2012 Draft - Round 2, Pick 19, Overall 51 - Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State

KYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was hoping this was the guy we moved up to get. A couple of Mocks had us taking him in RD1...looks like he can be a formidable 3-4 DE and maybe slide to NT when Raji needs a breather.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great pick. I know he is a hot/cold type player. Hopefully we can get this kid motivated and have him be a great pick up.

PalmettoPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good pick who played under a good defensive coach in Dantonio. I love that we've picked up 2 guys to help with a pass rush. Need some secondary help next IMO

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Jerel Worthy Scouting Report

Position: DT
Conference: Big10
School: Michigan State Spartans
Year/Status: Junior
Jersey Number: #99
Height & Weight: 6'3 - 310 lbs.
Draft Prediction: Second Round
Ranked #30 on our Top 100 Prospects Board
Drafted 2.19 in 2012 by GB
2012 NFL Combine Results
40-Yard Dash 5.08
Vertical jump 28.5
Broad jump 8'11
Three-cone drill 7.60
20-yard shuttle 4.56
See All Combine Results

2012 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:
Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State

Worthy's progression over the last few seasons is subtle. What fans should know is that although his numbers don't jump off the page, his role in Michigan State's defense is vital. In the beginning of his career, Worthy was free to pass rush and penetrate the line in what is usually called the off-tackle position (or under tackle).

At this point in his career (as the team's most dominant defensive lineman), his job is to occupy double teams, seal off running and passing lanes, take up space and hold ground at the point of attack.No, it's not a glamorous job, but it allows his fellow lineman and other blitzers to get after the play. Offenses know if they didn't double team him, he'd blow the play up more often than not.

Most evaluations miss this change in assignment and see a guy who doesn't penetrate, doesn't get in the backfield, doesn't make impact plays, etc. But the role of a defensive tackle isn't necessarily to be involved in that more than a couple times per game.

Worthy does all his new tasks very well. He shows a great explosion off the line and is strong enough in his upper body to grab a player with one arm and, all in one motion, bring the ball-carrier into his chest and down to the ground.

When he does pass rush, he shows a good bull rush, swim move, and rip move. Worthy will make a great fit at either defensive tackle positions in a 4-3 defense. His development leans more toward him slimming down to be a 3-4 DE rather than a bulked up 3-4 NT. It really depends upon which team selects him.

All in all, Worthy is a very good prospect with a great diversity to his game that opposing offenses respect. His combination of athleticism and brute physicality will be a highly appreciated set of commodities.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Good pick who played under a good defensive coach in Dantonio. I love that we've picked up 2 guys to help with a pass rush. Need some secondary help next IMO

I feel as do others that if the pass rush is there, our secondary gets better..Thats just a theory though..Now with nick gone, might not be as true

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was hoping this was the guy we moved up to get. A couple of Mocks had us taking him in RD1....
Including mine on April 19th as I heard that we liked Worthy a lot.

POSITIONS - DT
PlayerSchoolTeamRoundPickGrade
Fletcher Cox Mississippi State Eagles 1 12 (12) 3.33
Dontari Poe Memphis Chiefs 1 11 (11) 3.28
Michael Brockers LSU Rams 1 14 (14) 3.19
Kendall Reyes Connecticut Chargers 2 17 (49) 3.03
Jerel Worthy Michigan State Packers 2 19 (51) 2.98
Brandon Thompson Clemson 2.93
Devon Still Penn State Bengals 2 21 (53) 2.92
Alameda Ta'amu Washington 2.90
Mike Martin Michigan 2.69
Derek Wolfe Cincinnati Broncos 2 4 (36) 2.63
Jaye Howard Florida 2.55
Billy Winn Boise State 2.53
DaJohn Harris USC 2.50
Josh Chapman Alabama 2.49

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2012/breakdowns/by_position/DT.html#ixzz1tIHkTz4g

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love it. Im a Big Ten fan

Yep yep- this one continues to grow on me.

As a Badger fan, I hated the guy on that Spartan D, which probably speaks to his talent in disrupting an offense. He does has a nasty streak that may border on petulant (ala Ndamakong Sue) but you need that in your defense. I think he really bolsters the rotation up front.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...aft-hot-100-25-final-ranking-of-top-prospects

• You must be logged in to see this image or video!
  • By Gil Brandt NFL.com Senior Analyst
1. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford (1)
2. Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor (2)
3. Matt Kalil, OT, USC (3)
4. Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M (6)
5. Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama (5)
6. Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU (7)
7. Melvin Ingram, OLB/DE, South Carolina (8)
8. Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina (4)
9. Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa (10)
10. Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State (20)
11. Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College (9)
12. Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama (11)
13. Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State (13)
14. Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame (12)
15. Michael Brockers, DT, LSU (14)
16. Courtney Upshaw, DE/OLB, Alabama (16)
17. David DeCastro, OG, Stanford (15)
18. Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis (17)
19. Mark Barron, S, Alabama (19)
20. Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina (25)
21. Nick Perry, OLB/DE, USC (23)
22. Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama (18)
23. Jerel Worthy, DT/DE, Michigan State (25)

We got both guys!
Plus a super CB prospect with our 3rd pick!
And I think we have 2 4th round comp picks still.....
Teddy has turned all that Quantity into some serious Quality! And at positions we NEEDED immediate upgrades.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love the move to get this kid...from what I hear at this point he would be a rotational player. All the analysts on ESPN said he should have stayed in college another year...so he will take time to get his body/fundamentals right. But I think from day one he can be worked into the rotation.

On passing downs we now have...CM3 LOLB...Raji/Worthy/Hargrove DT...Perry LOLB. Plus whatever we might get from guys like So'Oto and Lattimore who are still unknowns at this point. I think we're in a much better position now than two days ago!

Reaction score
21. Nick Perry, OLB/DE, USC (23)
22. Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama (18)
23. Jerel Worthy, DT/DE, Michigan State (25)

We got both guys!
Plus a super CB prospect with our 3rd pick!
And I think we have 2 4th round comp picks still.....
Teddy has turned all that Quantity into some serious Quality! And at positions we NEEDED immediate upgrades.
It is almost deja vu! It's just like the Packers back in '09 getting the Matthews/Raji tandem! Now we get another OLB/DT tandem? This is exciting!

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Great pick. Pass rush, pass rush, pass rush!! Can't stress that enough. I'm liking this draft so far . .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts