2012 Packers salaries

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers and Woodson are the 1% on our team. 25% of our cap is tied up in defensive backs. Most importantly, if you've got a last name starting with the letter "R" you have a high probability of making $$ on the Packers team. Guys with a last name starting with "Z" have the lowest cap number (Zombo).

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jesus. I wanna puke

Yeah A.J. Hawk's contract is pretty awful alright. And even if we wanted to trade him to get rid of him, what team would accept him having to take on that salary?

Woodson's salary is another thing that worries me. I mean yeah, Woodson is great but he's 35 years old and he's being paid top dollar until 2014. That's a ton of money for a DB who will be 38 years old by that time.

shield4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson doesn't worry me too much, he can still play ... and it's finished after 2014 ... It's A.J's contract that worries me because he needs to start performing or else ...

D

Dan115

Woodson doesn't worry me too much, he can still play ... and it's finished after 2014 ... It's A.J's contract that worries me because he needs to start performing or else ...

WHY did The Packers give AJ that big contract? What did they see?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trade AJ to Cleveland. Tell Holmgren they will name another street or ten after him for pulling the trigger.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't matter what the cap is as long as it covers the guys on the team Thompson wants to keep. He won't be spending any of that cap in free agency.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
If stats is for losers then that means the NFLPA wouldn't make what they make + bonuses. It's the stats that get them their $$$$$$$& bonuses Belickick. & those stats for NE that are good help u get the $$$$$$$ that ur making

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver may not be worth 5M but I'd still like to have him back. Even if they have to do to him what they did to TP A.J. Which is drop him so they wouldn't owe him 10M. Resigned him the next day. Drop Driver then sign him for a 1 yr. 1M + incentives

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You could get rid of Hawk Clifton and Driver and I doubt the product on the field would see much of a difference

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO Hawk is Thompson’s worst signing in Green Bay. I was surprised by his contract last year but if they thought he was the “glue” holding the D together, or was important for the D’s chemistry I understood it. And he was good enough to win a title with. I think they liked him because he calls the plays and knows the defense so well. Another reason he got so much was in the small window of time he was a UFA, it was reported several teams expressed interest. But this past season he failed to force a single turnover. Pro Football Focus rated him as the 35th best 3-4 inside LB. Considering the number of teams which don’t run the 3-4, that just plain sucks and unfortunately IMO the “eyeball test” confirmed that. BTW, when discussing the 2011 play of other Packers defenders some have brought up the absence of Jenkins and Collins as mitigating factors (also known at times as “excuses”). I’m just mentioning that to say to be fair if you apply that “reasoning” to other players, you should also apply it to Hawk’s play.

Hawk’s base salary for 2012 is $4.4M and he will count $ 6.531M against the cap. He signed a 5-year contract which included an $8M signing bonus. (BTW, he was due $10M in 2011 per his rookie deal.) That means if he is waived, $6.4M accelerates to the cap (4 years of $1.6M per year acceleration). However, since his 2012 cap number is higher, the result would be a tiny cap savings in NFL terms. But they would of course save the $4.4M cash. Thompson may not want to set the precedent of waiving a player one season after he signs a 5-year deal since that may make Green Bay less attractive to players. But IMO getting Hawk’s deal off the books outweighs that since they have an adequate and much, much cheaper replacement for him.

It looks to me like Clifton was kept one season too long. It’s understandable because of need and I supported it last year but IMO it’s clear he’s done. Driver is a harder case mostly because he’s so well loved among Packers fans and he brings intangibles to the locker room and field. But setting emotion aside I think it makes sense to waive him, too. I recently read a blurb about how good Gurley looked in practice last year. Even if Driver has a year or two left as a 4th or 5th WR, I think it makes sense to let him go, too.

D

Dan115

IMO Hawk is Thompson’s worst signing in Green Bay. I was surprised by his contract last year but if they thought he was the “glue” holding the D together, or was important for the D’s chemistry I understood it. And he was good enough to win a title with. I think they liked him because he calls the plays and knows the defense so well. Another reason he got so much was in the small window of time he was a UFA, it was reported several teams expressed interest. But this past season he failed to force a single turnover. Pro Football Focus rated him as the 35th best 3-4 inside LB. Considering the number of teams which don’t run the 3-4, that just plain sucks and unfortunately IMO the “eyeball test” confirmed that. BTW, when discussing the 2011 play of other Packers defenders some have brought up the absence of Jenkins and Collins as mitigating factors (also known at times as “excuses”). I’m just mentioning that to say to be fair if you apply that “reasoning” to other players, you should also apply it to Hawk’s play.

Hawk’s base salary for 2012 is $4.4M and he will count $ 6.531M against the cap. He signed a 5-year contract which included an $8M signing bonus. (BTW, he was due $10M in 2011 per his rookie deal.) That means if he is waived, $6.4M accelerates to the cap (4 years of $1.6M per year acceleration). However, since his 2012 cap number is higher, the result would be a tiny cap savings in NFL terms. But they would of course save the $4.4M cash. Thompson may not want to set the precedent of waiving a player one season after he signs a 5-year deal since that may make Green Bay less attractive to players. But IMO getting Hawk’s deal off the books outweighs that since they have an adequate and much, much cheaper replacement for him.

It looks to me like Clifton was kept one season too long. It’s understandable because of need and I supported it last year but IMO it’s clear he’s done. Driver is a harder case mostly because he’s so well loved among Packers fans and he brings intangibles to the locker room and field. But setting emotion aside I think it makes sense to waive him, too. I recently read a blurb about how good Gurley looked in practice last year. Even if Driver has a year or two left as a 4th or 5th WR, I think it makes sense to let him go, too.

What if Driver is willing to take a pay cut?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Dan115, that was quoting an awful lot to ask one question! ;) Even if Driver takes a pay cut he would be keeping a younger player off the roster. At some point no matter the reduced cost/cap hit, I think it’s time to move on. I don’t think they’ll waive Driver but IMO that would be the emotionless and smart move. I’m certainly not saying he can’t contribute for another year or two. And I’m not saying it would be a huge mistake to keep him. But the Packers have his replacement on the roster in Cobb and they had two youngsters at WR on the practice squad they bent over backward to keep.

IMO an older player has to be a difference maker, like Charles Woodson, to be the exception to the rule. And because of the incredible depth at WR, Driver isn’t that difference maker IMO.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Thompson overestimated several players going into this season and underestimated the past contributions of both Jenkins and Barnett. I would love to see Hawk go somewhere else. He is Baaaaaad! Unfortunately, I don't see it happening. Other teams see the same thing we do. We're stuck like Chuck with him. :(

I also agree we need to move on without Driver.

D

Dan115

OK no quote. Did you read yesterdays article in the Press Gazette about Driver? Not my opinion---- just trying to figure out what The Packers are going to do.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree, I think it's time to move on from driver.

The one thing they will miss is his ability as the hands team during on side kicks. Typically though 4th and 5th WRs play alot of Special Teams and I just dont know if that's the spot for DD anymore.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I just read that article on Driver. I saw the headline before but just assumed he'd take a pay cut. Like I said, I don't think it would be a huge mistake to keep him, just a small one. Also, I don't think they'll waive Hawk but I think they should. Clifton is the only one of the three I expect to be gone.

D

Dan115

I just read that article on Driver. I saw the headline before but just assumed he'd take a pay cut. Like I said, I don't think it would be a huge mistake to keep him, just a small one. Also, I don't think they'll waive Hawk but I think they should. Clifton is the only one of the three I expect to be gone.

I think Grant will be gone. Maybe Green will be released also.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts