2013 Positional Battle Poll: MD Jennings vs Jerron McMillian

(Barring Injury-facors) WHICH guy is our starting safety by playoff time?

• Total voters

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seen different people predicting each as our regular starting safety opposite Morgan Burnett.

I believe over at JerseyAl, they had McMillian.
Someone else I read thought Jennings, who has some extra time in this system.

Who do you think will win this battle?

Here's some stuff on these guys:
http://lombardiave.com/2013/06/24/g...ron-mcmillian-morgan-burnett-sean-richardson/
With the release of Charles Woodson this offseason, the other starting safety position is up for grabs. At this point, it’s a two-horse race between Jennings and McMillian.

Jennings and McMillian split time at safety last year in Woodson’s absence, and had other playing opportunities in nickel and dime sub-packages throughout the season. Despite their youth, Jennings and McMillian bring a considerable amount of playing experience to the safety position.

They each played nearly 600 snaps for the defense last year, with Jennings slightly edging out McMillian on playing time at safety by approximately 20 snaps. Position coach Darren Perry said both young players had their moments last season, but neither one of them did enough to secure the starting position opposite Burnett.

Both Jennings and McMillian bring a unique skill set to the safety position. Jennings plays with good speed and is reliable in coverage. He did admirably last year in securing the middle of the field and preventing opposing offenses from getting big plays over the top of the defense. Passing plays more than 20 yards allowed by the Green Bay defense dropped from 71 in 2011 to 50 in 2012. It was evident last season that Jennings was already an improvement over Charlie Peprah in coverage, but Jennings still had his share of struggles.

Jennings played undersized, weighing in just shy of 190 pounds. He got his nose in on a lot of tackles (52), but lacked the size and strength to pack a punch when he hit and bring ball carriers down to the ground. This won’t strike any fear into any receivers coming over the middle of the field.

However, Jennings has made it a point this offseason to add weight and strength, so he can play more physically this season. A recent report by Tyler Dunne has Jennings now at 200 pounds, which is a more ideal weight for playing safety in the league. Jennings also said the added weight will help him bring down ball carriers and deliver the big hits you expect from the position.
Jennings is an intelligent player with a good understanding of the defense. With the added weight and another year of experience, Jennings has a good chance at winning the starting safety spot this offseason, but his efforts won’t go unmatched.

Last year, the Packers drafted McMillian in the fourth round replace Nick Collins, who was forced to retire early in 2012 due to a severe neck injury. From the beginning, McMillian seemed poised to be the Packers next big hitting safety, but McMillian’s rookie season was disappointing. He struggled to grasp the playbook, and was out of place in coverage on more than one occasion. He allowed 4-½ passing plays of 20 yards or more. Blown coverage and missed assignments were difficult for Green Bay coaches to stomach, as they went with the more reliable Jennings as the year progressed.

Still, McMillian brings a lot of raw ability to the safety position. He is the most athletic safety on the Packers roster. He has the size, strength, and speed to deliver big hits and make plays on the field. He showed his versatility last year by playing corner at times in dime packages, and proved to be a proficient tackler in run support. Despite his early struggles, the Packers still really like McMillian’s potential. He just needs to be more consistent and prove to his coaches that he can be reliable in coverage.
McMillian will do everything in his power to challenge Jennings for the starting safety spot, and with the two young players giving it their best, the safety competition could turn out to be the most exciting position battle to watch in training camp this year.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mcmillan is closer to Collins in terms of speed, size, and tackle ability..but Jennings seems to have better ball skills. I like Mcmillan because he can tackle better and we are going to need that at safety.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I went with Mac. All else being equal, draft position says a lot. Someone drafted typically has higher upside than an UDFA. I think Doc Jennings had the lead with a year of experience but has about topped out. Mac, with a year in now, should be a much better player.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mcmillan is closer to Collins in terms of speed, size, and tackle ability..but Jennings seems to have better ball skills. I like Mcmillan because he can tackle better and we are going to need that at safety.
Knowing that you called this position a huge question mark in the other thread, I wonder what major deficiencies you see with each player?

To Rizzo's question, I'm slightly on the Jennings side but am really just delighted to have two young guys that are neck and neck at this point. Hopefully one takes a big step forward this year but either way we seem to have good depth at the position.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a rare defensive back that can play well in his first year. I suspect McMillian will be the long term answer. Great hitter.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am really hoping McMillian takes that 1st to 2nd year jump MM always preaches. If this dude didnt have hands of stone he would have snagged as many INTs as Casey Hayward. He flies around the field and another year of experience should have him in the right spots more often than not. If he can get those hands out of the concrete division and even up into plywood status he could anchor down that 2nd safety spot.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Knowing that you called this position a huge question mark in the other thread, I wonder what major deficiencies you see with each player?

To Rizzo's question, I'm slightly on the Jennings side but am really just delighted to have two young guys that are neck and neck at this point. Hopefully one takes a big step forward this year but either way we seem to have good depth at the position.

That's easy...inconsistentcy. Each player has flashed at times and each playe has looked lost. Mcmillan had troubles being in position and Jennings failed to deliver the big hit.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only 10 voters so far?
What are we, Viking fans?

Where is everyone, summer vacation in Europe?
Or do we need to have "Farve" in the title to create controversy/argument?
;)

Members online

Latest posts