2009 Draft - Round 5, Pick 9, Overall Pick 145 - Quinn Johnson

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Packers picked Quinn Johnson for their fourth pick in the draft. DISCUSS!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Quinn Johnson (FB)
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 246
College: LSU
Conference: SEC
Hometown: Edgard, LA
High School: West St. John

Combine Results:
40 Yard Dash: 4.78 seconds
Bench Press: 16.0 reps
Vertical Jump: 32.0 inches
Broad Jump: 116.0 inches

Pick Analysis:
The former Tiger is a downhill lead blocker with good power and toughness. He excels at blowing linebackers out of the hole and is a throwback at the position. He will compete for the right to open holes for Ryan Grant next season.

Overview:
With Jacob Hester having graduated, Johnson, a former linebacker, finally got the opportunity to be the Tigers' full-time starter at fullback in 2008. Before the 2006 season, the coaches approached the then sophomore and asked him to move to the offensive side of the ball. He was reluctant to make the move, but the staff promised that he would get much more playing time than he did during a trying freshman season on defense.

Johnson loves to hit, so lead blocking for the Tigers' physical running game turned out to be a perfect fit. Despite playing on a team that featured standout offensive linemen like Herman Johnson and Ciron Black, he ranked second on the team with 11 touchdown-resulting blocks in 2008.

At West St. John High School, Johnson was regarded as one of the top prep linebackers in the state. He was a member of the Baton Rouge Advocate Super Dozen as well as being selected to the New Orleans Times-Picayune's Top 20 Blue-Chip list. He earned All-District honors in 2002 after making 122 tackles.

Along with present LSU teammate defensive lineman Tyson Jackson, Johnson helped lead his team to a 14-1 record and the state Class 2A championship in 2003. He also saw action at fullback, rushing for 800 yards and 11 touchdowns as a junior.

In 2004, Johnson red-shirted at Louisiana State, where he competed on the scout team as an outside linebacker. He appeared in just one contest the following season, recording one solo tackle in the Mississippi State. He shifted to fullback in 2006, appearing in 12 games, but carried just twice for 6 yards.

With Hester shuffling between fullback and tailback in 2007, Johnson had the opportunity to start four of the 14 games he appeared in. He did not get a chance to carry the ball, but caught three balls for 21 yards and posted 35 knockdowns.

Johnson started 10 games as a senior. He scored three times on 14 rushing attempts, producing 28 yards (2.0 avg). He registered 72 knockdowns and caught a pair of passes for 33 yards. He also recovered two onside kicks for 14 yards in returns.

High School:
Attended West St. John (Edgard, La.) High School, playing football for head coach Laury Dupont...Regarded as one of the top prep linebackers in the state...Member of the Baton Rouge Advocate Super Dozen as well as being selected to the New Orleans Times-Picayune's Top 20 Blue-Chip list...Earned All-District honors in 2002 after making 122 tackles...Along with present LSU teammate defensive lineman Tyson Jackson, Johnson helped lead his team to a 14-1 record and the state Class 2A championship in 2003...Also saw action at fullback, rushing for 800 yards and 11 touchdowns as a junior.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLMppXE97kE[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPdSr8POZxI[/ame]

OP
OP
robdog

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a thicker version of Lo-Neal. If this kind trains hardcode, he can be a premier FB. At that point, 4-and-1 are going to be converted on a more regular basis! :eek:

Twizz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I assume you mean "proper" right? hehe just sounded funny reading that lol. :)

He was a beast at LSU, good pickup.
No i think he means pooper, as in a Najeh "******" Davenport replacement

OP
OP
robdog

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No i think he means pooper, as in a Najeh "******" Davenport replacement

Wow, you learn something new everyday. His middle/nick name was ******?

No way... that is just to convenient to talk crap on... (literally, lol)

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Wow, you learn something new everyday. His middle/nick name was ******?

No way... that is just to convenient to talk crap on... (literally, lol)
I'd google Najeh Davenport if I were you. Lol. I don't know the details, but he was arrested, or charged with a crime or something, and said crime involved dooking in someone's laundry basket.

saintsfan51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I played linebacker with this guy in high school along with DE Tyson Jackson. Quinn played both FB and LB. He has freakish strength and loves busting ***** basically. It was very interesting to see him carry the ball as he would carry defenders up and down the field lol. Great pick up!

sully31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
personally i think this guy is an amazing talent... he has good strength and he will be a very good blocker for grant... good pick

a_rodg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this guy looks like he'll be a great fit and a great help to Ryan Grant

Members online

Latest posts