3rd and whatever. We got this.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was anyone else impressed by how much Green Bay converted on 3rd and even 4th down against Minnesota?
I have never seen a team do it that much.
Anyone aware of any other games where a team didn't punt and scored on just about every drive especially after moving the chains after 3rd and 4th downs?

http://nfl.si.com/2013/10/28/aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-minnesota-vikings-christian-ponder/

So it was Sunday in Minnesota. Time and again, the Vikings forced Rodgers’ offense into third downs. Almost without fail, Rodgers found his way out of the mess. On one particular occasion, a 3rd-and-2 in Minnesota territory, Rodgers avoided the pass rush to scramble for 14 yards. After trotting out of bounds, the Packers’ QB looked back to ensure there were no flags on the play, then turned, smirked and playfully signaled first down.

Green Bay faced 18 third-down situations in its 44-31 win. Rodgers converted 13 of them — with two Vikings stops coming in the fourth quarter, with the game already decided. Just for good measure, the Packers moved the sticks on two fourth-down tries, too: a seven-yard completion to John Kuhn and later an eight-yarder to Jordy Nelson, both so comically easy that Rodgers would be forgiven if he let out a little chuckle along the way.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
aye, the 3rd and 4th down conversions were a big highlight of the game for me, especially as at times our 3rd down conversion rate hasn't been the greatest, i hope it gives the off more confidence for the run into the playoffs

jjmcjj

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was definitely an impressive game for 3rd and 4th down. That being said.... The Queens stink, and that should be factored in as well.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It must be stated that the Vikings defense has the highest 3rd down conversion rate in the league. So we shouldn't break our arms patting ourselves on the back. I'm happy that we got those numbers but we should have done so. Had we converted any less than I would have been surprised

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It must be stated that the Vikings defense has the highest 3rd down conversion rate in the league. So we shouldn't break our arms patting ourselves on the back. I'm happy that we got those numbers but we should have done so. Had we converted any less than I would have been surprised
You don't have to be impressed and that's cool.

There were two things that I had never seen before.
1) A team continuously converting on 3rd downs like that.
2) On the most impressive play, to me, on 3rd was when Air-Run escaped a sack, runs across the field, and throws across his body for the ball to be caught by Boykin who caught the ball and went down but wasn't touched then made a second effort to reach out and stretch the ball past the 1st down marker.
Not only were these efforts impressive but so was the motion that our QB threw it ACROSS HIS BODY.
Recently another un-named QB who did that, the ball got intercepted and the experts were saying that you should never throw across the body.
Well, Air-Run did and he made it work.
Dude is amazing.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Whoa! Pull those reigns, just a bit. Min is one of the worst teams in the NFL on 3rd/4th down. We've had far too many punts against legitimate defenses for me to buy in. /wetblanket

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only were these efforts impressive but so was the motion that our QB threw it ACROSS HIS BODY.
Recently another un-named QB who did that, the ball got intercepted and the experts were saying that you should never throw across the body.
Well, Air-Run did and he made it work.
Dude is amazing.
So maybe he did pay attention to Favre a little more than we all thought. Throwing across your body falls into one category for me. It's the: Succeed and you're a stud, Fail and your the Goat

Favre was famous for his gambles, hence all the "gunslinger" and "riverboat gambler" attributes these days. Make no mistake. Favre made many of those work but he did it a lot more, so he also failed a lot more. It's a dangerous road for Rodgers to go down. So far he's proved to be a cautious individual and he obviously did it when no defenders were around, which is I think the key here. He identified one of the few "right" times to throw across the body, but he still had to do it with strength and accuracy. Without those it still can get into the hands of defenders. I would bet that MM still wasn't thrilled with the move. Yes it got a 3rd down, and was impressive to all of us (including me), but was the reward worth a potential pick-6 down on our end of the field?

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So maybe he did pay attention to Favre a little more than we all thought. Throwing across your body falls into one category for me. It's the: Succeed and you're a stud, Fail and your the Goat

Favre was famous for his gambles, hence all the "gunslinger" and "riverboat gambler" attributes these days. Make no mistake. Favre made many of those work but he did it a lot more, so he also failed a lot more. It's a dangerous road for Rodgers to go down. So far he's proved to be a cautious individual and he obviously did it when no defenders were around, which is I think the key here. He identified one of the few "right" times to throw across the body, but he still had to do it with strength and accuracy. Without those it still can get into the hands of defenders. I would bet that MM still wasn't thrilled with the move. Yes it got a 3rd down, and was impressive to all of us (including me), but was the reward worth a potential pick-6 down on our end of the field?
I trust in Rodgers to make the right plays, smart throws and to know what he is doing.
I dunno if you are already saw this, but I found it to be helpful.

http://www.packers.com/media-center...ble-play/4b82b2c6-819d-44ce-9166-1721d2aebc35

greenNyellow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron doesn't throw pick 6's. Never has. He rarely makes mistakes and he has understood that throwing the ball away isn't a bad thing. You see him do it often.

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
Was anyone else impressed by how much Green Bay converted on 3rd and even 4th down against Minnesota?
I have never seen a team do it that much.
Anyone aware of any other games where a team didn't punt and scored on just about every drive especially after moving the chains after 3rd and 4th downs?

http://nfl.si.com/2013/10/28/aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-minnesota-vikings-christian-ponder/

So it was Sunday in Minnesota. Time and again, the Vikings forced Rodgers’ offense into third downs. Almost without fail, Rodgers found his way out of the mess. On one particular occasion, a 3rd-and-2 in Minnesota territory, Rodgers avoided the pass rush to scramble for 14 yards. After trotting out of bounds, the Packers’ QB looked back to ensure there were no flags on the play, then turned, smirked and playfully signaled first down.

Green Bay faced 18 third-down situations in its 44-31 win. Rodgers converted 13 of them — with two Vikings stops coming in the fourth quarter, with the game already decided. Just for good measure, the Packers moved the sticks on two fourth-down tries, too: a seven-yard completion to John Kuhn and later an eight-yarder to Jordy Nelson, both so comically easy that Rodgers would be forgiven if he let out a little chuckle along the way.
Well to answer your question the packers actually did not punt the ball once in the 2011 playoff game vs the falcons.

Members online

Latest posts