2013 Compensatory Picks Announced

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Well Flynn was a backup all season

They consider salary, performance and post season awards. Evidently performance is weighted a bit more than I would have thought relative to salary (I expected a 4th. rounder based on Flynn's contract) or Saturday's bogus Pro Bowl berth cost us a notch on that one pick.

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear you- Saturday getting a pro bowl berth as a net gain that mitigates the loss of Flynn as a high value player. Interesting thought, especially since we released him this offseason so he could sign a one day deal to retire a Colt!

Gotta think we're going to be in prime position for some good picks of the compensatory next spring after the exodus of guys who have signed big deals this offseason (Walden, Jennings, possible Brad Jones), especially if any of those guys earn some big honours...

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

The 49ers now have 17 picks. In other news the NFL is considering renaming April's draft the "San Francisco 49ers Invitational"

Logic dictates either they're going to (1) clean house in the bottom of the roster or (2) package a bunch of picks for picks next season or (3) package a bunch of picks to move up this year.

I'd figure (2) or (3) or a combination of the two. If they have they have their eye on a Justin Smith successor, then (3) for sure.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. They used few of last years picks on the roster, and I can see them moving a lot of picks to move up rather than pay 17 players for getting drafted. They really can move up well and get some prime picks.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Logic dictates either they're going to (1) clean house in the bottom of the roster or (2) package a bunch of picks for picks next season or (3) package a bunch of picks to move up this year.

I'd figure (2) or (3) or a combination of the two. If they have they have their eye on a Justin Smith successor, then (3) for sure.

If this was a top heavy draft they could do some damage.

I wonder if the number of picks has changed their strategy ...

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I see starters but not pro bowlers. Maybe 1, but who knows about his health concerns

You could argue, as Mayock has, that there is not much top-10 worthy talent at any position in this draft...the picks there will be reaches. However, there will a Pro Bowl player among those D-Lineman, Lotulelie's health notwithstanding.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You could argue, as Mayock has, that there is not much top-10 worthy talent at any position in this draft...the picks there will be reaches. However, there will a Pro Bowl player among those D-Lineman, Lotulelie's health notwithstanding.

I should have said all pro. The pro bowl is kind of a sham at this point for some players at some points.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

I should have said all pro. The pro bowl is kind of a sham at this point for some players at some points.

Everybody knows the Pro Bowl is a sham. When people say "Pro Bowl" they mean "Pro Bowl quality", or in other words among the best six at their position, perhaps not every year but in the hunt over an extended period.

At least that's what thinking people mean.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Here are the picks Thompson and staff go into the draft with. Round and overall pick:

1- #26
2- #55
3- #88
4- #122
5- #159
5- #167 compensation pick
6- #193
7- #232

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here are the picks Thompson and staff go into the draft with. Round and overall pick:

1- #26
2- #55
3- #88
4- #122
5- #159
5- #167 compensation pick
6- #193
7- #232

Sad honestly...was really hoping Flynn would start and play well and we'd probably be looking at a 4th rounder. Oh well, I look for TT to honestly shed the #26 pick unless he's in love with someone and pick us up maybe a 2nd, 4th and 5th/6th type trade to someone. It's frustrating to trade back so much but it makes the most sense at times, can't wait to see how it unfolds. **Could you imagine if you gave TT 17 picks like San Fran has? Oh my word we'd be in heaven!

Members online

Latest posts