2014 Starting Lineups

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say only ONE of these will change due to a draft pick, and it will be a safety if we pick him with our first pick.
Or ILB if we pick an ILB with our first pick.

OFFENSE
Quarterback - Aaron Rodgers
Running Back - Eddie Lacy
Wide Receiver - Jordy Nelson
Wide Receiver - Randall Cobb
Wide Receiver - Jarrett Boykin
Tight End - Andrew Quarless
Left Tackle - David Bakhtiari
Left Guard - Josh Sitton
Center - J.C. Tretter
Right Guard - T.J. Lang
Right Tackle - Bryan Bulaga

DEFENSE

Defensive End - Julius Peppers
Nose Tackle - B.J. Raji
Defensive End - Mike Daniels
Outside Linebacker - Clay Matthews
Inside Linebacker - Brad Jones
Inside Linebacker - A.J. Hawk
Outside Linebacker - Nick Perry
Cornerback - Tramon Williams
Cornerback - Sam Shields
Free Safety - Morgan Burnett
Strong Safety - Micah Hyde

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Qb Rodgers
Tb Lacy
TE Quarless
LT Bulaga
RT Bak
LG Sitton
RG Tretter
C Lang
Wr Nelson
Wr Cobb
Wr Boykin

Dend Jolly
Dend Daniels
NT Raji
Ilb Hawk
Ilb Borland
Olb Matthews
Olb Peppers
Cb shields
Cb Williams
SS Burnett
FS Pryor

D

Deleted member 6794

Qb Rodgers
Tb Lacy
TE Quarless
LT Bulaga
RT Bak
LG Sitton
RG Tretter
C Lang
Wr Nelson
Wr Cobb
Wr Boykin

Dend Jolly
Dend Daniels
NT Raji
Ilb Hawk
Ilb Borland
Olb Matthews
Olb Peppers
Cb shields
Cb Williams
SS Burnett
FS Pryor

McCarthy has already announced that Bakhtiari will stay on the left side while Bulaga will move back to the right.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Qb Rodgers
Tb Lacy
TE Quarless
LT Bulaga
RT Bak
LG Sitton
RG Tretter
C Lang
Wr Nelson
Wr Cobb
Wr Boykin

Dend Jolly
Dend Daniels
NT Raji
Ilb Hawk
Ilb Borland
Olb Matthews
Olb Peppers
Cb shields
Cb Williams
SS Burnett
FS Pryor

McCarthy also already announced that peppers will have a lot less snaps than he did with the bears to keep him fresh and that he'll be in the elephant role not really what I consider the starting OLB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Typo on Bak and Bulaga. As far as Pep I guarantee we see him at olb more than we expect. Especially on passing downs. The elephant "role" or not.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I say only ONE of these will change due to a draft pick, and it will be a safety if we pick him with our first pick.
Or ILB if we pick an ILB with our first pick.

OFFENSE
Quarterback - Aaron Rodgers
Running Back - Eddie Lacy
Wide Receiver - Jordy Nelson
Wide Receiver - Randall Cobb
Wide Receiver - Jarrett Boykin
Tight End - Andrew Quarless
Left Tackle - David Bakhtiari
Left Guard - Josh Sitton
Center - J.C. Tretter
Right Guard - T.J. Lang
Right Tackle - Bryan Bulaga
DEFENSE
Defensive End - Julius Peppers
Nose Tackle - B.J. Raji
Defensive End - Mike Daniels
Outside Linebacker - Clay Matthews
Inside Linebacker - Brad Jones
Inside Linebacker - A.J. Hawk
Outside Linebacker - Nick Perry
Cornerback - Tramon Williams
Cornerback - Sam Shields
Free Safety - Morgan Burnett
Strong Safety - Micah Hyde
Peppers probably starts at OLB with heavy rotations of Perry and Neal, so I'd say the LDE spot and possibly TE are wide open as well. Boykin is displaceable, and Tretter could see competition.

Last edited:

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
McCarthy also already announced that peppers will have a lot less snaps than he did with the bears to keep him fresh and that he'll be in the elephant role not really what I consider the starting OLB.

Edge Rushers get subbed a lot more than IDL, and we're probably deeper there as far as rushers go. LE has almost nobody. Peppers probably starts at OLB with plenty of breathers from Perry and Neal. "Elephant" is just a big LOLB

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
God would I love to see PRYOR & BORLAND in our starting lineups in Seattle on September 4th.
KO some Seahawks.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
God would I love to see PRYOR & BORLAND in our starting lineups in Seattle on September 4th.
KO some Seahawks.

You and I both. Now some mocks have Pryor going to Philly and HaHa sliding to the Packers. So a Haha in rd 1 and Borland in rd 2 is a real possibility as well. Wouldn't be upset about that combo either. Heck I'll mix it up some...Mosley rd1 and Bucannon in rd2 would work for me as well.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we draft OL I don't see Tretter starting. If that's the case I can see Sitton moving to C and the draft pick moving to Sitton's spot or Bakhtiari's spot with Bak moving in to G. It's also possible we draft a guy like Swanson would would only move Tretter out and keep everyone in their projected position. I can't IMAGINE Brad Jones starting on Defense under any circumstance.

D

Deleted member 6794

You want to keep having "finesse", wirey guys back there on defense?
More Brad Jones, MD Jennings, Morgan Burnett types?

I want to have a FS capable of playing as a single high safety (not Pryor) and a ILB capable of playing the run, covering someone, rushing the passer at times and containing a running QB (not Borland).

I don't care about hard hitting players.

D

Deleted member 6794

If we draft OL I don't see Tretter starting. If that's the case I can see Sitton moving to C and the draft pick moving to Sitton's spot or Bakhtiari's spot with Bak moving in to G. It's also possible we draft a guy like Swanson would would only move Tretter out and keep everyone in their projected position.

It's not a good idea to move everyone around on the OL. Draft someone to compete with Tretter for the starting job at center.

H

HardRightEdge

Defense:

I would expect Peppers to mostly sit in the base D under a limited-snaps approach. Strong side base DE looks fairly open...Boyd gets penciled in at this point, but by opening day it might be Guion or a draftee. Pickett brought back on a modest one year deal after the draft would hardly be a shocker. Jolly would be the guy if not for the long shot nature of his injury.

So, if Pepper sits in base, I'd expect the OLB spot opposite Matthews to be manned by Perry or Neal.

The possible nickel configurations, which historically Capers has run 65 - 70% of the time, are more relevant for their frequency and more interesting for the variety of possibilities.

In nickel, I'd expect Peppers primary role to be 7 technique edge rusher...whether that's hand-in-the-dirt-DE-elephant or upright-OLB-elephant. He could also do some work inside at 3-tech (as noted by McCarthy) with Perry on the edge.

Nickel 3-tech is most interesting for the possibilities...Raji, Daniels, Boyd, Peppers and Neal have all played there or been mentioned as possibilities. I'd expect Daniels there most of the time given last year's performance; I'd hope to see Boyd win the job as the #2 otherwise what the h*ll good is he.

The ILB spot next to Hawk should be up for grabs. Jones is in a competitive situation even if the only competition is Barrington. Even a mid-roundish pick like Zumwalt puts Jones on notice.

Burnett and Hyde are the safeties by default. A pick in the top 3 rounds should make it a more competitive situation.

I think we all have Heyward penned in at nickel corner barring an injury hangover.

Offense:

Center becomes a competitive position if we actually acquire one. Tretter is the guy right now by default.

I expect a WR in the top 3 rounds for the occasional 4 WR sets. I have a hard time seeing a rookie bump Boykin...more a 2015 preparation move. Myles White could surprise...he needs to make a jump from enthusiastic puppy dog to polished player...his size works against him; his speed and evident love of the game work for him but it might not be enough.

2nd. TE should be a competitive situation. I don't think we have a guy on the roster who's much of a blocker at the position, though. Mulligan came and went in a hurry. Bostick or a draftee could give Quarless a run for the top spot; Quarless needs to beef up his blocking to solidify his hold.

It appears Liaina was brought in as insurance in the event Kuhn couldn't be signed. FB should be a competitive spot in any case.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

If we draft OL I don't see Tretter starting. If that's the case I can see Sitton moving to C and the draft pick moving to Sitton's spot or Bakhtiari's spot with Bak moving in to G. It's also possible we draft a guy like Swanson would would only move Tretter out and keep everyone in their projected position. I can't IMAGINE Brad Jones starting on Defense under any circumstance.
I'd be shocked and amazed if Sitton played center under any scenario. We'd have to have 3 Pro Bowl guards to move him off his spot...and that ain't happening.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont want to hear the names Perry or Neal as a starting olb ever again. If peppers is going to see time as olb I'd rather see Mulumba replace him when Peppers slides back to d end. The Neal/Perry project should be over and flushed down the toilet. Say the Packers decide to make a move for Mosley? You have a formidable lb group with hawk, Mosley, Matthews, and peppers while Raji , Daniels and Jolly occupy the DLine . That's not a bad group either.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
You want to keep having "finesse", wirey guys back there on defense?
More Brad Jones, MD Jennings, Morgan Burnett types?
Burnett yes, the other two no. We already have one Burnett, so we don't need another though. Funny, I seem to remember Brad Jones leveling Peterson in a Minnesota game in 2012, and Burnett leading the team and all Safeties in tackles the same year. "Finesse" players can be physical too. The problem is we have too many players (Jones, Lattimore, etc) without any manner of football instincts.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burnett yes, the other two no. We already have one Burnett, so we don't need another though. Funny, I seem to remember Brad Jones leveling Peterson in a Minnesota game in 2012, and Burnett leading the team and all Safeties in tackles the same year. "Finesse" players can be physical too. The problem is we have too many players (Jones, Lattimore, etc) without any manner of football instincts.

I guess it's safe to say our defensive ranks back up that statement. Not a lot of playmakers on the defense. I get excited when they can get stops on. 3rd down because it usually takes them two or three attempts. That has to stop.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I can't disagree with the bold more. I'd MUCH rather move Bakh to C than Sitton, and I don't see either of them moving. I hope Lang and Barclay don't get mixed up into this C fiasco.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I guess it's safe to say our defensive ranks back up that statement. Not a lot of playmakers on the defense. I get excited when they can get stops on 3rd down because it usually takes them two or three attempts. That has to stop.
This. SO much this.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't disagree with the bold more. I'd MUCH rather move Bakh to C than Sitton, and I don't see either of them moving. I hope Lang and Barclay don't get mixed up into this C fiasco.

I can pretty much almost see lang at center and Barclay starting the season at guard. The oline will probably open up this way.

RT -Bulaga
LT- Bak
LG- Sitton
RG- Barclay
C- Lang

Tretter could be in the mix but I anticipate the season starting off this way on the line.

D

Deleted member 6794

I can pretty much almost see lang at center and Barclay starting the season at guard. The oline will probably open up this way.

RT -Bulaga
LT- Bak
LG- Sitton
RG- Barclay
C- Lang

Tretter could be in the mix but I anticipate the season starting off this way on the line.

Once again, the guys on the OL shouldn´t be moved around at all. Right now there´s one starting job available at center, and if Thompson isn´t sure about Tretter being able to handle the job I hope he drafts another one this week to compete with him.

If this results in some reshuffeling on the OL I won´t be happy with it and IMO Thompson would have messed it up by not bringing EDS back.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, the guys on the OL shouldn´t be moved around at all. Right now there´s one starting job available at center, and if Thompson isn´t sure about Tretter being able to handle the job I hope he drafts another one this week to compete with him.

If this results in some reshuffeling on the OL I won´t be happy with it and IMO Thompson would have messed it up by not bringing EDS back.

I have a strong feeling we're going to miss EDS a lot this year.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I dont want to hear the names Perry or Neal as a starting olb ever again.
IMO starting isn’t as important as playing time – like the nickel back and third WR, if their snaps are among the top 11 on their side of the ball, it doesn’t really matter to me whether they’re on the field the first play of the game, they are de facto starters. Whether or not they start, both Perry and Neal will likely see significant PT, so you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. Mike Neal received a $2.5M signing bonus two months ago on a two year $8M contract. Not huge money in the NFL but an obvious indication he isn’t going anywhere. He played in all 16 games last season, had 5 sacks, 1 pass defensed, one INT and Rotoworld has him leading the team in QB hurries last season (not a great source but that passes the eye test IMO). Certainly not a great season but considering he was playing a new position for the first time in the NFL last season I think he showed some real potential.

Perry has certainly been a disappointment but his career has been affected by injuries. We’ve seen flashes of talent - of course that’s not enough but I would like to see him get through at least one season healthy. And he too is signed through the 2015 season, making about $1.1M this year and $1.4M next. No reason not to see if he can get and stay healthy and to see what he can do if he does. And with what I hope and think we’ll see on D this season, both will be used to better take advantage of their talents.

On the OC issue, IMO the worst idea is moving Sitton there. He's playing at a pro bowl level at OG and he's the only one on the OL playing at that level. Leave him there!

Members online

Latest posts