2012 Draft - Round 5, Pick 28, Overall 163 - Terrell Manning, OLB, N.C. State

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
We got ***** on this pick, everything we had left, and we didn even pick up a center or qb? I cry :cry: this kid had better work out.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Situational pass rusher probably, comes in at 237 lbs. which is kida small. Some scouts are wondering about him possibly switching to an ILB in the 3-4. Good value though, reminds me of Bruce Irvin only 5 rounds later. Haha

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Lol calm down. We still have two 7ths left and whatever UFA's we wanna pick up.
Lol i'm calm, I trust TT with my life in the late rounds. I just don't see his reasoning yet. We have perry the pass rush, so this kid was unnecessary. I'll admit it, I wanted Brewster or Molk. I come home from work digging ditches to find disappointment. Hopefully I can get some humble pie for desert. chances are we cut this guy though

PackerChef

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow... I don't get all the hate for a player... he's been a member of the Pack for ten minutes and people already want to cut him? I think that he'll looks really good as an ILB prospect... it's a prudent move to provide depth at a position that doesn't have an great amount of quality depth.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Wow... I don't get all the hate for a player... he's been a member of the Pack for ten minutes and people already want to cut him? I think that he'll looks really good as an ILB prospect... it's a prudent move to provide depth at a position that doesn't have an great amount of quality depth.
I dont WANT to cut him, I EXPECT to cut him, huge difference. And What are you talking about ILB for, we have great depth there its just one of our starters who needs to go. Olb back-ups are... shall we say, sufficient?

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol i'm calm, I trust TT with my life in the late rounds. I just don't see his reasoning yet. We have perry the pass rush, so this kid was unnecessary. I'll admit it, I wanted Brewster or Molk. I come home from work digging ditches to find disappointment. Hopefully I can get some humble pie for desert. chances are we cut this guy though
Can't have enough pass rush depth. Look at the Giants.

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SCOUTING REPORT:

From NFL.com:

STRENGTHSManning reads and works off the movements of offensive linemen well. He excels as a run defender where he has the strength hold his ground and keep plays inside of him, or rework back out to run down ball carriers. He takes on blocks well and shows obvious strength when shedding them. He is aware of his size and keeps himself clean of blocks consistently, and is a physical player who can maul tight ends when aligned over them to disrupt their timing. He has a good short area burst to close on the ball and displays the body control to keep his feet churning. He is productive in the backfield, with four sacks and 12 tackles for loss in 2011.WEAKNESSESManning has a decent frame but could have trouble getting the same type of production as an edge rusher at 230 pounds in the NFL. He doesn’t show the same burst when chasing down runs to the outside that he does in short areas in the backfield, and he will have trouble keeping faster runners inside. He is only average in both zone and man coverage, and often looks stiff in his hips.
COMMENTARY:Manning is officially listed as a 4-3 outside linebacker, but he is one of the guys I was told that could be converted to an inside linebacker in the Packers’ 3-4 defense.

From: http://jerseyal.com/GBP/2012/04/28/...fifth-round-pick-terrell-manning-lb-nc-state/

PackersDraft

Draftnik
Reaction score
I dont WANT to cut him, I EXPECT to cut him, huge difference. And What are you talking about ILB for, we have great depth there its just one of our starters who needs to go. Olb back-ups are... shall we say, sufficient?
He will play ILB. This kid has potential. So much value. Could have gone in the third round. Competition is great. Maybe he will surprise us and start over Hawk. If TT traded up 30 picks this late in the draft to get someone he wanted, he must have saw something in this kid.

PackerChef

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChef said:
Wow... I don't get all the hate for a player... he's been a member of the Pack for ten minutes and people already want to cut him? I think that he'll looks really good as an ILB prospect... it's a prudent move to provide depth at a position that doesn't have an great amount of quality depth.​

I guess I just see Robert Francois as just a guy... Did well when called upon, but not somebody irreplaceable... Also I'm not happy with our OLB backups either... I like the pick to up the competition... I expect that he makes the team, at the expense of Francois or one of our extremely average OLB backups...

Would I have prefered Polk or a Center prospect... absolutely, but I do really like the value of manning at this point in the draft.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I guess I just see Robert Francois as just a guy... Did well when called upon, but not somebody irreplaceable... Also I'm not happy with our OLB backups either... I like the pick to up the competition... I expect that he makes the team, at the expense of Francois or one of our extremely average OLB backups...

Would I have prefered Polk or a Center prospect... absolutely, but I do really like the value of manning at this point in the draft.
Polk would be just another guy; we don't need more NS runners. Perry contingency plan wasn't a bad idea and competition is never bad

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I though Francois did pretty damn well

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Hopefully a center, most likely any worth picking will be gone. Don't really care about back up qb, Harrell will probably beat anybody we get anyway. I expect another cb. Hoping next year we take an E-W RB, a FS, and a C.

PackersDraft

Draftnik
Reaction score
This is someone to get excited about. When Ted trades up 30 picks to get someone this late it means he really likes them. He sees him as a potential starter.

It almost seems like with all of these picks he didn't think our defense was that good last year... ;)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
To echo what PackersDraft posted, IMO the best reason to be optimistic about this kid is Thompson and staff determined he was worth the trade-up. Regarding his size, if he is an ILB he’s listed at the same height and one pound lighter than Bishop, same height as Lattimore and heavier, and 3 inches taller than DJ Smith and two pounds lighter. I mention this only regarding his size for ILB.

Also as already mentioned, Thompson and staff are very good at finding UFDAs who contribute. I believe the average is something like 1 per year sticking on the roster. And of course they have two seventh rounders to pick too. So I suggest fellow Packers not to be too disappointed about the lack of an OL, RB or QB until you see the entire class.

In response to Chad Reuter’s mock draft (which I posted) this week, I commented, “I’ll be amazed if the first 5 picks are on the defensive side of the ball. Not disappointed, but amazed.” Mea culpa as we’re at 6 defenders and counting. Color me amazed ... but not disappointed.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I was hoping for a center or RB, but I like this pick a lot. Puts some competition behind Hawk.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts