3-14-15-66-92

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bob Harlan has done a great job in bringing special history back to life.

This year I visited Green Bay for the first time. There is no venue, or organization that has the history proud history of the Packers. Not just in football but in any professional sport.

I know someone here has the ability to talk to Bob Harlan.

Please suggest this to him.

The Packers should take that history not only on to the frozen tundra but also to every venue they play in. Take it to Minnesota, take it to Chicago, Take it to Detroit, and take it all over the country in road games.

Here is R.P.'s idea....

Put the numbers 3 and 14 and 15 and 66 and 92 on the back of every helmet of every player.

Let the young players look at those numbers before they slip on the sacred helmet and run out on the field. Let the T.V. announcers explain what those numbers mean on the back of each Packer Player helmet.

Let the legends take the field every game even though their numbers are retired.

I love this idea... I think it fits in perfect with Packer tradition of pride of history.

What do you think?

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the NFL (No Fun League) would probably say they can't do it.

Myself I think it's a great idea!

I think they probably could. The Colts remembered Dungy's son on their helmets. Why couldn't we put some numbers on the back of ours?

OP
OP
R

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:

I think they probably could. The Colts remembered Dungy's son on their helmets. Why couldn't we put some numbers on the back of ours?

I am not talking about a black temporary remembrance. I am talking about the Retired Packer numbers on the back of every helmet, every game, in every city. A permanent part of the uniform. A legacy to history.

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
yooperfan said:

I am not talking about a black temporary remembrance. I am talking about the Retired Packer numbers on the back of every helmet, every game, in every city. A permanent part of the uniform. A legacy to history.

I know what you were talking about.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt if the numbers of some players who played back in the age of some of these guys grandparents would do much to motivate them, but it couldn't hurt to try.

IMO, tradition and history are only important to us fans. To the players, coaches and management, this is a business. If you want to motivate them to play better, I think you're better off putting dollar signs on and in their helmets.

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It should be a part of rookie camp or new player initiation to learn about the history of this team, and what it means to be a Packer. What it means to have the honor of wearing green and gold. What it means to step out onto Lambeau Field and defend its honor. The stadium, the history, the legends, the Leaps, and the fans are all huge part of this team. The new guys need to know AND RESPECT these things.

Great idea putting the numbers on the helmets. With players landing in jail or in trouble all the time, maybe its time they change the attitude of these guys! I would love to see them out there playing with heart and for respect, rather than NFL millions

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
I'm not 70 years old so I don't know what those numbers mean.

Lottery digits, I'm guessing.

Packers retired players:
3 Tony Canadeo B 1952
14 Don Hutson E/DB 1951
15 Bart Starr QB 1973
66 Ray Nitschke LB 1983
92 Reggie White DE 1999**

**White's jersey is retired, but not the actual number**

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Bob Harlan has done a great job in bringing special history back to life.

This year I visited Green Bay for the first time. There is no venue, or organization that has the history proud history of the Packers. Not just in football but in any professional sport.

I know someone here has the ability to talk to Bob Harlan.

Please suggest this to him.

The Packers should take that history not only on to the frozen tundra but also to every venue they play in. Take it to Minnesota, take it to Chicago, Take it to Detroit, and take it all over the country in road games.

Here is R.P.'s idea....

Put the numbers 3 and 14 and 15 and 66 and 92 on the back of every helmet of every player.

Let the young players look at those numbers before they slip on the sacred helmet and run out on the field. Let the T.V. announcers explain what those numbers mean on the back of each Packer Player helmet.

Let the legends take the field every game even though their numbers are retired.

I love this idea... I think it fits in perfect with Packer tradition of pride of history.

What do you think?
I have talked to him, and wrote him about an idea i had. He wrote me back and thanked me for the idea. He's VERY easy to talk to, and will listen to us average fans.
I myself like your idea, but i know that the NFL will only allow certain things on the helmets, and those things always have a time limit. They keep VERY tight reins on whats allowed or not allowed. So even though i like the idea and the thought behind it, they won't allow all those numbers on the players helmets. They make temporary exceptions (like when Reggie White died) for the team to put his number on their helmets. But as you see, it was just for that season.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The packers are well aware of the history of Green Bay. Walking through the player facilities, you can't go from one room to another with out passing the SuperBowl trophies. In the lunch room, there are huge pictures of past players (nitchke, White, etc) and in the main hallway, there are banners hanging from the ceiling showing each of the championship years. When the players run out to the field they all step on the brick portion that Sherman put in the new tunnel that was from the old tunnel where all the past players passed. There is also a plaque there. You can't escape the tradition.

you can see some of the pics in a folder i have online. the link is:

http://www.pixagogo.com/3190795649

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reggie White's number 92 was officially retired during the Cleveland Browns-Green Bay Packer game at Lambeau Field on September 18th, 2005.

Actually his number 92 was also retired by Philadelphia Eagles on December 5, 2005 during the Philadelphia Eagle-Seattle Seahawks in Philadelphia on Monday night Football.

Reggie White played for the Philadelphia Eagles before he became a Free Agent and was signed to Green Bay Packer contract in April 1993. .

source- Green Bay Press-Gazette- "Reggie White Retiring No 92- Keepsake section- September 18, 2005

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts