2nd Half Scoring

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting to see that neither team scored in the 2nd half. Was this because MM did not want to run up the score? This has to be a good thing when your team is 6-0 and you still have alot to work on. Next weeks game "should" be a good practice game before the bye, then the Pack can come out firing on all 3 cylinders in San Diego.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crappy running game, conservative calling and drops by the recivers caused us not to score.
I really, really doubt that MM didnt want to run up the score
as of two weeks ago he was preaching about not letting the foot off the gas and finishing the game strong.

Obviously didn't do that yesterday.

Reaction score
I didn't mind the second half calls. Run the ball against the team who has given up more rushing yards than the eagles. Throw on third downs with the best qb in the league right now. Sounds good when you chalk it up like that, but in all reality we did not run the ball effective and there were too many drops and misfires. Say what u want about the play calling, but the offense didn't execute in the second half

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't mind the second half calls. Run the ball against the team who has given up more rushing yards than the eagles. Throw on third downs with the best qb in the league right now. Sounds good when you chalk it up like that, but in all reality we did not run the ball effective and there were too many drops and misfires. Say what u want about the play calling, but the offense didn't execute in the second half

The thing is, we had tons of success throwing the ball in the 1st half, so why stop?
Dont fix what aint broken.

Though I wouldnt be saying this had the run game actually been decent.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Interesting to see that neither team scored in the 2nd half. Was this because MM did not want to run up the score? This has to be a good thing when your team is 6-0 and you still have alot to work on. Next weeks game "should" be a good practice game before the bye, then the Pack can come out firing on all 3 cylinders in San Diego.

I kind of hoping it's more like the offense just went on cruise control a bit. Big lead, a 0-4 team. why waste extra effort? I don't like it, but it could be that way.

OP
OP
Guacamole

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
When was the last time MM pulled out the dagger/kept his foot on the gas pedal in a reg season game?(hopefully next week)
When was the last time there was no scoring in the 2nd half by both teams? (not that I really care)
How many of you thought that was a safety on Shields?(be honest)

Reaction score
The thing is, we had tons of success throwing the ball in the 1st half, so why stop?
Dont fix what aint broken.

Though I wouldnt be saying this had the run game actually been decent.

It is unnecessary to keep throwing the ball with a big lead. Turnovers are much more likely to happen in the passing game. Despite how great Rodgers has been, a tipped pass/ Unblocked blocker can lead to a turnover. This is how u allow the team to comeback. AKA Dallas. They had a hefty lead against Detroit. Boom 2 pick six's in a row. Detroit wins. I know it is the winless Rams. When we go up against a better team, we need to be able to run the ball when we have a lead. A clock is a team's worst enemy when they are trailing. Why help a team out by leaving more time on the clock and giving them the ball?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Just remember that in last two years this team played down to it's opponents..Tampa in 09, Miami last year, and we got BEAT...

Not saying we shouldnt have scored more (we should have) but it is doing what is expected of them

They were 14, or 15 point favorites

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
My friend and I discussed the play at the time and we thought it was a safety.

I never thought it would be a safety...He never got out of endzone

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Digest of Rules Main
Safety

The important factor in a safety is impetus. Two points are scored for the opposing team when the ball is dead on or behind a team’s own goal line if the impetus came from a player on that team.

Examples of Safety:

(a) Blocked punt goes out of kicking team’s end zone. Impetus was provided by punting team. The block only changes direction of ball, not impetus.
(b) Ball carrier retreats from field of play into his own end zone and is downed. Ball carrier provides impetus.
(c) Offensive team commits a foul and spot of enforcement is behind its own goal line.
(d) Player on receiving team muffs punt and, trying to get ball, forces or illegally kicks (creating new impetus) it into end zone where it goes out of the end zone or is recovered by a member of the receiving team in the end zone.

Examples of Non-Safety:

(a) Player intercepts a pass with both feet inbounds in the field of play and his momentum carries him into his own end zone. Ball is put in play at spot of interception.
(b) Player intercepts a pass in his own end zone and is downed in the end zone, even after recovering in the end zone. Impetus came from passing team, not from defense. (Touchback)

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A few big 3rd down drops left our offense sputtering, but i would much rather see us line up and try to run the ball with no vision starks than see one of our WRs get smoked in meaningless gametime or god forbid Rodgers get hurt on a dropback up by 21 points.

Reaction score
Just remember that in last two years this team played down to it's opponents..Tampa in 09, Miami last year, and we got BEAT...

Not saying we shouldnt have scored more (we should have) but it is doing what is expected of them

They were 14, or 15 point favorites

Those were completely different games. In those games we never lead by 2 plus touchdowns. I'm all for being aggressive when the game is close; however, I don't want to throw the ball 20 times in a row when we have a 2 touchdown lead in the 4th quarter. It's unnecessary. If you want to run up the score and win by 40, that's great. I'd rather watch a team snag an early big lead. Then run the ball and play defense. That's what a great team looks like. A team that has no glaring weaknesses. A team that can beat another team multiple ways.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Would you rather see some amazing plays and the chance of an injury sacrificing for it or not? Our Pack needs the bye week, and all I can hope for is no injuries anymore.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The play calling was as aggressive as ever, but there were a lot of receiver drops that caused several drives to stall. I believe some of the players grew complacent and let up themselves. Hopefully McCarthy rips these guys a new one- Shows the only the second half game tape and lights a fire in their *****.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
We already had the game won in the first half, there really wasn't even much of a point in playing the 2nd half. The Packers can beat a team in only 2 quarters, Falcons, now Rams. Unless MM wanted to run up the score sky high and really ram (no pun intended) it down the Rams throats, the 2nd half of the game was pretty much being played out merely for the sake of finishing the game. I don't think the offense played badly, I think they let up on purpose. Why risk the possibility of an INT or fumble or even injury? Our defense kept them out of the endzone not only for the 2nd half but the entire game.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
We already had the game won in the first half, there really wasn't even much of a point in playing the 2nd half. The Packers can beat a team in only 2 quarters, Falcons, now Rams. Unless MM wanted to run up the score sky high and really ram (no pun intended) it down the Rams throats, the 2nd half of the game was pretty much being played out merely for the sake of finishing the game. I don't think the offense played badly, I think they let up on purpose. Why risk the possibility of an INT or fumble or even injury? Our defense kept them out of the endzone not only for the 2nd half but the entire game.

Totally agree.

Had we ran the score up, they'd be *****ing like the Tampa Bay fans did over the 49ers running it up on them, or like everyone in the past that has criticized New England for doing it. Either way, not everyone is going to be happy, but 6-0 is enough to make me not complain. I am thankful for coming off a Super Bowl win and to be the last undefeated team.

PackAttack13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would you rather see some amazing plays and the chance of an injury sacrificing for it or not? Our Pack needs the bye week, and all I can hope for is no injuries anymore.
Which is why i think the offense really slowed down in the second half. I know there was some bad plays and dropped balls but when your that far ahead with an offense like that theres no reason to go all out when its only the 6th game of the season. Save the energy for the playoffs.

L

Lunchboxer

I think MM kinda let off the gas a bit. It was a big lead against a 0-4 team. Maybe he dident want to push anyone to hard. Dont want to see ppl get hurt in a meaningless game.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
At least we are scoring in the 4th quarter, besides the Rams game, at least we're not the Eagles and have 17 total points in the 4th quarter through 6 weeks.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts