3-14-10 o.t.s.

Arrigo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The is up on my new site, joeslockerroom.com. Feel free to go check it out.

Sunday, March 14th 2010 On The Sidelines

Here are some rumors that I have heard about.

RUMOR:

n.

A piece of unverified information of uncertain origin usually spread by word of mouth.
Unverified information received from another; hearsay.

I close friend asked me check on a rumor that had the Packers and Browns making a deal. I got two separate rumors involving the two teams so here they are.

Rumor #1 had the Packers trading A.J. Hawk, their first round pick (#23), 3 round pick, a 2011 pick (round 2) and another player to the Browns for their 1st round pick (#7) overall should Eric Berry be available. I am not sure how that balances out on the "trade chart" but the rumor was floated out there.

Rumor #2 is the Browns wanting to deal back into round 1 for Colt McCoy. Apparently Mike Holmgren really like him and thinks he could be a very good NFL signal caller if he is brought along slowly (like Aaron Rodgers was). With the recent signing of Jake Delhomme this scenario becomes very possible. The Packers feel (so I have hard) that they can get a starting quality left tackle in rounds 2 through 4. I have heard the deal between the two teams (should it happen) would look something like this:

Green Bay would send Brady Poppinga OLB and pick 23 to the Browns for pick 38 and pick 71 and as a part of the trade the Packers will take Matt Roth OLB , who is a RFA tendered by Browns. The Packers would sign Matt Roth and it not cost the Packers a draft selection.

The Packers lose out on getting a "primary" OT prospect in round 1, but do come away with an extra selection (pick 71) and Matt Roth OLB who is more of a 3-4 OLB than Poppinga. It would also give the Packers time to develop Brad Jones whom they (and other NFL scouts) feel could be the steal of the 2009 draft.

A picture of former USC safety Taylor Mays was posted on twitter wearing a Green Bay Packers beanie. Could there be a connection? Maybe, but if you look at the jersey in the background (in the mirror) you will see it is at his best friend's (and current Packers OLB) house, Clay Matthews III. But I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Mays is the Packers top choice in the 2010 draft. I have heard (for quite some time) that the Packers scouts and coaches really like Mays and think they can utilize his strengths in their defense. They see a hard working, football junkie that is very coachable that has the desire to be the best football player he can be. Mays also has commented that he would love to be a Packers because of the Packers tradition and outstanding Packers fans.

As far as free agent news, there is none coming out of 1265. I hear the Packers focus has been to lock-up their own guys and if a player that fits what they are looking for is available, then take a look at them.

The Packers re-signed Mark Tauscher to a 2 year deal Saturday night or Sunday morning (thanks to Jason Wilde of ESPN Milwaukee for breaking the story).

Another player to watch in the mid-to-late rounds is Ole Miss quarterback Jevan Snead. He has all the tools you would want your QB to have, but had a poor year. That mixed in with high expectations and a surprise entry into the draft equals slipping in the draft. I hear that Mike McCarthy and Tom Clements really think he can be a good QB down the road.

The player I keep hearing linked to the Packers (like Tim Tebow to the Patriots) is Dexter McCluster. I hear the more the coaches watch his tape, the more they fall in love with him. You take that with his attitude, abilities and infectious personality, you have a player a team will take a chance on (despite his small stature).

I also hear that they really like Indiana University (PA) corner back Akwasi Owusu-Ansah. He ran (again) at the Ohio St. pro day and ran a 4.30 and a 4.34 (it is to note that Ohio St.'s track is known as a fast track). He has all the tool the look for in a a corner and has moved up from a 5th round prospect to a player that could be taken in the 4th or even late in the 3rd.

St. Louis Rams have notified a few teams their interest to cut ties with Adam Carriker (former round 1 pick). The Redskins and the Packers as showing some interest. At 6-6 302 he could move outside in the 3-4 and play DE. Why the whispered interest from Green Bay? I heard that the Rams are asking for a 4th round selection for him (remember he is only 26 years old).

A major rumor has started that has Michigan CB/S Donovan Warren having to have ankle surgery. Something was wrong at his pro day when he managed a 4.55 forty. He did not look right according to scouts. He has previous times of 4.42 but his 3 cone drill times were off as well.

Some whispers are starting to surface that the Packers want to add a WR to take over for Donald Driver as soon as 2011. I heard that they know Driver can't play forever and they will need to find a replacement for him to start opposite of Greg Jennings. I heard they feel James Jones and Jordy Nelson are nice complimentary players, but want to add a faster player opposite of Jennings.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and feel free to tell a friend about th3 new site.

Joe
[email protected]

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matt Roth isn't such a bad player. He did really well once the Dolphins started him in their 3-4 defense. However I'm not liking that A.j. Hawk trade one bit. I think that it's a bit too much even for Eric Berry. It would make more sense to trade up to a later spot and take one of the better OTs and grab a safety later on because the safety class this year is very deep.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matt Roth isn't such a bad player. He did really well once the Dolphins started him in their 3-4 defense. However I'm not liking that A.j. Hawk trade one bit. I think that it's a bit too much even for Eric Berry. It would make more sense to trade up to a later spot and take one of the better OTs and grab a safety later on because the safety class this year is very deep.
I'd have to disagree on that one.

Though it makes more sense, we can get more quality at S and OT the way you want, Berry is such an amazing player, that if we had the oportunity of picking him, we should...

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not like Rumor #1 at all. We would be giving up way too much to move up. Giving up anything in the 2011 draft would be stupid........especially a #2.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't trust rumors. They are nothing but a waste of time.
I guess the only thing their good for is to kill time waiting for the season to start.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score

ya I am not a fan of Hawk, but I am in agreement with you that is too much to give up.

Ghost of Billy Mays

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year I fell out my chair when we traded up for Matthews, if we traded up this year to the 7 spot I would straight up **** my britches.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year I fell out my chair when we traded up for Matthews, if we traded up this year to the 7 spot I would straight up **** my britches.

It was mentioned that the packers were in talks with the raiders during the combine over possible trades. Everyone thought that it involved trading players like aj hawk, nnamdi asomugha, kirk morrison or thomas howard but could the packers have discussed moving up to spot #7 in the first round?

Staff online

Latest posts