3-21-10 O.T.S. (Packers Rumors)

Arrigo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
joeslockerroom.com

Sunday, March 21st 2010 On The Sidelines

Here are some rumors that I have heard about.

RUMOR:

n.

A piece of unverified information of uncertain origin usually spread by word of mouth.
Unverified information received from another; hearsay.

Reading an e-mail I got from a close friend (and former scout) they believe that the Packers will stay at #23 in round 1. But, they seem to think that the Packers will try to deal up in round 3 or back into round 2 for a specific player.

The same person said that the insiders (and "experts") feelings about what the Packers possibly will do is different than most of us have been predicting and reporting. The thinking is that the Packers will continue to try to make their defense strong. They were shocked by the late season melt downs (breakdowns) on defense and want to take measures to not have a repeat in 2010.

The thought is the Packers will bring in another OLB and a versatile and quick safety. They also think that CB will be selected twice by the Packers and to watch them surprise everyone and add a powerful and strong DE in the early rounds (possibly 2 or 3). They want to be a tough, defensive minded team ala Pittsburgh.

I have heard that the Packers have scheduled workouts with these players:

Jerry Hughes-OLB-TCU
Darryl Washington-OLB-TCU
Jonathan Dwyer-RB-Georgia Tech
Morgan Burnett-S-Georgia Tech
Patrick Robinson-CB-Florida State
Sergio Kindle-OLB-Texas
Chris Cook-CB-Virginia
Reshad Jones-S-Georgia

The Packers also have had talks with these players at the Senior Bowl, Pro Days and/or Combine.

Taylor Mays-S-USC
Joe McKnight-RB-USC
John Jerry-OG/OT-Mississippi
Greg Hardy-DE-Mississippi
Shay Hodge-WR-Mississippi
Jerome Murphy-CB-South Florida
Major Wright-FS-Florida
Devin McCourty-CB/KR-Rutgers
Mike Johnson-LG-Alabama
Jason Fox-OT-Miami Florida
Kyle Wilson-CB-Boise St.
Dominique Franks-CB-Oklahoma
Trent Williams-OT-Oklahoma
A J Edds-OLB-Iowa
Kyle Calloway-RT-Iowa
Akwasi Owusu-Ansah-CB/KR-Indiana (PA)
Dexter McCluster-RB/WR/KR-Ole Miss

I have heard that the Packers really like the two Georgia Tech players (Dwyer and Burnett). Dwyer has a 3rd round grade from what I have heard and if he is there I wouldn't be shocked if he was the pick, He ran in the 4.4's at his pro day and showed nice hands and some extra "wiggle" and burst. Burnett has a 2nd round grade and is the type of safety that fits the athletic/quick/versatile safety that the Packers want (according to the source I mentioned earlier).

Patty (over at packer chatters) pointed out to me that once you think Ted Thompson is going in one direction, he goes the opposite. She also points out that "we need to see just where Ted Thompson and John Dorsey head out to. What schools they visit and then schedule those "secret meetings" that the media always find out about. His track record for the last 5 seasons (drafts) says he selects players he personally meets with in those trips and secret meetings."

The Chargers, Browns, Cowboys, Colts and Rams are teams that have talked to the Packers about moving back into round 1 or up in round 1. Thompson has been pretty good at having deals on the table (or already worked out) on draft day and making them happen to move up or back (depending on his board). Keep that in mind in this "deep" draft.

I have heard that the Chargers want to deal up for Ryan Matthews, while the Cowboys have their eyes on Iupati (G-Idaho) and Thomas (S-Tex). The Packers are the prime candidate to deal w/ because Thompson doesn't want to reach for an OL at that pick.

I have heard from a teammate of Taylor Mays that Mays thinks he'll end up in Green Bay and WANTS TO BE A PACKER. He said he feels that the Packers are the best "fit for his skill set" and would ultalize him better than any other team.

From what the player told me, Clay Mathews III and Clay Mathews Jr. have been asked by Thompson about Mays make-up, off-field personality and general information (since Mays is best friends w/ Mathews and is at the Mathews house all the time).

There is a thought that if Mays slips into round 2 that the Packers would deal up for him.

For the most part the Packers board has been done for a while (a couple months from what I was told). There are a few adjustments here and there, but it has been done. Thompson has just about EVERY DRAFT SCENARIO laid out and is prepared for just about anything.

Another player I heard the Packers are extremely high on is Iowa tackle Kyle Calloway. He is solid and steady and a natural in a "zone blocking" scheme.

The USC pro day will be interesting because I have heard that the Packers are looking hard at DE/OLB Everson Griffen. Griffen was the player Clay Matthews III took over for while at USC. The former Parade All American from the state of Arizona has the tools to be successful, but his attitude needs to improve and weight room strength needs to translate onto the football field more often.

Middle Tennessee State safety Anthony Levine is another player to keep an eye on during the later rounds of the draft. He ran a 4.43 forty and is a gritty player. According to the National Football Post, "hIs three-cone drill (6.64 seconds), 20-yard shuttle (4.05) and 60-yard shuttle (10.97) would have ranked first for any safety that worked out at the combine. Per our source, Levine's workout was conducted on a rough grass surface. According to a league source, Levine fastest time in the 40-yard dash was 4.43 seconds, unofficially, and he bench pressed 225 pounds 19 times. The 5-foot-11, 193-pounder also turned in a 35-inch vertical leap and a 9-6 broad jump. Several NFL teams sent representatives to Nashville, Tenn., to watch Levine perform, including Green Bay Packers executive Reggie McKenzie."

I was told by my close friend (and fellow writer here) that the Packers were in Fresno at the Fresno St. pro day and RB Ryan Matthews and CB A.J. Jefferson were the most watched.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and feel free to tell a friend about the site. Also, don't forget to sign-up for the forums (if you haven't already).

Joe Arrigo
[email protected]

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice job, very well written and a lot of fun to read. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning!

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good read Arrigo, are you getting this info from packersscout.com? It's a subscription site and they have all the good insider stuff. They got the Clay Matthews and TJ Lang stuff right last season.

I hope that the Packers really take Reshad Jones. I see absolutely no negatives with this kid. However just days ago the dolphins gave this kid the 5-star treatment with a private practice and special dinner.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good read Arrigo, are you getting this info from packersscout.com? It's a subscription site and they have all the good insider stuff. They got the Clay Matthews and TJ Lang stuff right last season.

I hope that the Packers really take Reshad Jones. I see absolutely no negatives with this kid. However just days ago the dolphins gave this kid the 5-star treatment with a private practice and special dinner.
They may've given him that, but he's not an FA.

Right now, you really don't know if teams are showing real interest or trying to create diversion...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They may've given him that, but he's not an FA.

Right now, you really don't know if teams are showing real interest or trying to create diversion...

I know but it's just a bit intimidating to me that they would do that for him. They do pick higher than us and in that article I read that if he isn't gone by their 3rd round pick, they most definitely will pull the trigger.

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I think about it the more this makes perfect sense. Last season once we got our starting O-line back from injury, the weak point was then shifted to the defense. We just signed our O-Tackles to multi year contracts so they are obviously thinking these guys will be it for the next few years. I believe they think they can wait another year and see what happens with the O-line. You would have to think that in order to hire a guy like Dom Capers as the Defensive coordinator you would have to promise him a chance to get the guys he wants over the next few years. So that leaves us picking mostly defensive players in the draft.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Interesting to say the least Joe. I must say that I am not impressed at all with the NFL stretching the draft over 3 days with only the first round on Thursday evening... But I am looking forward to it still...

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I think about it the more this makes perfect sense. Last season once we got our starting O-line back from injury, the weak point was then shifted to the defense. We just signed our O-Tackles to multi year contracts so they are obviously thinking these guys will be it for the next few years. I believe they think they can wait another year and see what happens with the O-line. You would have to think that in order to hire a guy like Dom Capers as the Defensive coordinator you would have to promise him a chance to get the guys he wants over the next few years. So that leaves us picking mostly defensive players in the draft.

I wish you were right about the O-line and I want to believe it, but I still feel this is the weakest part of the team when you factor in general performance and health.

Clifton was already showing the start of his declining skills with his penalties, and both Clifton and Tauscher are gambles at finishing a 16 game season and playoff run. We have no depth in the O-line, just imagine if Wells or Sitton goes down with an injury.

The left guard position is questionable, Colledge has proven to be inconsistent and Spitz has that dreaded back issues.

We are on shaky ground when it comes to the O-line.

IMO I would like to see 1 or 2 veterans brought in through free agency and or trade, maybe not starters, but quality depth over and above the rookies we get through the draft.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Clay Matthews won't shut up about Mays on Twitter. He clearly wants him on the team. I'm warming to the idea, but I still think there's several players that make more sense at 23.

Dwyer is the opposite of the kind of running back we need. He's Ryan Grant, just a few years younger. We don't need two Grants.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Clay Matthews won't shut up about Mays on Twitter. He clearly wants him on the team. I'm warming to the idea, but I still think there's several players that make more sense at 23.

Dwyer is the opposite of the kind of running back we need. He's Ryan Grant, just a few years younger. We don't need two Grants.
If they take Taylor Mays I hope they do it at a spot other than 23. Either a trade back into round 2 or if he slides all the way to their original D2 spot. But who am I? Sure not an NFL GM that is for sure.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they take Taylor Mays I hope they do it at a spot other than 23. Either a trade back into round 2 or if he slides all the way to their original D2 spot. But who am I? Sure not an NFL GM that is for sure.
I agree with you. We should pick him in another spot.

That new 5th round compensatory pick is the ideal position to select him. If he doesn't fall to that, too bad...

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
It's amazing how far Mays has fallen that we are now able to say "if he's there in the second round" type stuff. I remember when he was a top 5 pick, and then he stayed at USC an extra year and effed that all up.

I wouldn't hate taking him at 23, but I could probably list 10 players I would rather have. At least.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You would think there is something very wrong with him if Pete Carrol passes on him twice. First round is boom or bust and I would think that the hawks need help in the 2ndary

every1else

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that I know the Seahawks' safeties but I feel like they have more pressing needs.

Picking a player just because you recently coached him isn't always the best idea; though I'm sure Pete has an idea of his potential better than anyone.

Also I think we have bigger needs than safety right now, but if he falls to the second round I think it's worth it to snatch him.

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I should have elaborated a little more. I think the theory makes sense that this is the way that TT is going to go about the draft. I, however, don't exactly agree it is the right decision. I think they will draft an O-tackle just not in the first 2 rounds. Look for them to take one in the third unless (the fans get lucky) the right OT drops to us at 23 and who ever else they want has been taken.

We all know they will not reach to take anyone no mater how bad the need is. If we do draft at 23 (not trade the pick) the top O-Line men will be gone and that is about the time the top OLB will be going which goes with the theory of getting a better pass defense.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need better pass rusher in our front seven, but with Raji, Wynn, and Jones all coming back for the second years, their improvement from their rookie years maybe enough to make a big difference for our defense, which in turn will help our secondary.

Who are the Raji, Wynn, and Jones on our O-line. All I see is Lang. With the age and the general nature of the NFL we are 2 injuries away from a disaster on the O-line.

As long as TT is not reaching, its a no brainier we go for a lineman as long as he is worthy of a 1st round selection. If Davis, Bulaga, Iupatai, or Brown are avaible would be good choices.

I really like Iupatai, he can start day one and be a true upgrade and improve the unit as a whole from day one leaving Lang as the backup tackle and another year to develop. Drafting a LT would be welcomed as well, but will take time to develop and really only helps the Pack as far as depth in the short run which is needed badly, no guarantees that both Clifton and Tauscher stay healthy all season.

Members online

Latest posts