2010 Draft - Round 1, Pick 23, Overall Pick 23: Bryan Bulaga

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say it was an improvement, but calling a O-line that had major problems last year.........then suddenly its greeat after drafting Bulaga.....is stretching it. You wanna see the most improved line this year. Look at what SF 49ers did yesterday. Left Tackle and a OG in the first. Singeltary is going to have a line that wears out defenses in the first half and dominates them in the second half.

I am definitely happy we got Bulaga though. Soooooo.......who on our roster is going to get the AXE???
They still don't have a C, and the RT and LG are rookies (Staley is the LT). They still have to adquire chemistry.

Our starting OL has it. It had GREAT depth problems, and lacked a quality LG. We seem to have it now.

I'm not saying it's a dominant OL. But IMHO at the start of the season, it won't be a hinderance. If you look at the line composed of Clifton/Colledge/Wells/Sitton/Tauscher, it did very well, despite playing some though competition, specially the Steelers... the problem was when someone got injuried. Then it all fell down. And, of course, another problem was Colledge consistantly failing in the most inappropriate times...

Maybe great is a stretch (though I think it has a great future with Sitton, Bulaga, Lang and Evan Dietrich-Smith), but it'll be very good.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
2 exclamation points, people. He's probably hates the Bears already with that kind of commitment.

Shiiiiit, last time I used TWO exclamation points was when i told my friend my roomate was buying pizza!

I LOOOOVE Pizza.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So who do you think will get kicked to the curb?? Barber? Colledge?
Barbre? Barbre doesn't have a shot... But he'll stay with the team.

Colledge too, unless traded. Giacomini is out IMHO.

It's a crap shoot, but I think in the end it'll be:

Clifton/Lang/Wells/Sitton/Tauscher

Bulaga/Spitz/EDS/Spitz/Bulaga

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed, Giacomini is the one left out. I am okay with the pick. I understand it was a need and he was there, it was a forced pick. At worst he becomes a pretty good guard, and at best a pro bowl LT. The arm length thing was overblown considering Joe Thomas has shorter arms. No character concerns and thats what you like out of a first round pick.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone is definitely going to be the odd man out with Bulaga being the pick. Barbre and Giocomini, one of those two have no shot at making the final roster unless they WOW everyone in the Preseason. I doubt that even happens as Giocomini has failed to impress in recent years and Barbre performed horribly. Most likely what will happen is that Giocomini gets released, Barbre gets moved back to his natural RG position to back up Sitton, and if Spitz beats of Colledge at LG then Colledge gets dangled around for a trade.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
Clifton / Bulaga / Spitz / Newhouse/ Tauscher

this will be our starting o-line come game one, eventually bulaga and newhouse will probably move out to the tackle posistions.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clifton / Bulaga / Spitz / Newhouse/ Tauscher

this will be our starting o-line come game one, eventually bulaga and newhouse will probably move out to the tackle posistions.
Sitton is actually the only surefire starter on the line... And you could make the same case to Wells. Spitz was terrible at C last year...

I think we start with Clifton/Lang/Wells/Sitton/Tauscher.

but you know what? NEVER AGAIN Alan Barbre. NEVER AGAIN Giacomini. NEVER AGAIN Colledge at LT

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
Sitton is actually the only surefire starter on the line... And you could make the same case to Wells. Spitz was terrible at C last year...

I think we start with Clifton/Lang/Wells/Sitton/Tauscher.

but you know what? NEVER AGAIN Alan Barbre. NEVER AGAIN Giacomini. NEVER AGAIN Colledge at LT

I agree with that, and I also like wells better, but doesnt spitz have a big contract, i dobut he sits this year unless we ship him out. Bulaga will be starting somewhere, possibly even at LT. Clifton and Tauscher i wouldnt be suprised if they were moved in as well. More than likely it's looking like there will be O-line musical chairs for the first 6-8 weeks. I like lang, but I really think that by picking bulaga and newhouse, TT is saying that lang will be a LG. I wouldnt be suprised if we saw something like Bulaga / lang / wells / cliffy / tausch. I think we can all agree that the o-line is looking a lot more promising at this point this year, than it did at this point last year.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone is definitely going to be the odd man out with Bulaga being the pick. Barbre and Giocomini, one of those two have no shot at making the final roster unless they WOW everyone in the Preseason. I doubt that even happens as Giocomini has failed to impress in recent years and Barbre performed horribly. Most likely what will happen is that Giocomini gets released, Barbre gets moved back to his natural RG position to back up Sitton, and if Spitz beats of Colledge at LG then Colledge gets dangled around for a trade.
Barbre played moderatedly well in the preseason last year. Just saying.

He's a physical freak. He ran the 40 faster than Campbell. But he's dumb as wood. He just can't get the mental aspect.

He has no shot at playing G, where the blitz pickup is much more intricate than at T.

His only shot is to learn some moves well, and stick to it. Maybe he can compensate with his physical abilities.

But I wouldn't bet on it.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great pick by TT. I was shocked he was still available. Before this pick was announced I was torn between Bulaga and Wilson. In retrospect, I think the right choice was made.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's what MM had to say about the OL:

(Does the pick of Bulaga, assuming you put him at left tackle, solidify some other spots?)
That's what I was referring to. Bryan will line up at left tackle. He'll line up right there behind Chad Clifton with Allen Barbre and he will take those reps. It's very important for him to train and be a left tackle. With that, T.J. will line up at right tackle and he will compete over there with Mark and Breno. That's the way we'll start, and that's the way they will be repped throughout the spring and going into training camp.

He didn't say where Newhouse will play, though:

(Where do you think Newhouse will be?)
We're talking through that. We're talking through that because he has the ability to be both an inside or outside player.

So, from that:

LT: Clifton/Bulaga/Barbre
LG: Spitz/Colledge/Newhouse
C: Wells/Spitz/EDS
RG: Sitton/Spitz/Colledge/Newhouse
RT: Tauscher/Lang/Giacomini/Newhouse

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RS that is some serious O-line depth. I doubt we keep both Barbre and Giocomini come preseason. I really hope that TT doesn't do what he did last year in releasing a future starting T/G in Newhouse.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LT: Clifton/Bulaga/Barbre
LG: Spitz/Colledge/Newhouse
C: Wells/Spitz/EDS
RG: Sitton/Spitz/Colledge/Newhouse
RT: Tauscher/Lang/Giacomini/Newhouse

That seems more logical than any other starting line projections I've seen thus far.

Sorry I'm so late to this topic (and to the forum for a while). I was very excited to see Bulaga go to Green Bay, being the Hawkeye fan that I am. I was sure that Bryan was going in the top ten which cause me to believe Green Bay would have to fall back to later rounds for a good Offensive Tackle and predecessor to Chad Clifton. Bryan Bulaga is going to be a great pickup because of his great footwork and should be able to protect Rodgers. I've heard criticism of Bryan struggling with Brandon Graham and O'Brien Schofield, where he was still recovering from his illness. He vastly improved by just destroying (fellow first round pick) Derrick Morgan in the Orange Bowl. Also his run blocking credentials arent bad (paving way for the Doak Walker award winner in 2008 ).

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score

When we drafted Giocomini, I looked up some information on him and everything I read about the guy said he would be lucky to even become a backup

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we drafted Giocomini, I looked up some information on him and everything I read about the guy said he would be lucky to even become a backup

Giocomini was only of those "athletic" prospects when coming out of college. Kind of like how Charles Brown was for this year; quick hands, good footwork, good mobility. Now I'm not saying that Brown will end up the same way as Giocomini, but it's the exact same reason everytime that they get drafted. Teams like to take these guys because coaches love to take on these kind of projects.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga was a great gift. he should have been a top 15 pick for sure.

Definitely, he should have been taken by Buffalo at the very latest. After their pick I was almost assured that we would have Bulaga in our laps. It was an absolute steal from my perspective.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga was a great gift. he should have been a top 15 pick for sure.

I like the pick also. It seems like they got value at that pick. It remains to be seen if he can play and play at a high level, but Thompson's judgment seems to be very good. I am hoping he is capable of starting at one of the tackle slots by mid year. Would be nice to have insurance in case one of the starters goes down with an injury (which is likely given their age and history).

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Great pick this guy will be a strong force for us for many years! I've even heard that he has the potential to the best right end in the league. Kinda hope we don't have to move him to the other side...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts