2010 Draft - Round 6, Pick 24, Overall Pick 193: James Starks

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Packers picked James Starks for their sixth pick in the draft. DISCUSS!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

James Starks (RB)
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 218 lbs.
Arm Length: 33 3/4 in.
Hand Size: 9 1/2 in.
College: Buffalo
Conference: Mid-American

Pick Analysis:
The talented tailback from Buffalo got injured and missed his entire senior season. Some teams thought he had a chance with a powerful senior season to move into the second or third round. With Green Bay, he'll have an opportunity to be core special teams player and have a chance to compete at running back as well.

Overview:
Starks missed the 2009 season after undergoing surgery to repair his shoulder. He is a converted running back and had consecutive thousand yard seasons in 2007 and 2008. He has a little wiggle to him as he hits the hole and can veer off course after getting to the second level to make the first man miss but is not a top cut-back runner. He has a good burst through the hole and shows the speed to take it all the way once he gets to the open field.

Strengths:
Starks has nice height, a good build and impressive overall size for a running back. Has the necessary speed to be a threat on the outside at the next level. Exhibits good acceleration and burst through the hole for a bigger back.

Weaknesses:
Does not run with the power we’d like to see for his size. Starks has some straight line to him and isn’t going to shake a lot of tacklers. Durability is a concern after missing his senior year with injury.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
6'2 218 pounds

Has alot of injury concerns

in 2008 was 3rd in the MAC with 1,333 yards and 16 touchdowns while missing 3 games.

One of three runners to place in the top 10 at combine in 40, vertical, broad, three-cone drill and 20-yard shuttle. (Ben Tate, Montarrio Hardesty)

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Can he return kicks is my question? Holliday's gone now, I doubt we take Brandon Banks, so this kid is my last hope as far as a kick returner goes.

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems as though every corner we really liked has already been taken. Maybe something in the seventh but who knows, we still want another OLB too don't we?

I don't have a problem with the pick, cause we can use another RB but I just thought that CB and OLB were positions we were gonna hit hard.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
WHO??????? oh no, oh no TT, why? i'd rather have legarrete blount knocking out referees or whatever. This guy looks like he would be great, if he stayed healthy.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
Liked the pick a lot. He's a talent. 30+ TDs 3000+ yards in 3 years are huge numbers...

He can catch, he's 6'2, he's fast 4.4 40...

I love his highlight reels, love the stats, Hate the downtime. Adrian peterson, priest holmes, curtis martin all had big Injury concerns coming out of college though, and they seemed to be alright. IF he can stay healthy, I believe he could be the replacment for Ryan Grant that we NEED, but if he get's injured anytime in the next 2-3 years, you'd have to say it's a gamble that we lost.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love his highlight reels, love the stats, Hate the downtime. Adrian peterson, priest holmes, curtis martin all had big Injury concerns coming out of college though, and they seemed to be alright. IF he can stay healthy, I believe he could be the replacment for Ryan Grant that we NEED, but if he get's injured anytime in the next 2-3 years, you'd have to say it's a gamble that we lost.
Someone at another forum said that he's not scared about the injury at all, because it's the shoulder. It's not in his legs/hips...

Simms87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's a really good pick for 6th round. If he would have stayed healthy during 09, we had no chance to get him.
So it's kind of gamble, but if he stays healthy, i'm really optimistic he'll be a great rb!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's a really good pick for 6th round. If he would have stayed healthy during 09, we had no chance to get him.
So it's kind of gamble, but if he stays healthy, i'm really optimistic he'll be a great rb!
He's healthy, he was at the combine...

I don't think it's the injury that scared teams. I think it was becasue he played in poor competition, and didn't have a senior year to show for...

When you evaluate players at small schools, you kinda want to see he's not a one-year wonder. And he's not the most phisically gifted...

Simms87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's healthy, he was at the combine...

I don't think it's the injury that scared teams. I think it was becasue he played in poor competition, and didn't have a senior year to show for...

When you evaluate players at small schools, you kinda want to see he's not a one-year wonder. And he's not the most phisically gifted...

Yeah, but that's more or less, what I wanted to say. I mean he would have a senior year and they could see, if he's a one-year wonder, if he would have been healthy during 09. So let's see, what he can bring... I still think he's pretty a gamble pick.

Reaction score
He had a bad Shoulder injury. No biggie at least its not a broken ankle or leg. I like this pick we needed another runninback i think this gives us a faster back who can run for us. Ryan grant is this mixed runner with power speed and can recieve. This guy will be are speed back. Brandon Jackson will be are pass protection man and recieving back. We needed him because Brandon Jackson can not run the ball.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is one of the guys where I really dont know a whole lot other than his numbers and his durability concern. From what I hear his injury isn't that bad and he could be a decent pick. He has good size and seems to have good speed so hopefully he can bust inside the tackles and be a good power back while still getting away while in the open. Hopefully he recovers from his injury and returns to his original form, which has never faced top competition.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a vid of him, that will get everyone excited about this pick:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ3dPkL0pr4]YouTube - Former Bulls RB James Starks Drafted by the Green Bay Packers[/ame]

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starks put the ball on the turf twice I believe in the 2008 MAC championship game. He did score a touchdown in the game.

OP
OP
robdog

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I am bumping an old thread, but who would of thought that our starting running back in the playoffs would of been the 193rd pick in the draft... crazy!

Members online

Latest posts