3-4 Defense?

tank72

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While reading the post about Hodge, I thought about what would it be like if GB went to a 3-4 defense. I think Barnett, Hawk, Hodge, and Poppinga or Taylor would be a great group of linebackers. Since the Pack has some trouble covering the pass-game sometimes, maybe those guys can help defend the pass with a zone scheme without having to bring in more D-backs, so you won't be sacraficing size or manpower on the field.

On the line there would still be Kampman and KGB or Jenkins, who I think could handle the D end spot. Jenkins could always switch between the DE and the lone DT position in the 3-4.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tank,
We just got the defense playing top 10 type quality "D". I cannot see why in the world we would change, and there is a LOT that would have to change, in order to fit Hodge, who has a ways to go anyhow.

We are talking about a complete overhaul in scheme here and something that they would have to pull off in just a couple of months.

Besides, we don't have that huge NT that you have to have for a 3-4.

We would be totally under utilizing Jenkins ability in order to add an unproven Hodge into the mix while asking everybody else to learn a different scheme.

Will never happen.

OP
OP
T

tank72

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its not like I was really expecting this too happen. You guys are right, it would be way too much of a change, and we dont really have a huge, dominating nose tackle.

OP
OP
T

tank72

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its not like I was really expecting this too happen. You guys are right, it would be way too much of a change, and we dont really have a huge, dominating nose tackle.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan Pickett could probably play Nose Tackle in the 3-4. He's up to about the 330 pound range. I think Alan Branch could fall and if he's there at 16 when the Pack pick it could create for an interesting situation. They could take him as Corey Williams still doesn't have a long term extension.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish I could find my gigantic rant directed at a similar thread that I posted a couple months ago. The NT issue has already been addressed, but in addition, Barnett is the only one of our LBs that would fit the 3-4 OLB prototype.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish I could find my gigantic rant directed at a similar thread that I posted a couple months ago. The NT issue has already been addressed, but in addition, Barnett is the only one of our LBs that would fit the 3-4 OLB prototype.

I don't know if Barnett is the only fit but the NT thing is dead on. We don't ave a 3-4 Caliber NT whatsoever

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have had too many Defensive co-ordinators in the last five years or more. Changing now to 4-3 would cause too much confusion. The Packer defense needs stability this year . Packer defense although needs improvement, especially in defensive secondary, is not the Packer's main problem. Offense is problem and needs to improved this year.

Packers are returning all starting defense players from 2006. Packers as just about every poster on this topic has said. Will not change to 3-4!!!

Members online

Latest posts