bush line. (Check out the link for a laugh).

YouTube - Either you are with us or you are with the terrorists

Also, is Favre a traitor? Hell yes he is. But I'm not going to just throw away all the awesome memories I have of the guy's first 17 years all because of his last 3.
That was a joke, if you didn't get it... And comparing me to Bush? Any 4 of them would be an insult. ;)

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No but on national TV on FoxNews Greta asked Favre if he would go back to Green Bay and compete for his old job and Favre laughed arrogantly and asked "Why?" I'm sure that really impressed his old coach.

Yeah..why?

Coming off a 14-3 season..why should he be competing for the job he held for 16 years...because TT wanted to annoint his "boy"? I don't think that was "arrogant" of Favre...

Thompson was constantly trying to **** Favre off so that he would leave..(You can't deny it!)

So..he finally left. Tedson got what he wanted and Favre moved on....

Stop acting like Thompson is the innocent VICTIM in all of this because it's not 'effin' true!

America

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coming off a 14-3 season..why should he be competing for the job he held for 16 years

Because every year is a new season. Because he played poorly down the stretch and threw away the NFCC game in overtime. Because there was a genuine sentiment in the organization (McGinn called it a "groundswell") that they'd be better off with Rodgers.

Because if Favre really were the "ultimate competitor" he would have welcomed the chance to prove it in an open competition with Rodgers.

Because in the NFL, nobody is 'entitled' to a job no matter how long they've held it....it has to be earned. Veterans get beat out and released all the time.....just ask Edgerin James.

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hahaha..what a laugh..

"Beat out"..he wasn't beat out...Rodgers was "annointed" by TT, because of Thompson's giant EGO..

"Groundswell"...A groundswell of two people...MM and TT?

Big groundswell there....also, the Packer TEAM played like sh*t in that GIANT game...Favre and Driver were the only one playing..

If Ruvell Martin could catch..the game would have been over. And Al Harris just flat out sucked in that game, as did the Offensive line and the defense. But by all means, blame it on Favre..it makes you feel better.

The whole "competition" thing was a joke. At first MM mentioned a competition and then later Tedson denied it. Believe me, Teddy didn't want Favre competing against his "boy" because he knew that AROD would lose. He just wanted Favre to go away.

So you can drop that cherished delusion that you hold about an "open competition", as well...

America

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just had to throw this in here from Ross Tucker, former NFL player and now a writer (Sports Illustrated Online).
Anyway, in his most recent column, he had this to say:

Suffice to say, I've yet to speak with a Packer or Jet who wishes Favre was still playing for their team.

This pretty much is along the same line as McGinn's assertion that there was a "groundswell" of support to go with Rodgers , and Bedard's claim that the players wanted Rodgers, and PackerUpdate's report that most of the people in the organization didn't want him to come out of retirement.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In Chicago I'm sure it's all a big laugh fest. Telling people to just ignore it as Business doesn't really fly with me. There is much more then a simple "I want to play football" to this story. Fran Tarkenton sure thought so.

Steve McMicheal!? Who the hell is that!? He wasn't on the level of Favre. Not even close. I never cheered for him. FACT

There was more to Favre and the Packers than just $$$. At least in the beginning of his career. You can't convince me otherwise. That '96 SB was special and damn good memories. I reject your OPINION (and you talk like it's fact) Favre HATED GB. Do you know Favre, did he tell you that? Maybe he was from Mississippi and that is why he would go there in the off season. Yeah, your right, that makes NO sense what so ever. He must have Hated GB and wanted to get out of there. I'm originally from Wisconsin and if I had Brett Favre cash I would leave for Winter too.

Contrary to what you think, I am not obsessed with Favre and I resent the insinuation I'm a Brett Favre Stalker! WTF dude!? Guess voicing an opinion on a Guy who used to play for your team for 16 years makes you a Stalker. Whatever.

It's an interesting story for sure, I have my opinion/feelings on it (He's a Traitor). This is a Packer Forum and he's the topic of discussion (signing last week with our Arch-rival) so yeah, I'm going to talk about it. Sue me if you don't like Favre Talk on a GB forum for Christ sake. He only played here for 16 freaking years. I got my opinion, You got yours. You and I won't ever see eye to eye. Nuff said on this.

Then rejoice in your love for Brett Favre and pretend that he is your friend and that he really really cares for you.
Make this a big deal in your life and act like it is more important than it really is.
It all sounds like some religious babble but if it makes you happy... or sad in this case then go with it.

If you can’t deal with a stranger moving to another state and working for a new place then go the opposite direction and get all crazy over it.
Just rant and scream about it and cry “traitor” as if he was a part of you somehow.
TRAITOR!
Embrace it and get all pissy about a man who does not know you or want to know you.
Paste a huge photo of him on your wall and look at it with a tear in your eye because I bet that Brett is doing the same thing with your photo even as I write this.
Puff out your chest and dare anyone to view Brett Favre as anything less than a giant figure or strength and goodness who cured cancer and AIDS all in one afternoon.

Make him your God… your center of your world… your own personal idol.
The rest of the world is just jealous of Brett and his personal love that he has for you.
It is all just a twisted plot to make him look like an attention seeking jag off.

I on the other hand do not pretend that a football player is a part of my family or something and I know that it is just entertainment.

They retire... they move to another team… they even die sometimes and I will never get hysterical about it or them.

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I just had to throw this in here from Ross Tucker, former NFL player and now a writer (Sports Illustrated Online).
Anyway, in his most recent column, he had this to say:

This pretty much is along the same line as McGinn's assertion that there was a "groundswell" of support to go with Rodgers , and Bedard's claim that the players wanted Rodgers, and PackerUpdate's report that most of the people in the organization didn't want him to come out of retirement.

Yes..Favre is now the evil arch-villain of the NFL and the TT is going to fly in with his cape and save football. Do you know how ridiculous you sound? These "sportswriters" are writing melodrama, and you guys are eating it up with a spoon....

What do you think guys are going to say? "Oh yeah..I wish we had Brett here instead of Rodgers"? C'mon..wake up to reality.

The Jets were all pointing fingers last year because their whole team collapsed. Favre got their pathetic ***** to 8-3 before his arm fell off. Watch what happens this year with the Jets...

Why don't you just admit that you have a personal problem with Brett Favre and be done with it instead of making these silly rationalizations over and over?

America

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why don't you just admit that you have a personal problem with Brett Favre and be done with it instead of making these silly rationalizations over and over?

I understand that you feel you have a personal relationship with Favre, and I understand that you idolize him. But I don't have the same feelings about multi-millionaire athletes who don't know me from a hole in the ground and who could care less about me or my life.

The last athlete I idolized was Willie Mays when I was 10 years old.

So no, my view of Favre isn't personal or emotional. I know it's hard for you to believe that it's possible to not be emotional about Favre but that's the way it is.

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No..but you do have a negative bias against Favre that skews your judgement and logic because you dislike "hero worship", and you feel that Favre is the epitome of that, so you look for things to discredit him, unfairly...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts