1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2 pt conversion last Sunday...and we TIE the game!

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by GreenNGold, Sep 30, 2005.

1. GreenNGold

GreenNGold Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was at the game and was baffled when Mike Sherman kicked an extra point. I remember in KC when Gunther Cunningham failed to go for two points and lost a game. Don't these coaches have a card with the scenarios when and when not to go for two? I know so many things contributed to the loss...besides Farves interceptions and Hedersons fumble, the missed field goal...and the blown call on the fumble recovery...to name a few...But...come on Sherman...go for two and make it and we tie the game...anyways...

I bleed GREEN N GOLD!!!
  2. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the site GreenNGold.

Moved to the Packer Fan Forum.
  3. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    At that point of the game there was a ton of time left on the clock. Sherman didn't want to leave points on the field, so he took the "sure thing" point after.

If "reliable" Longwell would have hit that FG, no problem. If we scored a TD after Carroll's INT, no problem. If we scored on numerous drives in the 2nd half after the defense stopped TB, no problem.

We lost that game in many ways. There's no way we should have lost with all the chances our offense had to score and didn't.

Sherman's mistake wasn't not going for the extra point. The 2 biggest mistakes were not letting Williams run in for a TD at the end of the game and letting 2 minutes run off the clock at the end of the 1st half.

24-16 means that we'd only have a TD and 2-point conversion to tie the game.

A 2-minute drill drive to get a FG at the end of the half would have been a boost to the offense and the team. Not going for it was like telling the team they couldn't do it.

Go ahead and pick on Sherman's decisions, but those 2 were his big mistakes.
  4. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    The two point conversion would have been the wrong call. You don't go for two that early in the game.

If we made the two point conversion.
    TB - 17
    GB - 14
    TB makes a FG we can win with one score and PAT

If we missed the two point conversion.
    TB - 17
    GB - 12
    TB makes FG we are two scores from tying

We kick the FG
    TB - 17
    GB - 13
    TB makes a FG we are still one score away from tying

Consider the percentage of PATs made vs 2pt conversions made, the PAT was better decision especially that early in the game. I do see your argument. I personally would have rather the Packers went for it instead of kicking the FG in the fourth quarter.
  5. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    To be honest, I was hoping that Sherman would have challenged the play on T-Murph's reception. I know it wouldn't have been a first down but it would have moved the FG to even closer range. I think we all just rely on Longwell being automatic but the conditions were difficult that day. I say win the challenge and turn that 42 yarder into more like a 34 yarder and the ball would have snuck through the uprights. Hindsight is grand, isn't it?
  6. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    That would have used up our second and last challenge. The go for FG attempt i agree with.
  7. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    In my humble the 2 point conversion would have been the wrong move at that point in the game. The percentages are against you. Sherman did right by kicking the "sure" point after.
  8. Chamuko

Chamuko Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you a 100% specially on the 2 minute drill !!!
  9. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Mike Sherman defended the 2 minute drill by saying the play was called in with 20 seconds left on the clock. I don't know about you guys, it seemed the Packers wasted a whole lot of time on that drive knowing they needed on onside kick for a chance to win the game.
  10. sixone220

sixone220 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i remember when the packers coaches hoped for 40 secs in the half so favre could go to work
  11. HatestheEagles084

HatestheEagles084 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    exactly

i'm against doing two pointers unless it's absolute end of the game backs against the wall time...with as much time as was left i don'tthink about going for two

you guys know i will drop everything to rush to my computer, to this forum to bash mike sherman but...if we convert on one extra point this thread is an afterthought, without the two pointer we still had a chance to win the game late, what sherman was playing for...i'll let mike sherman slide on this one