2010 Starting OL

gute

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanted to run this idea by some others, but how about an o-line with:

LT Lang/LG Spitz/C Wells/RG Sitton/RT Colledge

Colledge played some right tackle at the end of 2008 and looked good. I know that the idea of Colledge playing LT is out, mainly based on the Minnesota game, but the guy was hurt.

Back-ups would consist of Clifton, Tauscher, Barber, Giacomini and Deitrich-Smith.

I am not taking into consideration free agency or the draft. Free agency due to the CBA and the draft because it is unlikely a starter will be available #23 - from what I've read.

Thoughts?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Colledge can play anything other than LG. He tried that, and failed miserably...

I don't like your idea. Right now, with what we have, the best lineup is:

LT - Lang/LG - Spitz/C - Wells/RG - Sitton/RT - Tauscher

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Colledge can play anything other than LG. He tried that, and failed miserably...

BINGO!!!

I think it depends on what type of offense TT wants to possess. Is he happy with this quick-strick offense that puts his defense on the field for most of the game? Or, does he prefer a ball-controlled type of offense that chews up time and keeps the exposure on defense to a minimum. After all, if you defense is on the field less often, they will be scored on less.

If it is the latter, the current line or scheme - or whatever spin you wanna put on it - is not suited to consistently sound run blocking.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we should just do away with it and have the defense count up to 5 out loud using the words "Apple" or "Mississippi."

packerfan191

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly think we still need to try to draft some o-linemen for the future/in case we get injuries this coming season.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point I think Tauscher should get the benefit of the doubt and get a contract for at least one more year.

I agree with the starter of the thread that a rookie at the 23 pick is risky to start next year and that left tackles are hard to find in free agency, almost none available. Clifton for the price is probably the best one available, unless TT is willing to break the bank.

TT just said in a recent interview when questioned what position are you looking at with your first pick and he clearly said we will go by best player available, not by position.

I think there is a decent chance to get a Left Guard in free agency/trade, and that the probability that we will get a lineman in the 2nd round and later who will be a work in progress and not somebody you want starting opening day at left tackle.

Lets start with the left tackle position, we have Lang/Colledge/Clifton. Clifton made 8 million last year and is not under contract and Colledge is due a new contract but depending on labor negotiations may not be free to walk. Colledge is clearly a backup LT and I guess his best position is LG, but IMO is a backup at best. His year to shine was last year and he did so so. Lang's natural position seems to be RT and I think he could play guard as well. So for Lang's further development playing one of the tackle positions makes the most sense.

The big question is Clifton. He is old, injury prone, and will be expensive. He is already showing signs of decline. He does have years of experience and has run the zone blocking scheme and at least has the skill to do what he has to do to keep A-rod from getting his head taken off, even if he has to cheat.

IMO I think Clifton is not an option, he can't stay healthy and Lang is as good as Clifton at this point of his career with the two bad knees and ankles, regardless Lang will be playing left tackle once Clifton gets hurt which is a given. IMO you sign Tauscher to another year as you can not have both Lang and Giacomini/Barbre/rookie starting at the tackle positions. You start Lang at left tackle at the beginning of camp and get him ready.

LT - Lang/rookie#1/rookie#2
LG - Spitz/Barbre/rookie#3
c - Wells/Deitrich/rookie#3
RG - Sitton/Barbre/rookie#3
RT - Tauscher/Giacomini/rookie#1/rookie#2

You draft two more Left tackles in the draft to develop and I think you part ways with Colledge. The Pack drafts or picks up at least 3 more lineman and based on training camp, Barbre/Deitrich/Giacomini are not assured roster spots, depending on the play of the new players.

I guess this is what I see the first day of camp.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point I think Tauscher should get the benefit of the doubt and get a contract for at least one more year.

I agree with the starter of the thread that a rookie at the 23 pick is risky to start next year and that left tackles are hard to find in free agency, almost none available. Clifton for the price is probably the best one available, unless TT is willing to break the bank.

TT just said in a recent interview when questioned what position are you looking at with your first pick and he clearly said we will go by best player available, not by position.

I think there is a decent chance to get a Left Guard in free agency/trade, and that the probability that we will get a lineman in the 2nd round and later who will be a work in progress and not somebody you want starting opening day at left tackle.

Lets start with the left tackle position, we have Lang/Colledge/Clifton. Clifton made 8 million last year and is not under contract and Colledge is due a new contract but depending on labor negotiations may not be free to walk. Colledge is clearly a backup LT and I guess his best position is LG, but IMO is a backup at best. His year to shine was last year and he did so so. Lang's natural position seems to be RT and I think he could play guard as well. So for Lang's further development playing one of the tackle positions makes the most sense.

The big question is Clifton. He is old, injury prone, and will be expensive. He is already showing signs of decline. He does have years of experience and has run the zone blocking scheme and at least has the skill to do what he has to do to keep A-rod from getting his head taken off, even if he has to cheat.

IMO I think Clifton is not an option, he can't stay healthy and Lang is as good as Clifton at this point of his career with the two bad knees and ankles, regardless Lang will be playing left tackle once Clifton gets hurt which is a given. IMO you sign Tauscher to another year as you can not have both Lang and Giacomini/Barbre/rookie starting at the tackle positions. You start Lang at left tackle at the beginning of camp and get him ready.

LT - Lang/rookie#1/rookie#2
LG - Spitz/Barbre/rookie#3
c - Wells/Deitrich/rookie#3
RG - Sitton/Barbre/rookie#3
RT - Tauscher/Giacomini/rookie#1/rookie#2

You draft two more Left tackles in the draft to develop and I think you part ways with Colledge. The Pack drafts or picks up at least 3 more lineman and based on training camp, Barbre/Deitrich/Giacomini are not assured roster spots, depending on the play of the new players.

I guess this is what I see the first day of camp.

I agree almost to a tee. We have no one on the roster as good as Tausch and none would be available, so why fight it? I can't believe nobody scooped him up - TT dodged a major bullet on that one.

I don't like our young supposed tackles at all and I'm not crazy about the center(s). If a player cannot play a position by year 2 or 3, forget trying it. Cut your losses and move on.

If the O-line doesn't improve in terms of consistent run-blocking and protection, Green Bay will be in for another mediocre finish next year. I'm not sure what TT is waiting for, but each year that he tries in vein to have somebody from within shine and he doesn't, is another year you waste marquee talent at the other positions, meaning we might soon need to be filling other positions in addition to line.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree almost to a tee. We have no one on the roster as good as Tausch and none would be available, so why fight it? I can't believe nobody scooped him up - TT dodged a major bullet on that one.

I don't like our young supposed tackles at all and I'm not crazy about the center(s). If a player cannot play a position by year 2 or 3, forget trying it. Cut your losses and move on.

If the O-line doesn't improve in terms of consistent run-blocking and protection, Green Bay will be in for another mediocre finish next year. I'm not sure what TT is waiting for, but each year that he tries in vein to have somebody from within shine and he doesn't, is another year you waste marquee talent at the other positions, meaning we might soon need to be filling other positions in addition to line.

Left tackle position is head ache. Lang is a temporary patch, his natural position will be right tackle once Tauscher retires.

I really would like TT to a make trade, giving up a player and draft picks in a block buster deal on a proven young left tackle. Otherwise this O-line is another year away from becoming a solid unit, and that only happens if TT drafts well and one of the new rookies is our future answer at left tackle.

If not we better have a damn good defense and special teams next year.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What he said in that interview is a load of BS. TT is unpredictable, did he really take the best player available at No. 9 last year? PLUS by a show of hands how many of us weren't shocked when he traded up to get matthews?

Honestly I'm not saying either move was bad but I would be all for it if TT shocked us one more time and we finally got positional players in the draft.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What he said in that interview is a load of BS. TT is unpredictable, did he really take the best player available at No. 9 last year? PLUS by a show of hands how many of us weren't shocked when he traded up to get matthews?

Honestly I'm not saying either move was bad but I would be all for it if TT shocked us one more time and we finally got positional players in the draft.

That just it, nobody knows. This year I really see TT trading down. There is a lot of good talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It was reported (don't remember by who) that Crabtree, who was available, was the #1 in TT's board...

Like I said, IMHO, the years before, TT did what he did because he needed to rebuild.

Now that he feels this team is almost ready to win it all, he'll consider both talent as well as need when making a pick.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts