2009 Draft - The Rest Of The Teams

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I figured we should have a place to talk about other team's picks. It's normally a long time between Packer picks, so we might as well discuss what other teams are doing.

Sticky maybe? ;)

ctrev21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like we'll have a very competative division for the next 10 years! Rodgers, Stafford and Cutler....poor old Vikings.......maybe Petersen can learn to throw!

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely, if the Lions draft Stafford, Culpepper will start without a doubt. They would probably bring him in mid-season depending on Culpepper's play. Playing for the Lions is like a death sentence right now...

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like we'll have a very competative division for the next 10 year! Rodgers, Stafford and Cutler....poor old Vikings.......maybe Petersen can learn to throw!

They are going to rock the flee-flicker for sure this year... at least twice per game! :devil:

ctrev21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as it hurts for me to say this.....I think the Bears will take the division this year and of all the teams in it I hate the Bears the most.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as it hurts for me to say this.....I think the Bears will take the division this year and of all the teams in it I hate the Bears the most.

Maybe, but they are going to be hurting for years to come with the 4 picks they gave up over the next 2 years.

They are going for broke this year and they are no way in hell going to win the superbowl.

ctrev21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe, but they are going to be hurting for years to come with the 4 picks they gave up over the next 2 years.

They are going for broke this year and they are no way in hell going to win the superbowl.

Yep, I kind of see it the same way. I could only hope that after whatever run they make their cellar dwellers for a long time!

I guess I'll get my first look come Sept. I hope I'm driving home with a big smile on my face!

ctrev21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's raining outside as I type, so it looks like a perfect day to sit on the couch and enjoy the first hour of the draft!

OP
OP
Jess

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Percy Harvin scares the living daylights out of me. Al Harris has about half the speed Harvin does, Woodson has like 3/4. I don't know that speed alone makes Harvin a good receiver, but I know he scares me a bit.

That said, we're winning the day out of the division teams. Clay Matthews is a beast.

OP
OP
Jess

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I think Cincy just got the steal of day one with Rey Maualuga in round two. Granted it takes a terrible defense and upgrades it to bad, but I loved Maualuga in college and I think he'll be great in the NFL.

ctrev21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I had to rate the Division Detroit and us are neck in neck today.....Minn....Fail...Bears mortgaged the future on Cutler...

OP
OP
Jess

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I don't like Stafford. I don't like his decision making, I think Sanchez will be twice the quarterback that Stafford will be. Stafford was never really that good at Georgia, and I don't think he's the answer in Detroit. Will he be a serviceable QB? Yeah, but he's not worth 48 mil guarenteed or whatever they gave him. Were I Detroit, i'd have traded down, even if it took getting a little ripped off to do so.

danielchile

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Detroit...why do they bother to show up at the draft? How can a team suck that much?

I really don't have a problem with them taking Stafford. The real problem is...WHO IS YOUR FRANCHISE LT? They don't have one! They had the chance to take Michael Oher, considered to be one of the top OT in this draft...but wait...they take a TE! And then, later, they have another chance to get a OT with Eben Britton...but wait...they take a FS!

And the viqueens? 50/50. Awful decision to pick Percy Harvin...terrible! But then they took a real monster...I mean...6'8! 6'8!!! I didn't knew Frankenstein was on this draft!

And duh bears? Well...I didn't see them. Will they take a WR? How, and they have a nice shot at SS Rashad Johnson. Hope someone gets him before!

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stafford to the Lions. Boy, whith that OL he will get crushed.

But I'm assuming Culpepper will be the starter this season.

I am still confused why teams pay that much for someone who is unproven and played on a so so team in college.

I guess they are desperate to get something going for that organization, but man that just doesn't make sense. Look at last year with Russell, that pick is going to be a bust LOL. Good one Al Davis because he can throw 60 yards on his knees.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like Stafford. I don't like his decision making, I think Sanchez will be twice the quarterback that Stafford will be. Stafford was never really that good at Georgia, and I don't think he's the answer in Detroit. Will he be a serviceable QB? Yeah, but he's not worth 48 mil guarenteed or whatever they gave him. Were I Detroit, i'd have traded down, even if it took getting a little ripped off to do so.

