2 pt conversion last Sunday...and we TIE the game!

GreenNGold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was at the game and was baffled when Mike Sherman kicked an extra point. I remember in KC when Gunther Cunningham failed to go for two points and lost a game. Don't these coaches have a card with the scenarios when and when not to go for two? I know so many things contributed to the loss...besides Farves interceptions and Hedersons fumble, the missed field goal...and the blown call on the fumble recovery...to name a few...But...come on Sherman...go for two and make it and we tie the game...anyways...

I bleed GREEN N GOLD!!!

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At that point of the game there was a ton of time left on the clock. Sherman didn't want to leave points on the field, so he took the "sure thing" point after.

If "reliable" Longwell would have hit that FG, no problem. If we scored a TD after Carroll's INT, no problem. If we scored on numerous drives in the 2nd half after the defense stopped TB, no problem.

We lost that game in many ways. There's no way we should have lost with all the chances our offense had to score and didn't.

Sherman's mistake wasn't not going for the extra point. The 2 biggest mistakes were not letting Williams run in for a TD at the end of the game and letting 2 minutes run off the clock at the end of the 1st half.

24-16 means that we'd only have a TD and 2-point conversion to tie the game.

A 2-minute drill drive to get a FG at the end of the half would have been a boost to the offense and the team. Not going for it was like telling the team they couldn't do it.

Go ahead and pick on Sherman's decisions, but those 2 were his big mistakes.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
The two point conversion would have been the wrong call. You don't go for two that early in the game.

If we made the two point conversion.
TB - 17
GB - 14
TB makes a FG we can win with one score and PAT

If we missed the two point conversion.
TB - 17
GB - 12
TB makes FG we are two scores from tying

We kick the FG
TB - 17
GB - 13
TB makes a FG we are still one score away from tying

Consider the percentage of PATs made vs 2pt conversions made, the PAT was better decision especially that early in the game. I do see your argument. I personally would have rather the Packers went for it instead of kicking the FG in the fourth quarter.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be honest, I was hoping that Sherman would have challenged the play on T-Murph's reception. I know it wouldn't have been a first down but it would have moved the FG to even closer range. I think we all just rely on Longwell being automatic but the conditions were difficult that day. I say win the challenge and turn that 42 yarder into more like a 34 yarder and the ball would have snuck through the uprights. Hindsight is grand, isn't it?

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my humble the 2 point conversion would have been the wrong move at that point in the game. The percentages are against you. Sherman did right by kicking the "sure" point after.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
At that point of the game there was a ton of time left on the clock. Sherman didn't want to leave points on the field, so he took the "sure thing" point after.

If "reliable" Longwell would have hit that FG, no problem. If we scored a TD after Carroll's INT, no problem. If we scored on numerous drives in the 2nd half after the defense stopped TB, no problem.

We lost that game in many ways. There's no way we should have lost with all the chances our offense had to score and didn't.

Sherman's mistake wasn't not going for the extra point. The 2 biggest mistakes were not letting Williams run in for a TD at the end of the game and letting 2 minutes run off the clock at the end of the 1st half.

24-16 means that we'd only have a TD and 2-point conversion to tie the game.

A 2-minute drill drive to get a FG at the end of the half would have been a boost to the offense and the team. Not going for it was like telling the team they couldn't do it.

Go ahead and pick on Sherman's decisions, but those 2 were his big mistakes.

I agree with you a 100% specially on the 2 minute drill !!!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Sherman defended the 2 minute drill by saying the play was called in with 20 seconds left on the clock. I don't know about you guys, it seemed the Packers wasted a whole lot of time on that drive knowing they needed on onside kick for a chance to win the game.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:
In my humble the 2 point conversion would have been the wrong move at that point in the game. The percentages are against you. Sherman did right by kicking the "sure" point after.

exactly

i'm against doing two pointers unless it's absolute end of the game backs against the wall time...with as much time as was left i don'tthink about going for two

you guys know i will drop everything to rush to my computer, to this forum to bash mike sherman but...if we convert on one extra point this thread is an afterthought, without the two pointer we still had a chance to win the game late, what sherman was playing for...i'll let mike sherman slide on this one

Members online

Latest posts