2013 packers schedule

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
It is a daunting schedule to say the least. On paper, based on last year's results and working off of only that "given" ... I'd say that MORE than ever, the Pack need to sweep the division above all else. Now granted, Minne, Chicago and Detroit play largely the same schedule (except for two games from what I heard - haven't investigated it) ... I'm just saying that this team has to win the division title, be that at 9-7 / 10-6 ... doesn't matter to me.

I just want to comment quickly on Griffen even though he's not a Packer and honestly, I don't care ... but, it the Redskins put that kid back out there in the same formations as last year, they are just begging to be looking for a franchise QB for the next 10 years.

Now, McCarthy's comments regarding playing again on Thanksgiving. Wish I could have seen the look of pained sarcasm at his press conference when he said this. I love the way he deadpans quotes like this:

"“It’s an incredible tradition, playing on Thanksgiving Day,” McCarthy said. “It’s a blessing for everyone involved. We’re fortunate enough to still be home in time to share in the importance of the day.”"

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a daunting schedule to say the least. On paper, based on last year's results and working off of only that "given" ... I'd say that MORE than ever, the Pack need to sweep the division above all else. Now granted, Minne, Chicago and Detroit play largely the same schedule (except for two games from what I heard - haven't investigated it) ... I'm just saying that this team has to win the division title, be that at 9-7 / 10-6 ... doesn't matter to me.

I just want to comment quickly on Griffen even though he's not a Packer and honestly, I don't care ... but, it the Redskins put that kid back out there in the same formations as last year, they are just begging to be looking for a franchise QB for the next 10 years.

Now, McCarthy's comments regarding playing again on Thanksgiving. Wish I could have seen the look of pained sarcasm at his press conference when he said this. I love the way he deadpans quotes like this:

"“It’s an incredible tradition, playing on Thanksgiving Day,” McCarthy said. “It’s a blessing for everyone involved. We’re fortunate enough to still be home in time to share in the importance of the day.”"
He looks at it as a brutal stretch to get there, but then a mini-bye afterwards. And that's good with their real bye coming so dang early.
I don't like us playing the game at Detroit though, on Turkey day.

toolkien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A week 4 bye helps. The Packers play on Thanksgiving, so there's a mini-bye with the long week after the short week. It might help especially if they get off to a bad start as so many people think they will.

As for the schedule itself, it's tough, and I certainly don't expect any sort of 14-2, 15-1 type season, but the Packers were banged up last year which took some of their potency away, and they STILL were a 12-4 team minus the Fail Mary. I see the Pack, at reasonable health, as about the 4th/5th best team in the league for 2013/2014. As always, they need to hang onto the ball and play their game in the playoffs. Being on the pole position in the past hasn't guaranteed them any hardware, being a small step behind a "shoo-in" doesn't really change the overall likelihood of getting some this year. Gotta stay healthy and hang onto the ball in the playoffs.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First hand knowledge...no more than you. Insight? The proof is in the putting.

Snyder bought the 'Skins in 1999. His pre-RGIII QBs (in order most recent to oldest) have been as follows:

Rex Grossman
John Beck
Donovan McNabb (in decline)
Jason Campbell (longest tenure at 3.5 years starting)
Mark Brunell (in decline)
Pat Ramsey
Tim Hasselbeck
Shane Matthews
Tony Banks
Jeff George
Brad Johnson

None of these guys did squat after departing the Redskins, which should be telling. Snyder didn't throw them to the wolves...other than Campbell who was kind of middle-of-the-road, they each s*cked in succession so he kept trying another. Wouldn't you?

Packer fans are spoiled. One has to go back 20+ years to know what it's like to play without a franchise QB. When stuck in that position, other things must be tried...beef up the D and lean on the running game in the hopes you can hit on a Trent Dilfer moment.

In concept, nothing Snyder has done seems all that radical or particularly dumb given the absence of a franchise QB. I see no reason to believe he'll suddenly get stupid now that he has what he was looking for all along.

Congratulations for listing all the QB's the Redskins have had under Snyder's reign. An easy search would have made that availabl. You could also have listed the # of coaches he had under his tenure. So he had a lot of QB's. Some were over the hill or in decline. But the relevancy of this to throwing to the Wolves escapes me. Yes he has thrown QB's to the Wolves. Jason Campbell went through more coaches and offensive coordinators than probably any QB in the league. He threw who ever he had out there at the QB position and didn't give them the support needed. And he was always instilling confidence ??? in the ones he had by plotting his next QB move.

To say Snyder hasn't done anything radical or dumb in the absence of a franchise QB is totally laughable. Here's a couple of links for you to digest.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/253560-redskins-qb-instabilty

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-biggest-embarrassments-during-dan-snyder-era

So all his misadventures were because he didn't have a QB. That's rich. :roflmao:

It's certainly a better scenario for Packer fans to believe RG III won't play or won't play the way he did. Believe that if it makes you feel better. I have offered some solid proof of the way Snyder and Shananhan think.

And what the hell does us being spoiled at the QB position have to do with the argument.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
He's trying to say Snyder can't be stupid enough to throw the only franchise QB he's ever had, the one he's been looking for since he bought the team, the one he mortgaged his future and went against his HC to draft to the wolves. The failures serve to show how valuable RG3 really is. He's also trying to say that all of Snyder's desperate endeavors have been to compensate for the lack of a franchise QB, once again, emphasizing the value of RG3.

Spoiled at QB is him trying to say that because we've had HOF QB's for 20 years, we don't appreciate the value of having one. Reiterating that Snyder isnt' stupid enough to throw away years of RG3 to try to win a superbowl now. I, like you, simply disagree that Snyder isn't desperate enough to overwhelm his better judgement. Shanahanigan will run RG3 into the ground to try to win the prize now.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's trying to say Snyder can't be stupid enough to throw the only franchise QB he's ever had, the one he's been looking for since he bought the team, the one he mortgaged his future and went against his HC to draft to the wolves. The failures serve to show how valuable RG3 really is. He's also trying to say that all of Snyder's desperate endeavors have been to compensate for the lack of a franchise QB, once again, emphasizing the value of RG3.

Spoiled at QB is him trying to say that because we've had HOF QB's for 20 years, we don't appreciate the value of having one. Reiterating that Snyder isnt' stupid enough to throw away years of RG3 to try to win a superbowl now. I, like you, simply disagree that Snyder isn't desperate enough to overwhelm his better judgement. Shanahanigan will run RG3 into the ground to try to win the prize now.

Valuable post. :tup: I know what he's trying to say and I think I've pretty well rejected that line of thought. ;) As you stated he will run RG III into a wheelchair (damn near did) to win the prize now.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Valuable post. :tup: I know what he's trying to say and I've given arguments why Snyder as you say will do exactly as you said. He will run RG III into a wheelchair (damn near did) to win the prize now.
I'm still not convinced Shanahanigans isn't purposely jeopardizing RG3's career in order to put the guy he actually wanted (Cousins) into office

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have relatives and friends that hate both Snyder and the Shenanigans. They long so much for the time when there was a stable organizational structure. They think Dan Snyder has driven the franchise into oblivion with his dumb *** moves and impatience.

H

HardRightEdge

Actually, I wasn't trying to say that. I actually said it.;) Well, almost.

I think Packer fans appreciate the value of a franchise QB. What makes them spoiled (some of them anyway, evidently) is not appreciating how hard it is to find one. I also don't think it is fully appreciate in some quarters how mediocre-to-lousy this Packer team would be if, for example, Jason Campbell (or worse, Grossman, Beck, McNabb, etc., etc.) was our QB, and how quickly he'd be replaced if he were.

H

HardRightEdge

Valuable post. :tup: I know what he's trying to say and I think I've pretty well rejected that line of thought. ;) As you stated he will run RG III into a wheelchair (damn near did) to win the prize now.

I reject your rejection. Let's revisit this issue after Week 2. In the meantime, I expect Washington will be installing the other half of their pro set offense, the half they skipped over for the rookie.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I reject your rejection. Let's revisit this issue after Week 2. In the meantime, I expect Washington will be installing the other half of their pro set offense, the half they skipped over for the rookie.

You've made a lot of assumptions. I'd just like to see you trot out some evidence for them.
I'm still not convinced Shanahanigans isn't purposely jeopardizing RG3's career in order to put the guy he actually wanted (Cousins) into office

Or one could say that the Shenningans knew they were installing an offense that was of high risk to the QB and knew he would have a short shelf life thus needing a backup..

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, the record doesn't matter as much as long as we win our division. If we can do that while playing the best teams all season, it only makes us a stronger contender in the playoffs.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My forecast

Week 1 at Niners LOSE 30-21
Week 2 RED-skins WIN 35-20
Week 3 at Bengals WIN 28-20
Week 4 Bye
Week 5 Lions WIN 28-13
Week 6 at Ravens WIN 28-16
Week 7 Browns WIN 42-0
Week 8 at Vikes WIN 28-17
Week 9 Bears WIN 35-20
Week 10 Eagles WIN 35-10
Week 11 at Giants LOSE 23-21 (Crosby misses FG as time expires, wide left)
Week 12 Vikes WIN 35-0
Week 13 at Detroit (Thanksgiving) WIN 28-27
Week 14 Falcons LOSE 23-21 (Crosby hooks FG as time expires, wide right)
Week 15 at Dallas WIN 35-30
Week 16 Steelers WIN 28-20
Week 17 at Bears WIN 21-20

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

Difference in the schedules. All North teams play the same teams except these games.

Green Bay - San Fran, Atlanta
Minnesota - Seattle, Carolina
Chicago - St. Louis, New Orleans
Detroit - Arizona, Tampa

So while the Packers have the tougher schedule right now based on last years won/lost record, it's likely to change by the first quarter of the season.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Difference in the schedules. All North teams play the same teams except these games.

Green Bay - San Fran, Atlanta
Minnesota - Seattle, Carolina
Chicago - St. Louis, New Orleans
Detroit - Arizona, Tampa

So while the Packers have the tougher schedule right now based on last years won/lost record, it's likely to change by the first quarter of the season.

Seems to happen every year, doesn't it? The speculation on how a team will perform based on last year's records is largely an effort in futility ... but it sure can make a lot people groan, can't it? :)

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Seems to happen every year, doesn't it? The speculation on how a team will perform based on last year's records is largely an effort in futility ... but it sure can make a lot people groan, can't it? :)
Any or the top three, MN, Green Bay or Chicago could really end up having the toughest schedule this year. Because any of the "odd" teams they play could be better than the others. That make sense? We won't know till the end of the year that's for sure.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I just don't agree with the methods used to determine the SOS. Adding up wins and losses doesn't reflect how hard the schedule truly is.
Example, you need to win 3 of 4 games to get in to the playoffs. Would you rather play 4 teams that are @ .500 or 2 undefeated teams and 2 teams without a win? Still same SOS.
I give one point for teams 2 or more wins over .500, none for .500 +1 -2, and subtract 1/2 for teams less than that. That is more reflective of the difficulty in my world.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see 12-4 for the Pack based on the schedule released. It'll be a REAL rough start either 0-3 or 1-2 by the bye week. I need the D to show something against Frisco before I can give the Packers the win there. I'm 50/50 on a win or loss to Washington, it depends on RG3's health/performance in pre-season. If he's healthy this could be another game like the 49ers playoff game. The game I KNOW we're gonna lose 100% for sure in those early weeks is Cincy. With that offense they're gonna light our D up like the Griswold house during Christmas!

Good news is, based on where we play certain teams (We own the Giants in NY) I really don't see us losing a game after Baltimore.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts