2010 Packer Defense - Where Does it Finish?

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packer defense had mixed results in 2009. Great overall stats, but it also benefited from a weak schedule and blew up against several of the top QBs - Warner, Roethlisberger, Favre.

Where does it finish in 2010? I say somewhere between 5 and 10.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hold teams to 17 Points or less, We should be able to put up points on all defenses, Get the other teams to play catch up against us, open up opportunities for game ending interceptions (favre-esque endings)

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we're able to hold teams to less than 27 points, we win everytime. Or if we're able to pick them at least once.

That's how it went last season, anyway.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I had to guess I would say we take a step back on Defensive ranking and step up in Offense. Woodson wont have an MVP caliber season but I think other areas will blossom, such as the number of sacks we get.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Im with the decline. I'd love to see some improvement in the front, mainly getting to the QBs. I think in actuality we'll be better, but statistically we'll be worse. Thats because we're gonna be playing some High Offense teams.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see why the D can't do as well this year as they did last year. I actually think they will do a bit better. I think a second year in the new system makes GB better against the pass to go with the stingy run defense that is already there.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see why the D can't do as well this year as they did last year. I actually think they will do a bit better. I think a second year in the new system makes GB better against the pass to go with the stingy run defense that is already there.

I agree that the quality of play will be better then 2009, but the opponents the Packers face this year is also much better...bears & lions did zilch against us last year, 49ers offense was not even a worthy offense, rams, Seahawks, Cleveland, & you can't count the week 17 game against the cardinals...those are 8 games that really helped pad the stats

Now 6 of those Teams have been replaced with the Jets, Patriots, Dolphins, Falcons, Giants, Eagles

I like the challenge we face, if we conquer these teams on our way to a 2nd seed or higher in the Post Season, I say we will be in SB45

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I believe the 2nd year in the 3-4 system with the addition of some new talent along the defensive backfield and the d-line should help improve us overall. However I think we will probably be the #5 ranked defense. Slightly lower than last year, but I think overall we will be a more complete defense.

I could easily see us leading the league in turnovers and turnover ratio again, plus I believe we will have an easier time of getting to the quarterback.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The better our offense is............the better our defense will be. The opposiing offense can't do anything with the ball .......if they don't have it. Having the quick strike capability is good but I prefer if we could just move down the field in a methodical manner taking time off the clock/getting first downs.

If our defense can create more pressure on the opposing QB's with good offensive lines it will help us no doubt. The better teams are the ones we had problems with. Everyone on the face of the earth knows you pressure Favre.......and he will choke. Just going off what I remember from both of the Vikings games.........I don't think we sacked him once. We should have called 911 during the Steelers game cause Ben Rothlisberger ***** our secondary.

If our DB's do a better job this year.......and Rodgers is not running for his life........both the offense and defense will be in better shape.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe our run defense will go from 1 last year down to about 7 this year, which is still very damn good if you ask me. Remember our run defense 2 years ago? Horrible.
Top 7 is still super.
I expect our pass defense to improve in year 2 of Capers scheme, with our overall defense being #5 but points allowed down and we go 12-4 and win the Super Bowl.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers Defense faces in this order

QUARTERBACKS
KOLB, BROHM or EDWARDS, CUTLER, STAFFORD, MCNABB, HENNE, FAVRE, SANCHEZ, ROMO, THEN A BYE WEEK, FAVRE, RYAN, SMITH, STAFFORD, BRADY, ELI MANNING, CUTLER

There is a total of 3 1/2 (the half being CUTLER) QB's that I'm unsure about how our defense will respond...All the other QB's I am pretty confident we can own them.

THE RUNNING BACKS

Lesean Mccoy
- unproven, I'm not worried, QB unproven, but a lotta weapons

Fred Jackson, CJ Spiller, Marshawn Lynch it's a dangerous group of backs, but it's the bills

Forte, Wolfe the other AP not that scary, but if Mike Martz can help cutler put up numbers, I think Forte can still be a tough back and recieving back

Javid Best
lotta hype about this rookie's speed, kevin smith probably going to miss this game, lions should be better, but I don't see them getting a win against us here

Willie Parker, Larry Johnson, Clinton Portis
that's a crazy group of big names for washington, mcnabb involved too, skins could be pretty good, but wait and see

Ricky Williams & Ronnie Brown
chad henne got brandon marshall now, but all other weapons except these 2 backs are not really worth mentioning, still these 2 backs are scary when they work together or individually in that wildcat

Adrian Peterson & Toby Gerhart
thumper 1 and a new thumper 2, with favre, tough tough combo

Shonne Greene & LT
anticipating way more run here with sanchez still learning, should be able to handle this tandem

MBIII & Felix Jones
felix is someone that could breakout this year and be a very lethal force on the ground, mb3 can still pound the rock too, tough team

AP & Gerhart
hopefully some loss of tread on the tire for round 2, like an AP broken leg or something, j/k...gotta deliver some hits to #4

Michael Turner & J. Norwood
scary tandem, good offense, nice recievin weapons to worry about, this is a tough matchup for us in my opinion

Frank Gore & Glenn Coffee
frank gore can be contained, but their improved line will show what they can do by the time we face them, alex smith is one year of confidence better then last year

Javid Best & Maybe Kevin Smith
kevin smith may be back this game, stafford could have some good chemistry by this time, i still think we beat them, but i don't think we minimize their production too much, they got some weapons

Lawrence Maroney & Fred Taylor
they can't fun the ball period

Brandon Jacobs, Bradshaw, Danny Ware
i don't know, this used to be a scary bunch of backs to face, but BJ is slowing down, i want revenge!

Forte...
more of a recieving threat to us, gotta get to cutler

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers Defense faces in this order

QUARTERBACKS
KOLB, BROHM or EDWARDS, CUTLER, STAFFORD, MCNABB, HENNE, FAVRE, SANCHEZ, ROMO, THEN A BYE WEEK, FAVRE, RYAN, SMITH, STAFFORD, BRADY, ELI MANNING, CUTLER

There is a total of 3 1/2 (the half being CUTLER) QB's that I'm unsure about how our defense will respond...All the other QB's I am pretty confident we can own them.

THE RUNNING BACKS

Lesean Mccoy
- unproven, I'm not worried, QB unproven, but a lotta weapons

Fred Jackson, CJ Spiller, Marshawn Lynch it's a dangerous group of backs, but it's the bills

Forte, Wolfe the other AP not that scary, but if Mike Martz can help cutler put up numbers, I think Forte can still be a tough back and recieving back

Javid Best
lotta hype about this rookie's speed, kevin smith probably going to miss this game, lions should be better, but I don't see them getting a win against us here

Willie Parker, Larry Johnson, Clinton Portis
that's a crazy group of big names for washington, mcnabb involved too, skins could be pretty good, but wait and see

Ricky Williams & Ronnie Brown
chad henne got brandon marshall now, but all other weapons except these 2 backs are not really worth mentioning, still these 2 backs are scary when they work together or individually in that wildcat

Adrian Peterson & Toby Gerhart
thumper 1 and a new thumper 2, with favre, tough tough combo

Shonne Greene & LT
anticipating way more run here with sanchez still learning, should be able to handle this tandem

MBIII & Felix Jones
felix is someone that could breakout this year and be a very lethal force on the ground, mb3 can still pound the rock too, tough team

AP & Gerhart
hopefully some loss of tread on the tire for round 2, like an AP broken leg or something, j/k...gotta deliver some hits to #4

Michael Turner & J. Norwood
scary tandem, good offense, nice recievin weapons to worry about, this is a tough matchup for us in my opinion

Frank Gore & Glenn Coffee
frank gore can be contained, but their improved line will show what they can do by the time we face them, alex smith is one year of confidence better then last year

Javid Best & Maybe Kevin Smith
kevin smith may be back this game, stafford could have some good chemistry by this time, i still think we beat them, but i don't think we minimize their production too much, they got some weapons

Lawrence Maroney & Fred Taylor
they can't fun the ball period

Brandon Jacobs, Bradshaw, Danny Ware
i don't know, this used to be a scary bunch of backs to face, but BJ is slowing down, i want revenge!

Forte...
more of a recieving threat to us, gotta get to cutler

Thank you for this very nice post--a lot of work went into it.

Another thing: the punting has to improve if we're going to give the defense a chance to start deep in the other team's territory.

I only want to see favre on his back every time he drops back to pass. The turnovers will follow--the SOB is unequaled in his fumbling and interceptions when pressured.

Members online

Latest posts