Yup, the Jets are going to be happy with their pick and they maneuvered nicely to get him. I know it is lame to say, but he has the "it" factor. I guess I just like the kid and his ability. :)

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are doing good in our draft as well, just means our games are going to be a little more interesting if all the picks pan out properly, but I doubt that is going to happen. The teddies are hoping to find a needle in a very large haystack consider all their picks are coming from the 3rd round and up. Most of those players will not make the team...

OP
OP
Jess

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Damn teddies are doing good on their draft too. Iglesias, Gilbert, D.J. Moore.
Don't like that!
It's funny how they can not have a pick until round 3 and still have a better draft than Minnesota. Lol.

Seriously, Gilbert and Iglesias in round 3? That's great value. They got lucky and two very good players fell right into their laps.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did they adress their offense enough so they are a threat? Because we adressed our D problems. I think they did and OK job, but in the end of the day we are the better team. Minnesotta still has the passing game issue, despite Percy Harvin, who isn't really good at catching the ball, Chicago didn't get a 1# receiver, not for this season, and the Lions are still the Lions...

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Detroit - I'm not a Stafford fan, but I wasn't a fan of any QBs in this draft when it came to the first pick. Pettigrew was a decent pick that will help them in a lot of ways. I really like the Derrick Williams and Lydon Murtha picks. B

Bears - Gilbert is a boom or bust pick that didn't really produce much at all at lowly San Jose State. It would be unreasonable to assume that he will then produce in the NFL. Iglesias is decent, and there is a reason that DJ Moore dropped. Teams know something about him that we don't. They didn't add a ton of talent, but that is to be expected when you don't have a first day pick. Considering that I'll give them a B-

Minnesota - Boom or Bust all the way on the first day. Harvin could be a steal or he could smoke himself out of the NFL. Loadholt was one of my least favorite players in the draft and would have gotten an F from any team other than the Vikings, who need a road grater at RT. Still, he will hold or just get flat out beaten by any DE with any semblance of speed. He will really struggle against 3-4 teams with OLBs rushing against him. C+

NON - NFC NORTH TEAMS:

Oakland - I read it best on anther board when someone said that Al Davis went "full retard" (Tropic Thunder reference) this draft. DHB is a slightly better Troy Williamson, and the Mike Mitchel pick came out of left field even though teams like the Bears were rumored to be eyeing him up a couple picks later. They said the same thing about Tarvaris Jackson in 06 though as well. Michael Johnson has one of the highest ceilings in the draft but next to no motivation to achieve it. D

Baltimore - I thought that they got great value with all of their picks. A

Denver - Building their new defensive scheme, they took two defensive players in the first round. They also did something that their previous coach never would have thought of doing when they used the first of the three first round picks that they would end up having on a running back (and a great one). The bad part: they gave up a first next year (they had two) to move into the first and take Alphonso Smith, a projected second rounder. But Fonz was one of my favorite players in the draft so I'll give them a B+

San Diego - Larry English should excell with the Chargers, and they made good with their later picks - taking Kevin Ellison and Demetrius Byrd. Ellison is a very smart S/LB tweener with questionable speed for a saftey. I think that they may have gotten a steal. Byrd would have went a lot higher if not for being injured in a car accident prior to the draft. A-

Jets - Mortgadged a lot on Sanchez in the first and Shonn Greene in the third. I'm not a fan of this draft. I think that they should have just stayed where they were and took Josh Freeman at 17. It would have been interesting to see if TB would have tried jumping them in that situation. C-

Eagles - They got great value on all of their first four picks. Excellent draft for the Iggles. A

San Fransisco - They picked up a lot of talent throughout the draft. A-

Members online

Latest posts