2007 QB (hypotheical)

Brett Retires at end of 06,07 season what do you do?

• Draft another QB and hope

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chris Simms is out there.

• Arrange a trade for Matt Schabb

• Ahh Screw it hand over the keys to Rogers anyway

• Total voters

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok so you get to play GM.
You are sitting at your desk in Early March and Favre comes in and tells you that he is hanging it up (but would like to mow Lambeu every now and again) You have a good lunch and make plans for the press conference.

Thats over now and you have to make some decisions.

You decide with your HC that to just hand the keys over to Rogers is not the way to go and want to make him compete for the spot. (Smart you are)

How would you play it?

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers would be my starter, but I would still use a draft pick on a QB. (Probably a 4th round pick). I would look at free agent QBs first though. If there is a good veteran QB out there, I would bring him in to push Rodgers.

Depending on which pick we get, and if he declares for the draft (he's a junior) my #1 pick would be Adrian Peterson. :D

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trommy...where ARE you??? i KNOW you're dying to answer this question so GO FOR IT!! :D ;)

seriously - i'd like to hear your thoughts on this subject, trom.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Um. Why in the world would we draft another QB? I think RB will be a much more dire situation to address. Rodgers will be able to watch Favre for two years, and we all know what that can produce (Hasselbeck, Brunell, Brooks, Warner, etc.).

I can't believe they would try to get anyone to start over Rodgers. Maybe a washed up veteran to back up.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
*cough* Take Drew Tate out of Iowa *cough* 233-375 for 2,786 yards and 20 touchdowns as a Sophmore, 219-352 for 2,828 yards and 22 TDs.

Naahh its just a dream of mine to see some Iowa players actually play before the curse hits them (Tim Dwight and Chad Greenway taken down by injuries)

Anyways I say take a quarterback in 3rd or 4th round and Keep Rodgers and then after the draft look for veterens ar quarterback

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl said:
trommy...where ARE you??? i KNOW you're dying to answer this question so GO FOR IT!! :D ;)

seriously - i'd like to hear your thoughts on this subject, trom.

you trying to set me up, missy!? Ill bite!

If Favre retires, which i dont think he should, cuz he has more in his tank than i thought(not that anyone could blame him..the mans getting old, and i am so glad im WRONG about thinking he was running out. Sometimes wrong = good)...I think we should go with...

Aaron Rodgers

His rookie year, he wasn't very good at all, in every situation he played. But was that due to the horrible o-line of 2005 or rookie inexperience? Or Both?

But this year, in camp footage,scrimmages, and preseason, he looks more crisp than ever before. He looks like he is pretty much NFL "ready." Also, by the time 2007 rolls around, the o-line will be better than it was in week 3 vs. detroit (which was...damn solid) and that will help the young qb, or ANY QB. But the progression made from year 1 to year 2 impressed me, cuz I had pretty much written him off, and figured whenever Favre retired, someone else would be brought in\drafted. I dont feel that way anymore.

So in 3 years when favre retires, I say bring in A-Rod (if he wasnt traded by then to a qb-less team...raiders...cough...). But if there is a man behind center in 2007 not named Brett, Id go with A-Rod....but ONLY...if he grows out that mustache.

Favreforever721

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you on that ahaug...Adrian Peterson is my #1 pick any day of the year, even over Quinn. We need a RB more than anything. He is the next LT!

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except Peterson's style is nothing like LT

I'm all for a competition between A-Rod and an average veteran journeyman.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Drew Stanton or Brady Quinn is available, I take either, without hesitation. If not, I hand over the keys to A-Rod, unless I can get Schaub for a 3rd round pick and replace Rodgers with a third or higher.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't waste an early pick on a QB. The Chargers did that at the same time Brees was coming into his own. Then they were forced to trade Brees away for Rivers not based on Rivers being better, but based on giving him so much money.

Rodgers has earned the chance to be the starter after Brett. That being said, I agree with Wolf's opinion that you should draft a QB every year in the late rounds.

TT followed that this year with Martin and I think that would be the case next year again. You never know when a late round QB turns into a gem and you always need a solid backup at QB. Worst case, that QB can be used as valuable trade bait.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed bobby! I'm curious to see what you can get out of Martin...if I remember right, charlie Frye was at least a 3rd for the browns...we don't need to waste our top pick on a qb.

Spend the first pick on an rb or TE

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do not forget that MM is known for his ability to bring young QB's along. It has been great all the way around with Brett coming back and that includes MM having the year to work with AR.

I would love to see this team makes strides which provides optimism for next year to be a year we have a shot with a few additions. If the young guys keep getting better and the quality of play is there I believe BF will return for another season.

We pick up a stud RB, a couple of pass defenders(if these guys continue to not show up) which we may already have with Underwood and others.

Now the line has some PT under their belts, lookout.

In the event Favre leaves competition would most likey be brought in thru a mid level draft or trade for a guy with potential.

The keys will get turned over to Rogers though. He is the next one with the most time in the system and learning under MM. Only if MM has true underlying doubts that AR cannot get it done will any real cash get invested in another QB.

If any kind of money is spent on another QB it's soley because MM has already concluded Rogers can't cut it.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As always we need to take the best most explosive player with our first pick. Be it QB,RB,DE, etc... take the best, highest graded out player. AR should start, if he's here, when BF rides off in to the sunset. We then spend a little on a decent Vet,i.e. Kitna type as insurance and guidance. I get the feeling if BF decides to come back next year,GB will trade AR for picks.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
If Drew Stanton or Brady Quinn is available, I take either, without hesitation. If not, I hand over the keys to A-Rod, unless I can get Schaub for a 3rd round pick and replace Rodgers with a third or higher.

I agree it depends who's available. I'd take Quinn and let him compete with Rodgers.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not really bothered if we dont get Adrian Peterson in the 1st round, the depth in RB in the draft is gonna be deep and i definitely we can get a decent one in the 2nd or 3rd round ala the jags with maurice jones drew this year.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Schaub or Rogers. I think Schaub is going to be something real special and is a good fit in the West Coast. If you could get him I think you do it and let Schaub and Rogers fight for the job.

With that said it's going to be Rogers.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i get the feeling schaub is gonna go somewhere where he has a better chance to start regardless of the quality of the team aorund him.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tiger said:
i get the feeling schaub is gonna go somewhere where he has a better chance to start regardless of the quality of the team aorund him.

If Favre retires, then he'd have a very good chance of starting. No matter where he goes, he'll have to compete for his job. At least against Rodgers he's competing against a guy without much experience.

The thing that will keep him out of GB though is that TT will not pay him as much as other teams will. Right now there are many teams in need of a good QB: e.g. Redskins, Cowboys, Raiders, Bucs, etc. There are at least 3 teams right there that would pay him more than TT.

C-Mize

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly think Brett Favre is staying for 1 more year after this. Leading my to believe that Rodgers will have a bout a 75% chance of being traded, or 25% chance of riding the bench for a 3rd year. If Favre goes & we are in position to draft Quinn, I say we take him.

furferret2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say give it to Rodgers. He knows your offense better than any of those guys and he's proven just as much NFL credibility as any of them.

furferret2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
Unless we can get schaub for a reasonable price (which isn't happening because ATL wants a 1st for him I believe) the its A-rod's time
Schaub should be a free agent at the end of this year. I believe it is his rookie contract though.. so he might be an RFA.

Members online

Latest posts