2011 Draft

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know we're in the middle of a season in which we could have an earlier pick, or could have a late pick (hopefully the last) but what are some names of guys you are looking forward to maybe being Packers next year? LaMichael James from Oregon is a dream of mine, I would love to see him on our squad, any other guys you have watched that get you excited?

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know we're in the middle of a season in which we could have an earlier pick, or could have a late pick (hopefully the last) but what are some names of guys you are looking forward to maybe being Packers next year? LaMichael James from Oregon is a dream of mine, I would love to see him on our squad, any other guys you have watched that get you excited?

I will take the realistic approach thus far and go with the choice of a senior player simply because there is no lock that any of the underclassmen will declare...yet.

Also, with our 4-3 record, I can assume as of this point we are in the middle of the 1st round...between 15 and 20 somewhere.

So given this information and conjecture, I would love to see one of the following players with this pick:

CB Curtis Brown - Texas
CB Ras-I Dowling - Virginia
OT Nate Solder - Colorado

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there is a lockout then we wont have 1/2 as many underclassmen coming out.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not really keeping track, but we'll get a double draft class next year.
NINE playes on IR this year are coming back. That is ridiculous.

Reaction score
Best player available at one of the following positions:

OT
OG
RB
WR
OLB
ILB

These are all positions where we could plug in a good player to start immediately (assuming the IR guys come back healthy)

I would put Cb's as my main priority. We need to start developing Cb's while Woodson and Harris are still playing so when they retire they will make a smooth transition. Next the entire O line. After that fill it With Outside linebackers and pass rushers. Then we need players who can play special teams. If we can get that in the 2011 draft i see no way of stopping the packers for a decade.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I want an OLB first pick. Jones, Zombo, and Poppinga aren't the answer. maybe this guy.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzZUA5CZ6IQ"]YouTube - Mark Herzlich #94[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1t0k4EGKJQ&feature=related"]YouTube - Mark Herzlich Tribute[/ame]

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want an OLB first pick. Jones, Zombo, and Poppinga aren't the answer. maybe this guy.

Herzlich is a good LB, but I do not think he is fast enough to play the edge in the 3-4. If you look at the best OLBs in the 3-4, they were typically over 240 and ran in the 4.6s range. Herzlich runs an estimated 4.75, making him one of the slowest OLBs available as seniors this year. I would prefer to see a guy with more speed for that rush end position. And if you don't think it matters, consider Matthews' mid 4.5 speed and the edge it gives him around the corner.

So who fits the mold as a DE/LB over 240 and runs at LEAST in the 4.6 second range?

Well, considering that now Jr/So have declared YET, I will choose from the Seniors available.

2nd round - Kelvin Sheppherd, LSU, 6-2, 240, 4.64
3rd round - K.J. Wright, Miss St., 6-3, 250, 4.68
6th round - Markus White, FSU, 6-4, 262, 4.69
7th round - Scott Lutrus, Uconn, 6-3, 245, 4.68

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't analyze pass rushers coming from college. Just can't. Everette Brown seemed like the best one in 09, with his quick moves, with Orakpo being too stiff to work in space, and last year, I thought for sure Huges and Graham would be the better ones...

Reaction score
I can't analyze pass rushers coming from college. Just can't. Everette Brown seemed like the best one in 09, with his quick moves, with Orakpo being too stiff to work in space, and last year, I thought for sure Huges and Graham would be the better ones...

I knew Orakpo was going to be good. He is a physical specimen. I wanted him that year with our first round 9th pick. Instead we got Raji and Matthews which is paying dividends for us. Orakpo and Matthews are the best young pass rushers out there that i've seen.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGUc3UL64f0"]YouTube - Sports Center profiles Texas Longhorns DE Brian Orakpo[/ame]

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Brown was FAR from the best rusher that year even before the draft. In fact, that year was full of fool's gold for rushers. Brown was fast and quick off the line, but couldn't change directions and wasn't explosive enough for his size. Maybin didn't have great COD as well, but was also SLOW for a rush end. Ayers had no explosion what-so-ever AND couldn't change directions quickly.

Even if you just look at the numbers, Orakpo had everything you need as far as the physical aspect for a rush end or OLB in the 3-4. He had size (263lb), speed (4.63s), straight line acceleration (1.56s), explosion (39.5in), and the best COD of any of the guys listed in that bunch with a 7.26s 3-cone drill. The next best, BTW, was 7.52 by Maybin for reference.

So this year if you want an OLB to rush the passer, look for a guy with some weight (240+ lb), speed (4.69s or better 40), initial quickness (1.60s 10yd or better), explosion (35+in vertical), and change-of-direction (7.30s 3-cone drill).

