4-25-12 OTS: Draft Edition

Arrigo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the OTS (On The Sidelines) "draft edition" Packers rumors. Let's get to rumors and the draft!!

Now let me preference this edition is on the eve/day of the draft and rumors, misinformation and smokescreens are running rapid at this time. The OTS are Packers rumors that I obtain through various sources that I have come to know through my years doing radio. They are sources in NFL in various capacities and do have direct knowledge of what is being discussed by decision makers and front office personnel. Please keep in mind what a rumor is, hence what the OTS is:

RUMOR:

n.

A piece of unverified information of uncertain origin usually spread by word of mouth.
Unverified information received from another; hearsay.

Let me start with the release of Nick Collins. This was not an easy thing for Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy to do, but when it came down it they just didn't feel comfortable with letting back on the field for the Packers. The risk was too high for the team, but more importantly they had his future as a human being in mind, not saving or adding cap space. They are hoping Collins retires and have talked to him about being a part of the organization. I also heard that Collins has yet to be cleared by ANY doctor and is trying to get clearance.

I am hearing that the Packers would like a DE in round 1 (notably LSU's Michael Brockers) and would like to add the OLB in round 2. The theory is the DL crop is thinner then the OLB crop and they could get an impact OLB in round 2.

I was told that the Packers have talked to the Browns about a deal to move up should Brockers be there at #22. The talk was a swap of 1st round picks (22 for 28) and the Browns 7th for the Packers 4th and 6th rounder. My scout (an AFC scout) told me that it could still happen if Brockers is not there and an impact OLB is there (Quinton Coples or Courtney Upshaw).

I received a few DM's on twitter about a rumor that has the Rams dealing RB Steven Jackson to the Packers. I checked around and I was told that the Packers and Rams have talked about a deal that would send a 3rd rounder to the Rams for Jackson (and have been for 3 weeks). Jackson is owed $7 million each of the next 2 years and would provide a legitimate and complete running threat that Packers have lacked since Ahman Green. I was also told from an NFC Scout that it is 50/50 that this deal happens and NOTHING is eminent at this time.

I hear all the Shae McCellin talk to the Packers is a smokescreen. He's intriguing but 4 concussions is scaring some teams off a bit according to my source, an AFC Scout. He also said that he is not Clay Matthews and that Matthews was a far better player overall coming out of USC.

A couple names to watch in the 1st round for the Packers are:

LSU DE Michael Brockers

Syracuse DE/OLB Chandler Jones

Alabama OLB Courtney Upshaw

Alabama ILB/OLB Donta Hightower

USC OLB/DE Nick Perry

Boise St. RB Doug Martin

Michgan St DL Jerel Worthy

Illinois OLB Whitney Mercilus

A rumor I heard from an NFC Scout was the Packers could take USC's Nick Perry and keep him as a DE. They feel that he has the frame to add weight (285) and still be effective. They are also concerned about him dropping into coverage and playing in space as an OLB, but think he is athletic enough to do it.

An AFC Scout told me that he thinks Thompson will be "moving around a lot in this draft both up and down in any round." He said that is because of the amount of picks they have and the roster space (of player that they will actually carry) it makes sense for him to be "overly aggressive to get the guys he wants."

He also told me that "for a 15-1 team, people think they have a ton of wholes, but I'd love to have that problem (being 15-1)". He added "let me tell ya', where they need to get better, this is a draft suited for them to do so and knowing Ted like I do, he's gonna add some gems."

An NFC Scout told me that he thinks the Packers will add a RB "with-in the first 3 rounds either via trade or draft pick." He said that "that Martin kid from Boise St would be a good fit there and would give them surprising depth at RB."

The Packers were never in on Asante Samuel according to my NFC Scout. I know some thought that they might be, but from everything I have heard they never had interest in him.

I heard that the Packers had some late work on two Oklahoma Sooners, OLB Ronnell Lewis and WR Ryan Broyles. Both are 2nd and 3rd day picks and should be available when the Packers pick in those rounds.

With the added cap space after releasing Chad Clifton and Nick Collins, the Packers have some cap room to talk about extending Greg Jennings. I was told by a source that the Packers and Jennings both want to get a "reasonable deal done" and the team and Jennings people have been talking about a new deal that would keep Jennings in Green Bay for 5 more years beyond his current deal.

Please support not only my blog, but also The Average Joe Show pod cast at The Average Joe Show blog site

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THis is interesting because the Mock Draft gurus and Pro Scouts aren't nearly as high on Brockers as they were a month ago.

I've also heard Quinton Coples name thrown around. He's another one everyone's gone sour on. Huge talent but he doesn't give 100% is the rap on him. Some see him falling out of the top 20, others even see him falling out of the 1st round.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Stephen Jackson talks again? We went through this 2 years ago?

I would like to see it..We do need a legit RB now that it looks like that Grant wont be back..

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arrigio, I'm not picking on your post but there seems to be a lot of different scenarios some conflicting and some inconsistent. Not sure what to make out of it all.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
God I love hearing about stuff like this. Entertaining if anythign!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Arrigio, I'm not picking on your post but there seems to be a lot of different scenarios some conflicting and some inconsistent. Not sure what to make out of it all.

Read the start of his post again

Now let me preference this edition is on the eve/day of the draft and rumors, misinformation and smokescreens are running rapid at this time.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Read the start of his post again

Also note he is talking to people from other teams. They know as much as we do - certainly TT and company would not be discussing any of their intentions with other teams. Basically its a wide smattering of speculations. If you want to call it rumor, that I guess is 'in the ear of the beholder'.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good stuff this time........ Nick Perry was mentioned here, which is solid work as most of us were looking elsewhere.

Would love to get Steven Jackson, but it doesn't seem like a move Teddy would make.
Starks could learn a lot from Action Jackson though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts