2011 Regular season LB depth chart prediction

PackersATW

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This group probably the most unpredictable of all the Packers personel groups. This lineup assumes that AJ Hawk will not restructure his contract and the Packers waive him. Ted Thompson will not pay him 10 mill for one year considering all the other $ tied up in the linebackers. If the Packers do work something out with Hawk, he will start and the Packers will try to trade Barnett.

Last year Thompson kept 4 TE, I say he cuts that by one and keeps another LB (Poppinga) or ILB draft pick
2011 Prediction

OLB Clay Matthews
ILB Desmond Bishop
ILB Nick Barnett
OLB Erik Walden

Reserves:

Brandon Chillar
Frank Zombo
Brad Jones
Brady Poppinga or ILB draft pick/undrafted free agent

Here's a look back to last years opening day lineup
2010 Opening Day

OLB Clay Matthews
ILB Brandon Chillar
ILB Nick Barnett
OLB Brad Jones

Reserves:

AJ Hawk
Desmond Bishop
Frank Zombo

Whatdya all think?

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way does Hawk get away, he is smart, will restructure and Twitter boy Barnett will be flying the coop.

I say they take a stud OLB in the draft by moving up and taking Von Miller or pick one up via FA.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd keep Hawk. Barnett's tweeting and samurai dance after tackling somebody after a 3 yard run is getting old.

I'd keep Hawk over Barnett but I'd prefer both. I always thought Barnett was miscast as an undersized ILB and with his pursuit speed could be the answer opposite Clay.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When healthy I would take Barnett any day but hawk is less of a pain in the lockerroom and he is more likely to stay healthy it seems.

OP
OP
P

PackersATW

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I can ever picture in my mind when I hear Barnett is him not dropping deep enough on a certain 4th and 26.

That was so very painful. But I think if Barnett had the 2nd full season with Capers you would have seen some great things from #56.

Not my favorite player by far but I think he gets a bad rap from that Twitter flap and all, he seems to be a pretty loyal Packer as far as I can see :)

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I can remember is favre blowing another game with a terrible INT when I think of that game.
It's weird how seeing things can remind somebody one particular instance. Like when I see the St. Louis Rams I always think of Favre's 6 ints in the playoffs.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's weird how seeing things can remind somebody one particular instance. Like when I see the St. Louis Rams I always think of Favre's 6 ints in the playoffs.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itz-IrptWNU&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Brett Favre - The Definition of Insanity[/ame]

OP
OP
P

PackersATW

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know whether to laugh, cry, pull my hair out, or gouge my eyeballs. The worst was the Rams INT. Totally reprehensible on his part.

Calhoun Lambeau

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know where this idea that AJ Hawk will 'restructure his deal' came from. AJ Hawk wants big money, and because he's proven to work well in a 43 and 34, he can get it somewhere, especially after a SB run. GB isn't going to pay for Hawk. He's a goner.

I can only hope we draft a top end rush linebacker so we don't have to start Brad Jones, Erik Walden, or Frank Zombo next season.

Rotation

ILB - Barnett, Bishop, Chillar, Rookie
OLB - Matthews, Jones, Rookie, Walden, Zombo

I think the ROLB issue depends on the draft. I would assume Jones has the edge to start next year, but who knows.

PackerChef

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know where this idea that AJ Hawk will 'restructure his deal' came from. AJ Hawk wants big money, and because he's proven to work well in a 43 and 34, he can get it somewhere, especially after a SB run. GB isn't going to pay for Hawk. He's a goner.

I'm not sure where you get that impression... In interviews he seems unsure of his future primarily because he isn't sure if he is in the Packers plans. I think (and this is purely conjecture) that if TT makes him a reasonable offer, he will take it. Now I'm not saying he'll take the vet min, but I think a similar deal to Bishop (maybe slightly more) would be plenty to lock him up.

Members online

Latest posts