Oh and in case you were wondering, Matthews had it all. 240lbs, 4.58 40yd, 1.49 10yd, 35.5 vertical, and an AMAZING 6.90 3-cone time...better than many RBs...including Adrian Peterson (7.08 ).

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brown was FAR from the best rusher that year even before the draft. In fact, that year was full of fool's gold for rushers. Brown was fast and quick off the line, but couldn't change directions and wasn't explosive enough for his size. Maybin didn't have great COD as well, but was also SLOW for a rush end. Ayers had no explosion what-so-ever AND couldn't change directions quickly.

Even if you just look at the numbers, Orakpo had everything you need as far as the physical aspect for a rush end or OLB in the 3-4. He had size (263lb), speed (4.63s), straight line acceleration (1.56s), explosion (39.5in), and the best COD of any of the guys listed in that bunch with a 7.26s 3-cone drill. The next best, BTW, was 7.52 by Maybin for reference.

So this year if you want an OLB to rush the passer, look for a guy with some weight (240+ lb), speed (4.69s or better 40), initial quickness (1.60s 10yd or better), explosion (35+in vertical), and change-of-direction (7.30s 3-cone drill).

Oh and in case you were wondering, Matthews had it all. 240lbs, 4.58 40yd, 1.49 10yd, 35.5 vertical, and an AMAZING 6.90 3-cone time...better than many RBs...including Adrian Peterson (7.08 ).
Yeah, I always look for production in college, and 10 yard shuttle and 3-cone drill. Don't care about the 40-yard dash at all.

That's why I thought this year Graham and specially Huges would be the better rushers...
In 09, I had the stats, but looking at film (aka highlights lowlights) it just confused me.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I always look for production in college, and 10 yard shuttle and 3-cone drill. Don't care about the 40-yard dash at all.

That's why I thought this year Graham and specially Huges would be the better rushers...
In 09, I had the stats, but looking at film (aka highlights lowlights) it just confused me.

I can give you a few reasons why they haven't had much of an impact yet.

First of all, consider my criteria for a rush OLB/DE.

240lbs (size)
4.69 40yd (speed)
1.60 10yd (initial quickness)
35in vertical (explosion)
7.30 3-cone (COD)

Orakpo and Matthews met all 5 criteria. Graham and Hughes did not.

Graham:
268 (yes)
4.71 (no)
1.61 (no)
31.5 (no)
7.01 (yes)

Hughes:
255 (yes)
4.65 (yes)
1.63 (no)
34.5 (no)
6.99 (yes)

So Graham had 2/5 and Hughes had 3/5.

This, to me, means that Graham isn't going to be fast, quick, and explosive enough and Hughes isn't going to be quick and explosive enough to cut it as a great rushers physically.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can give you a few reasons why they haven't had much of an impact yet.

First of all, consider my criteria for a rush OLB/DE.

240lbs (size)
4.69 40yd (speed)
1.60 10yd (initial quickness)
35in vertical (explosion)
7.30 3-cone (COD)

Orakpo and Matthews met all 5 criteria. Graham and Hughes did not.

Graham:
268 (yes)
4.71 (no)
1.61 (no)
31.5 (no)
7.01 (yes)

Hughes:
255 (yes)
4.65 (yes)
1.63 (no)
34.5 (no)
6.99 (yes)

So Graham had 2/5 and Hughes had 3/5.

This, to me, means that Graham isn't going to be fast, quick, and explosive enough and Hughes isn't going to be quick and explosive enough to cut it as a great rushers physically.
Isn't 0.03 nitpicking? One can make a case about 0.5 also...

BTW, Ware didn't meet the required 10 yard (1.62) by that standards...

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do we actually have to pick an individual? Just by looking at this seasons injuries........I'd say Running back (Demarco Murray) in the First round and the best available OLB in the second, CB in the 3rd.

DCEBB2011

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't 0.03 nitpicking? One can make a case about 0.5 also...

BTW, Ware didn't meet the required 10 yard (1.62) by that standards...

I don't consider it nitpicking as much as I consider it being accurate.

Ware did NOT meet the required 10 yard time but we do use another measure for initial burst and acceleration: The 20yd shuttle.

And in this measure, Ware recorded a 4.07 which is an elite time no matter what position you play. The target for this position would be 4.10, a time that neither Graham nor Hughes met although Hughes was close with 4.15.

It's more of a "pick your preference" when using measureables. I prefer the 10 time, but the shuttle is just as relevant.

Members online

No members online now.